Charging adapters

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which charging adapters will you carry in your Model 3 for travel in the US and Canada?
None!

My daily commute is 75 miles round trip.

My car will start each day with a full charge and a range of ~270 miles.

Road trips are infrequent but will be planned around super charging.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do... I've used it a few times. The Fountain Valley Supercharger gets really busy and there is a free CHAdeMO available in the non-work hours about a mile away.
but would you say you purchased the CHAdeMO prior to the Supercharger being as mature as it is today? if you were starting today, would you consider it still? or wait for that the busy SC? personally, I don't think $450 is worth a slight convenience for me (and don't know of any free ones near me).

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A standard outlet NEMA 5-15 is included that works everywhere at 120v/12A
I would also definitely carry a NEMA 5-20, as many outlets now have 20A wiring and plugs (one horizontal prong) for 120v/16A charging.

I would also carry the most common 240V adapters:
NEMA14-50 (which is probably what I will have installed for charging at home)
NEMA 10-30P (this is the standard dryer plug)
TT-30P is the standard RV plug if you plan on camping or driving through those areas

Of course the J1772 is included and will be used all the time at most EV chargers. I don't plan on spending $450 on a Chademo adapter as it's still not common, but maybe that will change in a few years.

I'm thoroughly upset at the car industry for not standardizing charging connectors. Not surprised, of course.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but would you say you purchased the CHAdeMO prior to the Supercharger being as mature as it is today? if you were starting today, would you consider it still? or wait for that the busy SC? personally, I don't think $450 is worth a slight convenience for me (and don't know of any free ones near me).
Yes. Nothing ruins a good day than running out of fuel. And as you know, I'm pretty well acquainted with the supercharger network (today, and for the past four years. )

Having adapters is freedom and flexibility. When I commuted normally, I used NEMA 14-50 and J1772 more often than Tesla HPWC and superchargers. It was more convenient for me (I had a dedicated NEMA 14-50 outlet in my parking spot at the office.)

When I travel, Superchargers are the priority, but always ready for a backup plug.

chopr147

Country
Country
I do... I've used it a few times. The Fountain Valley Supercharger gets really busy and there is a free CHAdeMO available in the non-work hours about a mile away.
In NY here and I have used the adapters that come with the car. Never found a need for anything else. The supercharger network is great and rarely do I have to wait. I can understand a CHAdeMO in CA. where Superchargers can get busy. NY is at least 2 years away from Model 3's crowding SCer's.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm thoroughly upset at the car industry for not standardizing charging connectors. Not surprised, of course.
Actually J1772 IS the North American standard for Level 2 charging. And CCS is well on its way to be standard for DCFC (Level 3).

Tesla just allows access to a multitude of differing ways to charge a Tesla.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually J1772 IS the North American standard for Level 2 charging. And CCS is well on its way to be standard for DCFC (Level 3).

Tesla just allows access to a multitude of differing ways to charge a Tesla.

That's my point, chargers can have at least four different plugs.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's my point, chargers can have at least four different plugs.
If you want to look at different plugs, take a look at the range of outlets that a Roadster can use with Tesla manufactured adapters for the UMC.

https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-adapters

The Roadster was built before the J1772 standard and uses a proprietary format.

Tesla has carried forth a bit of this flexibility with the Model S/Model X even though a charging standard has been established.

This is Tesla's response. In general any EV in North America should just look at J1772 and CCS... It's Tesla's fault to provide its owners with maximum flexibility.

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
I am only considering a CCS (if it comes) as this is very common here in Europe. Some CCS Fastchargers do not offer Chademo here, so a CCS only would be great.
I guess the 240V and 400V adapters are included like in Model S/X here, so I will carry those just in case.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm considering the CHAdeMO adapter as a safety net for those places that might not have Superchargers but Elon said they were going to fill in the Canadian blank spots by the end of the year. If they do I might not need it at all

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
around me there are very few CHAdeMOs - a few at Nissan dealers available during service hours at the discretion of their staff and a couple pay ones - but very few and far between compared to J1772 or even Tesla destination chargers for that matter

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla hasn't built a CCS adapter... yet. Tesla is a member of the CCS standards setting body for the next version (350kW I believe about 3x current supercharging speeds and 7x current levels deployed)
I thought that the CCS standard precludes adapters.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought that the CCS standard precludes adapters.
Tesla marches to its own beat. And also why they've joined the standards setting body (to lobby and make sure their interests are represented.)

You've seen how huge the CCS plug is (either the NA or EU format). There's a reason it was nicknamed the Frankenplug.