1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Charging Basics for Newbies

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Dan Detweiler, May 18, 2016.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere or not but I thought that since there are so many people that have reserved a Model 3 and are brand new to electric vehicles, this would be useful. This is Bjorn Nyland. He is a Model S owner in Norway that has made tons of very informative videos regarding his Tesla experiences. He is taking delivery of a Model X very soon and has also reserved a Model 3. If you haven't done it yet, subscription to his YouTube page should be considered required watching for anyone interested in a Tesla vehicle. Great stuff.

This video explains the basics of EV charging and specifically how Tesla approaches it. Very informative to the people out there starting from scratch.

Dan

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Gman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      LA
      @Dan Detweiler, thanks. I was planning on asking current Tesla owners for some feedback on this subject. :)

• Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Canton, Georgia
      Country
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten he'd done a video on the subject.

Just keep in mind the voltages and plugs in North America are different from Europe and thus the adapters required are supplied with every Tesla (J1172 adapter and the Nema 14-50 come with the UMC).

CHAdeMO adapter costs extra if you want to use level 3 charging other than a Supercharger. I suspect Tesla will also do a combo CCS adapter in due time as well

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Southern California, Most of the time...
      Country
      North American (well, US and Canada anyway) EV drivers benefit from having fewer complexity with charging.

For the most part, you can make do with what is supplied with the vehicle (the J1772 adapter, the UMC with a NEMA 14-50 and "regular 110V plug"). To use a supercharger in the US and Canada, just pull up to a supercharger and plug in (assuming that your Tesla is enabled for the use).

A US and Canadian Tesla owner has the option to further complicate and provide further flexibility in charging by obtaining adapters for the UMC and by purchasing the CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla. At the start, like the Roadster before it, Tesla provided many adapters to allow the Model S to plug into many common 240V and 120V outlets available in North America. It has since pulled back on the availability of Tesla supplied adapters (many have been pulled, like the NEMA 6-50 (Welding) adapter) that is the "other" maximum amperage plug that Tesla has made for the UMC.)

There are also respected places to get other adapters that earlier EV drivers used to get around (check out EVSE Upgrade folks.) However, you have to really be planning on "going off the beaten path" for these adapters to make sense.

• jim stack

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      chandler
      ALSO watch for charging in HOT enclosed areas like your garage. As the car cools the battery it makes a lot of heat build up in a closed garage. That causes more cooling and slows the charging. It's best to charge in an open are so heat won't build up.
      In the winter the added heat could be good but is a real problem in the HEAT.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Rick59

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
        Country
        Trev, I cannot find anything on MTO websites that indicate the type of charging connectors. Can you confirm that the Ontario EV chargers use J1772 for Level 2 and CHAdeMO for Level 3. If yes, that means that we should all purchase a CHAdeMO connector when we buy our M3.

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Country
        I seem to recall the requirement for both CCS and CHAdeMO for the Ontario grant for DCFC charging. (As well as J1772).

• NOGA$4ME

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Raleigh, NC
        Is the J1772 adapater being mentioned a completely independent device (not part of the UMC?)

We currently own two (non-Tesla) EVs, one of which will likely disappear when the Model 3 appears, but the other one will remain. We are in the process of moving to a new home and will leave our current EVSE with the old house, so I would like to plan on the charging equipment I should go with for the new house. I would prefer to go with a standard J1772--I actually built a J1772 splitter that can charge both cars simultaneously (or sequentially) from the single EVSE--and just use the Tesla's J1772 adapter. I'm not at all concerned with any potential decrease in charging rate, as even 15A is sufficient to replenish my daily driving in about 2.5-3 hours, and we are moving much closer to work. However, I do think it would be inconvenient to drag the UMC out of the car every night, as I would prefer to keep that in the car for occasional charging at work or an unexpected need to charge on the road (although granted, that would be a much rarer circumstance that I'm accustomed to now).

...Lance

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Country
        The J1772 adapter for the Model S and Model X are included with purchase. It is a separate adapter and available for sale on the Tesla website as well (for extras). The Roadster was built before the standard and Tesla does sell an adapter, but I recommend the CAN JR from hcsharp. I am sure that the Model 3 will come with one J1772 adapter in the US and Canada, those are the standards for our countries.

I have been using a Chargepoint CT-500 (30A J1772) since 2012 and moved it to service my Model S since November 2013.

I started a thread here discussing my blog post giving a history of the chargers and future plans at home.

Keep your EVSE on the wall and just get an extra J1772, I carry one and keep one at home near my Chargepoint CT-500 for Tesla use. However, I now have a new HPWC, so that might not be as important.