1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Canceling a Reservation

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by notsure, Apr 8, 2016.

More threads by notsure
  1. notsure

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Upstate, NY
    #1 notsure, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Update April 13: Mailed a cancellation first class letter 4/12, and sent another web contact cancellation at the Tesla website today. I have not received the Tesla cancellation email promised 4/7, or any answers to my web contact submissions. A reply by email or snail mail confirming a cancellation would be good.

Has anyone who canceled a reservation received a refund yet?

Update April 12: I have not yet received the cancellation email promised on 4/7. I sure hope that I do not have to start this process over again in 10-15 days.

Just for info, here is my experience canceling. I would love to own a Tesla someday, but after some more thought, just not the model 3 just now.

Called before the reveal, told that refunds are quick, but after more than one year refunds take 3 days by paper check.

Reserved online at first web chance before the reveal, my card was charged quickly (March 31, 2016).

Decided over the weekend the model 3, a fantastic vehicle, is just not for me now.

I called Monday, cancellations were not possible because of the unexpected large number of orders. I was told to try again maybe Thursday (4/7) or Friday.

Canceled by phone Thurs. 4/7, told cancellation email would follow, with refund in 10-15 days.

I received another confirmation email evening of 4/7, possibly they needed to make another step of confirmation as part of the cx process.

Just one experience, not great, but not horrible (so far), so you know what to expect should you decide to, or need to cancel a reservation. It is a little surprising that with everything computer automated that 200k reservations break a system that was intended for 50k reservations, unless they literally have people processing each and every reservation. There does not seem to be an online way to cancel directly or automatically, so I guess each cancellation is an individual phone call. When I tried to confirm my cx online, I noticed there is now cancellation item on their online contact page.

I hope the alternative is not true, that they want to keep the reservation numbers high, or want the "float" on the advanced funds by intentionally delaying refunds. I had to explain why I was cancelling, but it was not as hard as cancelling satellite TV.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Stephane Lamarche

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Tennessee
      Thanks for sharing

• notsure

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Upstate, NY
      #3 notsure, Apr 15, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
      April 29: Three weeks now from my phone cx on 4/7, no refund yet.

Update April 26: Paid my credit card, so now I am officially loaning my funds to Tesla :) With the cancellation term missing from the contract, they may be relying on some California commercial default contract period, possibly 30 days? Any CA admitted lawyers here? I am pretty sure that eventually it will turn out okay, it is just a pain to get the refund.

Update April 20: Possible progress, still have not received the cancellation email, or any answers to my web form submissions, however now MY TESLA page says "Cancellation has been initiated for this order."

Update April 15: I am not happy about the 4/7 phone estimate of 10-15 days for a refund to my credit card, but I am especially worried now that Tesla motors did not send the promised cancellation email, or reply to web form submissions to cancel. In California, do you contact the Attorney General office when there may be Corporate malfeasance? It is hard to believe Tesla will not honor the refund, but the lack of the promised email reply is starting to concern me.

The contract says Tesla Motors will refund, but not when. or how long it takes. I sure hope there is no funny business in their actual "refund" policy.

• Stephane Lamarche

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Tennessee
      I would definitely try to contact Tesla again about this. They may be a little overwhelmed by all the requests and it could delay the process of getting a refund. I'm sure Tesla will make it right for you.

• teslaliving

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      I had an X reservation ($5K) which I cancelled after I test drove it (just wasn't for me). They fedex'd me a check (for full amount). I cancelled on March 7, got the check on March 30, so about 3 weeks.

They're not a big company and don't do a ton of this so it takes them sometime. I believe they'll do the right thing and make it right but you will need some patience as in all things Tesla (except when you hit the pedal at a light!)

• notsure

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Upstate, NY
      #6 notsure, Apr 30, 2016
      Last edited: May 2, 2016
      Got my refund, all is good in the world :)

The three week estimate was about right.

Pretty funny, not a Tesla issue, now Discover says it takes up to 15 days to refund the funds to my bank account.

• Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California
      I too received my refund in a timely fashion. It was sent to my credit card account, without any snags.

I love the Model 3, as presented thus far, but have decided to wait until I am confident that the Tesla infrastructure is up to the task of building the vehicle in sufficient numbers to meet demand and to maintain high quality standards.

I purchased a 2016 KIA Soul EV+ and applied for and received the residential California cash rebate of $2,500, another reason to postpone purchase, since a stipulation of the rebate is the we keep the KIA, or any all electric for that matter, for 30 months. Otherwise, there is a pro rata stipulation that we pay back a portion or all of that money.

• TeslaPod

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Bethpage, NY
      I had a deposit on a model S and had a similar experience, was about 3 weeks prior to a charge back on my credit card

• PTFI

FIRST OWNER!
      FIRST MODEL 3 OWNER
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California
      Country
      Thanks for sharing

• dudeman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Philadelphia
      Country
      If a credit card company, a financial company, whose primary business is to support money transactions is taking 15 days for this, I think 3 weeks from tesla is not that bad at all. ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        Excellent point. You get your money back, at any time until you commit your order... what's a few weeks when the lead time is two years!! :D