Car cover - what's the best cover that is actually available?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Which model 3 car cover is best?

• EV Annex

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • One of the Covercraft variants

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wait for the official Tesla cover to come back in stock

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • The car bubble is a "must have for the Model 3"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JeffcM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was thinking about getting one of these...

https://www.carid.com/car-capsule/carcapsule-outdoor-car-cover-16913376.html

B^)

But seriously.. i'd like to have a cover for times when i need to leave the car for an extended time (in the driveway) and want to keep the tree schnitzel off it, etc.

Tesla seems to be eternally sold out of covers. (Btw, anyone know who makes the official tesla cover?)

Alternatives?
I know i should have one with a front vent. And ideally something that doesn't block wifi too much. I don't really need a charge port flap (nice to have). Would prefer something lightweight that doesn't put load on the paint.

EV Annex?
Something from covercraft?

Help us decide!

thx

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got the same question on my mind as we start to count down the days until the snow and ice arrive...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Evannex car cover and have been using it for the past two weeks and love it. It is durable, with a soft inner material, and a more durable plastic material on the outside. I also like the velcro opening for the charging port, as well as the front ventilation for the battery.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought this on Amazon. Soft inner material and waterproof. I'm going to have a charging port cut out at upholstery shop. For $80 it's worth a try.
XtremeCoverPro Car Covers Ready fit for TESLA MODEL 3 SEDAN 2018 UV Protection Vehicle Accessories Breathable Car Cover Indoor Outdoor Protection

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought this on Amazon. Soft inner material and waterproof. I'm going to have a charging port cut out at upholstery shop. For $80 it's worth a try.
XtremeCoverPro Car Covers Ready fit for TESLA MODEL 3 SEDAN 2018 UV Protection Vehicle Accessories Breathable Car Cover Indoor Outdoor Protection
Let us know how it works. The problem I see is there is no front opening mesh to allow cooling and airflow while charging your model 3. So be careful

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always recommend the CoverCraft weathershield HP covers. I've owned 6 of these over the last several years and now have the Model 3 cover which fits great and has the needed cutouts. As someone who has used car covers on all my sports cars since my first TR3 back in 1963 I have a little experience in what a cover needs to have to be something that you keep using easily day in and day out. Cleaning it is very important. Put a dirty cover on a clean car and you have a dirty car. The great thing about the weathershield HP is that it can easily be washed and dried in home machines. Virtually all other weatherproof covers, especially those with soft linings cannot be dried in home driers and few can be washed in home machines. In addition the weathershield is compact and lightweight, easily stowed in a small space.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was thinking about getting one of these...

https://www.carid.com/car-capsule/carcapsule-outdoor-car-cover-16913376.html

B^)

But seriously.. i'd like to have a cover for times when i need to leave the car for an extended time (in the driveway) and want to keep the tree schnitzel off it, etc.

Tesla seems to be eternally sold out of covers. (Btw, anyone know who makes the official tesla cover?)

Alternatives?
I know i should have one with a front vent. And ideally something that doesn't block wifi too much. I don't really need a charge port flap (nice to have). Would prefer something lightweight that doesn't put load on the paint.

EV Annex?
Something from covercraft?

Help us decide!

thx
I purchased my M3 in September and I tried to purchase the cover from Tesla for 6 weeks. I kept trying nearly daily until I was able to place my order. I looked into the Evannex cover but decided to wait because I didn't want any issue with the car and have Tesla say it was because I was using a non Tesla cover. I agree that being able to throw the cover in the washing machine is a big advantage to keeping it clean, which I don't believe you can do with this cover.. The Tesla cover is light weight, easy to install and remove and fits like a glove. My car is not garage kept and I want to keep it as NEW as possible for as long as possible.

JeffcM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Due to time constraints I bough a “medium” size cover from pep boys. It is ok, and served the purpose of keeping tree snitzel off the car while we were gone for a couple weeks. It doesn’t quit fit — needs some stretching .. and I’ve only used it in good weather.
I also got a covercraft HP (with vents), but haven’t used it yet.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are going to use the cover inside to protect against dust, then you don't really need a custom fit cover. Just one that is lightweight and easy enough to put on and take off and keep clean. For the front vent just don't pull the cover all the way down in front. I can't believe that the front wheel vents make any difference given all the space around the wheels that opens at the bottom of the car. For the charge port you could just make a flap yourself or there may be space under a generic cover. For a couple of months while I was waiting for the weathershield HP, I used a weathershield gen II Volt cover on the our first model 3 and now use it as the very occasional cover on our second 3. On that cover there is plenty of space to just pull the cover down over the charge cable on the 3 without putting any stress on the cable.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are going to use the cover inside to protect against dust, then you don't really need a custom fit cover. Just one that is lightweight and easy enough to put on and take off and keep clean. For the front vent just don't pull the cover all the way down in front. I can't believe that the front wheel vents make any difference given all the space around the wheels that opens at the bottom of the car. For the charge port you could just make a flap yourself or there may be space under a generic cover. For a couple of months while I was waiting for the weathershield HP, I used a weathershield gen II Volt cover on the our first model 3 and now use it as the very occasional cover on our second 3. On that cover there is plenty of space to just pull the cover down over the charge cable on the 3 without putting any stress on the cable.
That is true. I just need something soft. My wife could make a charge port flap. She is handy with a sewing machine.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I waited until the Tesla cover was available and purchased it. It fits like a glove. Unfortunately with any cover, when it rains and you want to remove the cover, you have an issue with trying to keep the inside soft fabric dry and clean. I guess the only solution is not to drive the car in the rain.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, great! Now I can only drive my Model 3 twelve days (fifteen if I'm lucky) until next May!
I purchased a cover from CarCover for my Crossfire convertible and it doesn't compare to the Tesla cover. The CarCover brand is light weight and doesn't have the same thickness inside soft fabric. It is also not a custom fit and needs to be secured as I do leave both cars ourdoors.