Changing iPhone name

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

TrickorDevice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I was thinking about what would happen if an iPhone that is paired as a key, and for media playback/phone had it's name changed. For instance if the name of the iPhone was Gary's iPhone and it was then changed to Jim, would that impact the interaction between the car and the phone so that the phone couldn't be used as a key or attach to play media?

Is anyone willing to test this?

Thanks.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I was thinking about what would happen if an iPhone that is paired as a key, and for media playback/phone had it's name changed. For instance if the name of the iPhone was Gary's iPhone and it was then changed to Jim, would that impact the interaction between the car and the phone so that the phone couldn't be used as a key or attach to play media?

Thanks.
I don't have a car to test with yet, but likely nothing will happen. Bluetooth just like IP has a real addresses hidden in layers beneath the names. I'm sure those numbers (Mac address) are what are stored and paired with the car. My bet is on an iPhone name change has no impact. Also changing the name of the phone shouldn't make the app itself stop working or have. a change in behavior, so should be a simple test and no impact.

TrickorDevice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have a car to test with yet, but likely nothing will happen. Bluetooth just like IP has a real addresses hidden in layers beneath the names. I'm sure those numbers (Mac address) are what are stored and paired with the car. My bet is on an iPhone name change has no impact. Also changing the name of the phone shouldn't make the app itself stop working or have. a change in behavior, so should be a simple test and no impact.
Thanks for the input. That makes sense and I hope you're right. If anyone is willing to test it, keep us posted!

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can test, but agree with @GDN that likely nothing will happen as the device and car are paired, so it would just see the new name.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sweet! Let me know how it goes!
Will test later tomorrow (my car should be ready at the service center). Alternatively, I can test in the morning with my loaner Model S...

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi all,

Thanks.
Just tested this. The only difference was the phone name changed on the display, but other than that it didn't have any problems, car connected normally and I could use the app just fine. No request for a reset/repair.

TrickorDevice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just tested this. The only difference was the phone name changed on the display, but other than that it didn't have any problems, car connected normally and I could use the app just fine. No request for a reset/repair.
Awesome! Great news, thank you for trying this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once you change the name, you’ll end up multiple phone keys in your car’s setting. To delete old phone key, the car key(card) to do so.

TrickorDevice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once you change the name, you’ll end up multiple phone keys in your car’s setting. To delete old phone key, the car key(card) to do so.

Thank you for the information. Is it easy to tell which is the new phone key and which is the old phone key?

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the information. Is it easy to tell which is the new phone key and which is the old phone key?
No, but it’s easy enough to delete them all and add the phone key back in a matter of 2 seconds.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. The active phone key is the one with the updated iPhone name. The older ones would be below that one.