Center console removal

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Corey

Country
Country
Has anyone tried to remove the piano black center console plastic? Everyone is wrapping these things and having a difficult time. I was thinking if the 3 main pieces can be removed, couldn't they be dipped? I'm guessing it must be hard or someone would have already did it????

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried to remove the piano black center console plastic? Everyone is wrapping these things and having a difficult time. I was thinking if the 3 main pieces can be removed, couldn't they be dipped? I'm guessing it must be hard or someone would have already did it????
I haven’t seen all of the pieces removed, but i1Tesla did remove the phone tray cover to make an iPad Mini Dock

Corey

Country
Country
Because the front 2 pieces are covers that hinge, I would guess these would be easy to remove. The cupholder piece might be the hardest.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because the front 2 pieces are covers that hinge, I would guess these would be easy to remove. The cupholder piece might be the hardest.
or possibly plastic welded (IE one piece has a pin that fits into a hole on another piece, then that pin is hit with heat to fuse it to the hole) to the larger structure of the center console below. I've seen that done in other cars for similar pieces

GRiMm-V-

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So at delivery, I received a car with a few scratches, one of the locations being the cupholder piece of the console. Tesla ordered a new one for me and showed the new part prior to replacing it. There are quite a few contacts in that piece (key card reader signals etc)assuming you are successful in pulling it out, be careful to cover the contactors if you are planning on dipping it.

Vistan

Country
Country
chojn1:

We need some words to go along with your pics...looks like there's another piece that goes under the cover that has the six female clip receptacles.

Vistan

Vistan

Country
Country
Chojn1:

That 'splains it! It appears that you can pry the top cover off the cupholder plate by lifting up with an appropriate "spudger" tools, i.e., no screws or other fasteners. Is this correct? Do you first have to remove the console side panels? If so, how?

Vistan

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would love to see a quick video on the removal process, if possible Coby.
@theonlysamiam ,

Most of the time I am doing these projects by myself so it is kind of hard to make videos.
I can stop to take photos but making videos would involve a lot more time which I usually don''t have.

CJ

PS. Coby is my son's name. He does use my forum account for PM for the company, but he does not post on the forums.

theonlysamiam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@theonlysamiam ,

Most of the time I am doing these projects by myself so it is kind of hard to make videos.
I can stop to take photos but making videos would involve a lot more time which I usually don''t have.

CJ

PS. Coby is my son's name. He does use my forum account for PM for the company, but he does not post on the forums.
Ahh understandable. So I'm assuming you removed the cover by using a pry tool through the space between the cup holder and the cover?

And my apologies, I assumed Coby was your name when I received the correspondence through the PM.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ahh understandable. So I'm assuming you removed the cover by using a pry tool through the space between the cup holder and the cover?

And my apologies, I assumed Coby was your name when I received the correspondence through the PM.
That is all it takes. Kind of scary at first, but it helps to know where all the clips are.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chojn1:

That 'splains it! It appears that you can pry the top cover off the cupholder plate by lifting up with an appropriate "spudger" tools, i.e., no screws or other fasteners. Is this correct? Do you first have to remove the console side panels? If so, how?

Vistan
Side panels do not have to be removed. I did it for another project.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
How did you remove the Middle of the three sections? I was able to remove the Phone tray door, and the Cup holder section, but not the middle section that has the main door that slides back.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to share my first project that involved installing a dual QC 3.0 USB socket as well as a 12 volt outlet inside the center console. I have a Jeda Wireless Pad and did not want to use their work-around battery to provide the full power to the charging mats.

Here is the result
IMG_1485.jpeg

I chose the following items to install and purchased them from Amazon. I soldiered the power wires into the existing 12 volt socket power in the rear of the console.

Quick Charge 3.0 Car Charger, CHGeek 12V/24V 36W Waterproof Dual QC3.0 USB Fast Charger Socket Power Outlet with LED Digital Voltmeter for Marine, Boat, Motorcycle, Truck, Golf Cart and More (Black)
71SkjMy6mJL._SL1500_.jpg

Cigarette Lighter Socket(LED Blue) Car Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Lighter Socket Power Outlet Socket Receptacle 12V Waterproof Plug by ZHSMS

I did not like the "Marine Cover" that seems to be generic on all of the similar options of these sockets and I found this replacement that had basic 12 V writing embossed on the cover. I will say the insert that holds the cover inside the socket is a little loose and needs to be heated with a heat gun to flare the tabs outward to better secure the cover in the socket.

Dorman 57020 12V Accessory Power Outlet Cover
81Mu64gmeTL._SL1500_.jpg

This project consumed most of my weekend and was not an easy process, but since I could not find much reference on how to remove the cubby form the center console, I wanted to share pictures that I took during the install. I followed instructions that I found here first on how to disassemble the center console and removed the exterior trim, metal trim rails, key card reader / cup holder top plate and cup holder assembly, top lid covering the phones and the tackled the harder part of removing the cubby. The cubby removal was by far the hardest.

Afterwards, I was speaking with my mobile service technician a few days later and I asked him if he had ever removed or disassembled a Model 3 center console and to my surprise he had. His way would have been the easier way as it involved removing the entire console from the car and it was much easier than I ever imagined. The steps he described involved removing the carpet side covers on both sides of the console; remove the 2, 10mm bolts on each side; remove the 2 screws that are recessed inside the cubby under the phone shelf; remove the plastic trim on the rear of the console and remove 2 screws there; and finally as you are removing the console, unplug the Mini USB cable and power wires connected to the USB module on the back side of the cubby and also unplug the other wires feeding the 12 volt socket and USB ports on the rear of the console. This would have prevented me from having to remove the cubby to gain access to drill the holes and mount the sockets. I would imagine I could have taped the power wires for the 12 volt socket there.

Regardless, I did not remove the entire console and instead disassembled the entire thing the hard way. The center cubby was by far the hardest to remove as it is held by several push clips on the bottom as well as the upper part of the back.

IMG_1414.jpeg
Pull up on Cubby from side closest to the middle of the console. It is hard to pull up, but keep pulling. It will release from the 4 clips holding it from the bottom. Once you get it up like this picture, pull towards the rear glass direction very hard and it will release from the rear clips on the dash side of the cubby.

IMG_1415.jpeg
Pull up on Cubby from side closest to the middle of the console. It is hard to pull up, but keep pulling. It will release from the 4 clips holding it from the bottom. Once you get it up like this picture, pull towards the rear glass direction very hard and it will release from the rear clips on the dash side of the cubby.

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg
Notice the 5 clips holding the back of the cubby. This is what you have to pull away from towards the rear glass direction to release.

IMG_1418.jpeg
Remove the connectors going into the USB module and then remove the screws so that you can access the wire holder clips to release them away from the module.

More pictures and details on reply to this post....

Attachments

Last edited: