1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Charge Times

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Jaspal, Feb 20, 2017.

More threads by Jaspal
  1. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
    Quick question about the charging times at home.

I assume that most of the M3 owners will commute daily and have questions about charge times. I'm a University student and driving is a big apart of my commute to the University. I already have a 220V Nema 14-50 40 amp outlet at home and I really don't know if it would suffice my needs. On average I drive roughly 80 miles a day. Knowing that, I won't run out empty because the expected range is well over 215 miles for the M3. Aside my situation, say it did run out juice every day and that it needed to be charge to full capacity, how long will it take to charge the vehicle?
    • Given that, you have a 14-50 220V 40 Amp outlet, how fast can a Tesla Charge to full capacity?
    • How about for a high power wall charger that does 80-100 amps?
    Sorry for the "noob-ness." I'm just another person that needs to be informed o_O.

Thanks,
    Jaspal Singh

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Tesla actually has a nice little tool to see how long it will take to charge given different EVSE setups at home.

https://www.tesla.com/charge-at-home

If you set the tool for a 40 amp charger, and adjust the slider to 80 miles, it estimates that it would take a bit under 3 hours to charge a Model S to go that distance.

For the full 300 miles, it would take ten and a half hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Turlock, California
      Country
      Thanks Garsh,

I still wonder though, do most of the Tesla Owners charge every night? According to the tool you showed me, it takes $12 to charge the car at 300 miles driven.

• Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Phoenix, AZ
      Country
      I know two people with Teslas and they charge every 3 days or so. However, Tesla does recommend plugging in every night.

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Southern California, Most of the time...
      Country
      #5 AEDennis, Feb 20, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
      We have two Teslas. We plug in when we need to. The Roadster performs best when we let it drain down to about 30-60 miles left and charge to 80% (known as a standard mode charge) every now and then (we try to do this at least quarterly.). On the S, plug to 80-90% most nights... rarely do we range charge (to 100%) and if we do, make sure to roll off soon after hitting maximum. I'll provide links to blog for why for each of this later.

[Added later]

Here's the article on balancing the Roadster battery pack. This is not something we have to do with the Model S... much. I believe some have done something similar, not us though. Also, here's the article on charging strategies for the Roadster.

As for Model S... Here's an article of the Model S study from Plug In America.

By the way, our charging to 90% most days has us at max charge ideal around 252 miles (down from 265 miles on pick up.) (we're at 70,000 miles)

Hope this information helps.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • arnis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Keila, Harjumaa
        Country
        I bet you are human and sleep at minimum 7 hours each night.
        With 220V and 40A you can charge Model 3 at around 30 miles each hour.
        But not only hours when you sleep. There is definitely at least an hour between you getting home and falling asleep.
        It is very unlikely people park their vehicles for shorter period than 9 hours each night.
        Multiply with 30 miles per hour and you get humongous amount of range with that NEMA 14-50 socket ;)
        Don't actually assume you will drive 200 miles each day. Most likely that will happen less than once per week.
        All those "short" moments you stay at home after work and between something else, you can easily gain range.
        But it is recommended to buy off-peak electricity to get better price. Usually at night.
        Check out what options you can choose before you get your EV.

• Agree Agree x 1