Center Console - a losing game

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the matte black center console vinyl from Abstract Ocean and started installing it and the pressure from the squeegee squeezing out the air is enough to permanently mark it

I decided to get this because of the OE material's penchant to get scratches from nowhere but it seems this is absolutely no better. Do all of the finish options mark this easily or did I just pick the worst one?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think you should try again. You shouldn't need that much pressure to get an air bubble out, but if the squeegee is at an angle it could mar. A heat gun helps, but if there's a stubborn air bubble just take a needle and prick it.

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If a soft plastic tool designed to smooth out the vinyl did this then it's got no chance against any hard objects that it comes into contact with; fingernails, rings, pocket change.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought I had permanently marked mine too but left it alone and a few days later I couldn’t see the scratch anymore. FYI.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
PPF usually self-heals with some heat. Leave the car in the sun on a hot day or try a hair dryer for a minute or two

mkg3

Country
Country
....I decided to get this because of the OE material's penchant to get scratches from nowhere but it seems this is absolutely no better. Do all of the finish options mark this easily or did I just pick the worst one?

Actually, it did what its supposed to. You put the film so that the original layer
doesn't get scratched (shine is a. separate issue and not mentioned). Instead, the cover got scratched.

In other words, its a physical fuse. It
scratched instead of console; hence saving it.

Dogwhistle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same vinyl from AO, and thought I had scratched it pretty good too. As others have mentioned, the scratches seemed to fade away after a few days/weeks. Looks just fine now, a month later.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After sitting in the sun for a day it did self-heal. I did the rest of the console and it's far better than the stock gloss. It should've come this way from the factory.
Absolutely agree. Wasn’t sure about the matt Black when I first put it on but after about a day I decided I really liked it. Really blends in and looks stock vs some of the other patterns. No desire to go back at all