Can not drive the car, phone key working

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had wired problem happened twice in the last 4 months since I got my model 3.
I unlock the door with my phone and sit inside of car as usual, screen turns on as well as the driver profile adjustments, all working good, until I flip the drive stick, nothing happened.
I tried go out of car, lock, unlock again, but it didn't help. Finally, I tried to turn off and turn on the bluetooth of my phone, the car responded and I was able to drive. It is wired since the phone app showing phone key is connected while I'm finding ways to drive my car.
Just want to share this experience in case someone have same problem.
BTW: my phone is iPhone 8 plus.

Vin

Country
Country
I had wired problem happened twice in the last 4 months since I got my model 3.
I unlock the door with my phone and sit inside of car as usual, screen turns on as well as the driver profile adjustments, all working good, until I flip the drive stick, nothing happened.
I tried go out of car, lock, unlock again, but it didn't help. Finally, I tried to turn off and turn on the bluetooth of my phone, the car responded and I was able to drive. It is wired since the phone app showing phone key is connected while I'm finding ways to drive my car.
Just want to share this experience in case someone have same problem.
BTW: my phone is iPhone 8 plus.
I just had this happen 2 days ago for the first time. I'm on update 32.2 so maybe it's an issue related to that version?
I entered the car and my screen came on as it normally does, and car was in park and showed the normal P symbol.
I went to shift gear to D and nothing happened, it remained in P. I put it in R and still nothing. I had that sinking feeling as I was on a schedule to go somewhere.
I pressed the accelerator in case it was just the screen issue, but the car itself still didn't move.
I rebooted the car by holding both steering wheel nobs. When it came back still nothing, it remained in Park and didn't shift gears.
I then exited the car and walked away far enough to enable autolock/horn beep.

When I came back, I opened door sat in seat and luckily this time all was fine, car shifted, I drove about 50 miles with no issue. So far so good, but that did worry me.
BTW I have Iphone8 and the phone has been connecting very well (99% of the time)

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
All you need to do is turn your phone's Bluetooth off and on, even though the app tells you there is no problem on the phone key connection. At least this worked in my case.

Vin

Country
Country
All you need to do is turn your phone's Bluetooth off and on, even though the app tells you there is no problem on the phone key connection. At least this worked in my case.
Ok good to know. I was hoping it's just some bluetooth error and not something major, since it was the first time this ever happened to me in 2 months of owning my car.
I'd hate to have to use the new M3 key fob when it comes out, but I may eventually give in, even though my key card is easy to use by holding my wallet to pillar without having to take out card.
Thx

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen on rare occasion and usually it has been a case of waiting a few seconds for the car to respond. It seemed like the car took a little longer to fully wake up and allow any drive mode to be engaged. Could be totally different to what you are experiencing but next time give it a minute to respond and see what happens.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has happened to me 3 times today. Very annoying. Update to 32.2 on Wednesday, and then went on vacation, sadly without my M3. Got back today and took Th car out for a few errands. Happened every time I got in the car to drive. Recognizes the phone well enough to open the doors, but then won't let you drive. Don't understand it. This happened to me a few times on a previous release, but I don't remember which one. Hope they sort it out soon.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen 3 times since 32.2 and it had never happened prior to this update.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speaking of putting it in drive, mine requires me to push the stalk down twice, then gives me the "auto pilot not ready" error... seems like to go into drive I should just push it down once?

(that's not the actual error but it's something like that...)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speaking of putting it in drive, mine requires me to push the stalk down twice, then gives me the "auto pilot not ready" error... seems like to go into drive I should just push it down once?

(that's not the actual error but it's something like that...)
This happens to me on occasion also but if I wait for a second after pushing the brake pedal it only takes one push down. It's like the car needs a bit more time between pedal push and asking it to go into gear.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happens to me on occasion also but if I wait for a second after pushing the brake pedal it only takes one push down. It's like the car needs a bit more time between pedal push and asking it to go into gear.
Your note describes what drove me crazy initially and then I noticed this.

When you press the brake pedal for the first time after power up, look at the very top, left side of the Touchscreen. All the icons come on briefly. Like an ICE doing a systems check before you can drive.

Wait for that to clear and its only 1 push down.

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen twice and it was fixed both times with a normal reset. Interesting to hear that Bluetooth might also be an issue, will try that if it ever happens again (haven't saw it after the new update).

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This just happened to me. Of course I had friends with me who were interested in the Model 3. We all got in the car. I tried to put it in drive. Nothing... Stayed in park, didn't ask me to authenticate to drive, just nothing. Tried to reset using the scroll wheels, nothing. Had to ask everyone to get out of the car so it would shut down. We were all standing on the street in the middle of the city looking inside the windows waiting for the screen to turn off. Super embarrassing but once we got back inside everything was fine. I love this car, I just wish when it was going to act up it would wait until I was alone!

Bama3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had this happen 2 days ago for the first time. I'm on update 32.2 so maybe it's an issue related to that version?
I entered the car and my screen came on as it normally does, and car was in park and showed the normal P symbol.
I went to shift gear to D and nothing happened, it remained in P. I put it in R and still nothing. I had that sinking feeling as I was on a schedule to go somewhere.
I pressed the accelerator in case it was just the screen issue, but the car itself still didn't move.
I rebooted the car by holding both steering wheel nobs. When it came back still nothing, it remained in Park and didn't shift gears.
I then exited the car and walked away far enough to enable autolock/horn beep.

When I came back, I opened door sat in seat and luckily this time all was fine, car shifted, I drove about 50 miles with no issue. So far so good, but that did worry me.
BTW I have Iphone8 and the phone has been connecting

Trebonius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Every time I've tried to shift to drive and nothing happened, it's because my foot wasn't on the brake pedal. I'm not saying that's necessarily what's happening here, but most people don't mention whether their foot is on the brake pedal, so it's hard to say.