Center console removal

Corey

Country
Country
Has anyone tried to remove the piano black center console plastic? Everyone is wrapping these things and having a difficult time. I was thinking if the 3 main pieces can be removed, couldn't they be dipped? I'm guessing it must be hard or someone would have already did it????

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone tried to remove the piano black center console plastic? Everyone is wrapping these things and having a difficult time. I was thinking if the 3 main pieces can be removed, couldn't they be dipped? I'm guessing it must be hard or someone would have already did it????
I haven’t seen all of the pieces removed, but i1Tesla did remove the phone tray cover to make an iPad Mini Dock

Corey

Country
Country
Because the front 2 pieces are covers that hinge, I would guess these would be easy to remove. The cupholder piece might be the hardest.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because the front 2 pieces are covers that hinge, I would guess these would be easy to remove. The cupholder piece might be the hardest.
or possibly plastic welded (IE one piece has a pin that fits into a hole on another piece, then that pin is hit with heat to fuse it to the hole) to the larger structure of the center console below. I've seen that done in other cars for similar pieces

GRiMm-V-

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So at delivery, I received a car with a few scratches, one of the locations being the cupholder piece of the console. Tesla ordered a new one for me and showed the new part prior to replacing it. There are quite a few contacts in that piece (key card reader signals etc)assuming you are successful in pulling it out, be careful to cover the contactors if you are planning on dipping it.

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's really just held in with 5 clips?

Edit: 6 ;)

Vistan

Country
Country
chojn1:

We need some words to go along with your pics...looks like there's another piece that goes under the cover that has the six female clip receptacles.

Vistan

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry,
Juggling multiple simultaneous projects today.
20180812_172632.jpg 20180812_172654.jpg

Vistan

Country
Country
Chojn1:

That 'splains it! It appears that you can pry the top cover off the cupholder plate by lifting up with an appropriate "spudger" tools, i.e., no screws or other fasteners. Is this correct? Do you first have to remove the console side panels? If so, how?

Vistan

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would love to see a quick video on the removal process, if possible Coby.
@theonlysamiam ,

Most of the time I am doing these projects by myself so it is kind of hard to make videos.
I can stop to take photos but making videos would involve a lot more time which I usually don''t have.

CJ

PS. Coby is my son's name. He does use my forum account for PM for the company, but he does not post on the forums.

theonlysamiam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@theonlysamiam ,

Most of the time I am doing these projects by myself so it is kind of hard to make videos.
I can stop to take photos but making videos would involve a lot more time which I usually don''t have.

CJ

PS. Coby is my son's name. He does use my forum account for PM for the company, but he does not post on the forums.
Ahh understandable. So I'm assuming you removed the cover by using a pry tool through the space between the cup holder and the cover?

And my apologies, I assumed Coby was your name when I received the correspondence through the PM.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ahh understandable. So I'm assuming you removed the cover by using a pry tool through the space between the cup holder and the cover?

And my apologies, I assumed Coby was your name when I received the correspondence through the PM.
That is all it takes. Kind of scary at first, but it helps to know where all the clips are.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chojn1:

That 'splains it! It appears that you can pry the top cover off the cupholder plate by lifting up with an appropriate "spudger" tools, i.e., no screws or other fasteners. Is this correct? Do you first have to remove the console side panels? If so, how?

Vistan
Side panels do not have to be removed. I did it for another project.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
How did you remove the Middle of the three sections? I was able to remove the Phone tray door, and the Cup holder section, but not the middle section that has the main door that slides back.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How did you remove the Middle of the three sections? I was able to remove the Phone tray door, and the Cup holder section, but not the middle section that has the main door that slides back.
@omegaquest ,
I did not find the need to remove that piece for my projects.