1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Cant play a song twice?

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by MrMatt, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MrMatt

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Got my M3 yesterday! but I'm sure there's something I'm missing here.

I use the voice command and say "play the song Walk like an Egyptian" (daughter loves it) and it searches and then brings up the right song by the Bangles and plays it via streaming.

Later that day, I use the voice command to say the exact same thing and it searches and plays another song by the Bangles. huh?

I have tried this with other songs and it seems I cannot play the same song more than once?? Anyone else see this? Is this a TuneIn limitation or something (not familiar with TuneIn).

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. jn31l

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This command uses Slacker Radio (not TuneIn - its the tab that says "streaming"). If you are using the free account that you got with the car it functions similarly to Pandora...though you can ask for a specific song, just not multiple times a day for the same song. When it plays the song you ask for it will then create a "Radio Station" for you with similar music.

If you want this ability you can upgrade to a Slacker premium account on their website: https://www.slacker.com

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrMatt

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #3 MrMatt, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
    thanks, @jn311. we may end up upgrading.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amit Misra

Expand Collapse

Just to be clear, is the limitation only on the same day? Can you repeat the song the next day? Thanks.

5. jn31l

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Not sure the exact amount of time, reported to be about a day from what I remember

6. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I think the $30/yr option doesn’t give you music on demand. You have to get the highest tier. I had this question too when I first got my car. Now I just live with it.

7. jn31l

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That’s correct, the tier that comes with the car is most similar to the 30/yr tier on their website. The $9.99/mo tier is what you have to get to have unlimited specific song plays.

8. quikwit

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    You can upgrade your M3 slacker subscription? I assume Tesla is on some big corporate account and everyone gets the "Plus" subscription, with no way for individuals to upgrade to "Premium".

9. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    My experience says yes. It seems to be a 24-hour thing.

10. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    IIRC you can log in to your personal Slacker from the 3 if you already have the premium account. To be clear, you should have that premium account separately as a individual, it’s not an option to upgrade on the 3 per se.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Slacker, but I am a big fan of "built-in beats jury-rigged." So despite the fact that my family pays for a shared Spotify family plan, I also subscribed to Slacker premium. I really do not like the "radio" format like Slacker and Pandora use by default, where you ask for one song or artist, and are presented stuff "like that."

I also paid for a little service called Soundiiz that let me copy my playlists over to Slacker.

The end result is that my Spotify playlists (now Slacker playlists) are found on the Model 3 at Streaming-->Playlists now. The rest of the family have their playlists there, too. We all like that.

I would be much happier with Slacker in Model 3 if you could add any song that you're listening to quickly to a playlist. As it stands, you can only add a song to a playlist from your phone or computer. But I'd much rather be able to do it from the car as I'm hearing a new song.

Slacker's song selection is more limited than Spotify's, so I lost about 5% of my songs when my playlists came over. If Slacker allowed adding songs to playlists and improved their library (not holding my breath for that one), I'd stop wishing for Spotify in Model 3.

P.S. No need to suggest how easy it is to play songs via Bluetooth. I get that. I really like using the car's display for music, since I typically pull up a playlist, but then poke songs on the list as I want to play them, rather than going through linearly. I also jump to other channels like SportsCenter, radio stations, and podcasts. And I'd rather have the big screen for all that.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Twiglett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I grabbed a cheap 64g USB key and stuck a bunch of music on that.
    It’s nice because search will look on the usb as well. Sadly it doesn’t search Bluetooth attached devices. Using usb also means the music is in the car regardless of whose phone is paired.

13. Star3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    I am not on twitter but if any of you guys are why don't you tweet Elon and ask him why he can send a rocket to space and bring it back but cant make model 3 that can receive XM radio? For me not having XM capability is a really bummer.

14. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    For the same reason it doesn't have an 8-track deck, cassette player, or CD player - it's old technology that's no longer in high demand.

Streaming is the future. For anything else, there's Bluetooth.

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/blog/a-bluetooth-siriusxm-radio-vehicle-dock-is-here/

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mohammad

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    It would be really cool if they switch to Spotify.