Country
Country

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great find! I like that kit and the price is not bad either. I might give that a try once I get my car. Anyone know a good shop by the factory that would do the install? I’m considering a factory pickup and it would be nice to have this on for the road trip home, otherwise I’d install myself.

Impatient

Country
Country
If it's anything like tinting my own windows, no thanks. I've never cussed more at a car than I did that day. Every hair, crease, airborne bit of flotsam, etc. caused small bubbles and imperfections. I must have gone through 10 gallons of soap solution, too. It was a beating. I swore I'd never tint my own car windows again.

I have SunTek on the entire front, and the roof, of my Model S and I love it. I paid about $3500 to get it done. I would have liked to get the entire car wrapped but that would have been about $6k because this particular installer cuts and wraps every edge by hand.

When I was shopping around for clear wrap, I spoke with the Xpel factory in Austin, TX. They quoted a much lower price (about the same $3500 or so for the entire car) but they told me they use pre-cut templates instead of hand wrapping each edge. After thinking about it, I decided that I'd rather have the most damage prone areas done perfectly than the entire car done with potentially unattractive edges and no edge wrapping.

Now that time has passed, however, I'm wondering if I made the right call. Never once have I found myself thinking "Man, I have awesome edges. I'm so special." I have, however, often wished that the entire car were wrapped instead of just the front end, mirrors, and roof.

I'm now on the fence about the 3. Do I wrap it at all or just declare "it's just a car, dammit!" and treat it like any other car by washing it once every now and then, driving it through the car wash when the mood strikes me, and generally just driving it and not worrying. Or, do I wrap it? If I wrap it, do I just do the front end or do I wrap it all? (Unlike the S, the 3 must live outside because of space limitations.) If I wrap it all, do I take it to the Xpel factory and perhaps save thousands on the full body wrap?

I guess I should decide this soon. Presumably my invitation could occur with little warning in a matter of days or weeks.

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

GTV6

Country
Country
It's probably easy the third or fourth time you do it! These things have a learning curve. (I took me 3 tries to get the screen protector "perfect" on my IPhone).
i was speaking to a well-regarded clear protective wrap professional last week. He had just bought a Toyota ForRunner with the typical Japanese origami front bumper. It was the first of this particular model he had done. He used pieces that he cut on his printer from licensed patterns. It took him 6 tries and he still was not quite satisfied. I don't think most of us could ever do a satisfactory job. We might be decent at detailing, but wrapping takes incredible knowledge, expensive materials that are difficult to handle, and requires huge focus and hand-eye coordination. Skill rather than just effort.

I love the protectant coating (Modesta) i've had on my TDI for almost 3 years, but wish I could just buzz through the car wash during those sub-zero stretches when you can't tell what color the car is (was). I think i could but it would clearly shorten the life of an expensive treatment.

Country
Country
For those in Orange County who want their Model 3 wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, please go to Elite Clear Bra in Huntington Beach. Craig will do the job right and treat you well. Check him out. He went above and beyond for me and went the extra mile. Got my entire front end done, the premium package, but he threw in a few bonuses that left me happy.

duckfriedrice

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
For those in Orange County who want their Model 3 wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, please go to Elite Clear Bra in Huntington Beach. Craig will do the job right and treat you well. Check him out. He went above and beyond for me and went the extra mile. Got my entire front end done, the premium package, but he threw in a few bonuses that left me happy.
Do you have pics We can see of where the bra stops and what is covered? I am nervous about a partial wrap due to inconsistency.

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
how much did you pay?

Country
Country
I too am curious. I see people in other areas doing group buys for wraps... has anyone in the LA/Orange area tried to do this?
1850 cash for the premium package — front bumper, lights, full fenders, full hood, side mirrors. Craig the owner threw in a few nice extras like rear bumper lip protection without me having to ask and got it done in a morning. Thumbs up. Go to this place, tell him Dan with the black Model 3 sent you...

duckfriedrice

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
1850 cash for the premium package — front bumper, lights, full fenders, full hood, side mirrors. Craig the owner threw in a few nice extras like rear bumper lip protection without me having to ask and got it done in a morning. Thumbs up. Go to this place, tell him Dan with the black Model 3 sent you...
I'd love to see yours sometime if you're around west LA.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordeord kits from carprotectionpros for another car, bumper and wrapped edge hood. Hopefully I will get it on soon and if it goes well I will also do the 3, otherwise will have to pony up and pay the premium for the pros to do it.

Country
Country
I was considering going this route but called around first. After calling a couple of places and asking if they would install the kit at an hourly rate I got a couple of places to offer their "dealer" rate and got them to do a 3m install for around $1k for full front with headlights and mirrors as well as "damage area" like door jams and trunk

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So putting on the PPF (3M Scotchguard Pro) on another vehicle, I think that next time it won't be bad to do. However I do have concerns about getting it cleanly on the bumper curves because it does not stretch much so will be hard to get smooth. Car I did was huge SUV hood which was a real pain because it was enormous and I couldn't reach the center of the hood and it did not stretch well to wrap around all edges. I think model 3 hood will be easy being smaller, but fenders may be a little bit difficult. On the car I did it had a complex bumper that took some time but not too hard because no weird curves. It is hard to smooth down spots on edges if not stretched out over wider parts (so you don't have excess on edge). After I do ceramic I will decide, if it goes on well then I will do the 3 myself also. I know the PPF won't be perfect but it is protection for keeping the paint mostly perfect.