Charging my Mobile phone with Tesla parameters to maximize battery life

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Brokedoc, Apr 24, 2018.

More threads by Brokedoc
  1. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    My cell phone battery died after a little more than 2 years. When I charge it to 100%, it dropped to 5% after only 1 hour. Meanwhile, Tesla batteries have similar Li-Ion chemistry but have been shown to only lose 10% capacity after 120,000 mi and are backed by an 8 year warranty from Tesla.

I have my new phone now and I will be following a more Tesla-like charging schedule. I have installed Accubattery for Android (similar apps exist for iOS) to alarm me when I reach 80% charge so I can unplug and I will avoid going under 20% charge. I will also avoid fast charging when possible because of the extra heat generated from the fast charger. I will avoid charging my phone overnight as the battery will stay at an unhealthy 100% charge state for hours. I'm likely going to see if there is software to manage my laptop batteries also.

See this other thread for my Tesla charging schedule: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tesla-charging-for-maximal-li-ion-battery-lifespan.4868/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I thought about trying something like this, but phones are somewhat disposable these days. The other issue is timing — if I could program my phone to stop at 85% like my car that would be great! With it being a chore I can’t do it :)

3. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I just make sure my phones don't sit at 100% for too long. I don't plug them in overnight. I plug it in while I'm sitting at a computer. Once it reaches 95-100%, I unplug it and don't (usually) charge it again until the next day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I've done this with my last two phones, and it has noticeably reduced battery degradation versus my prior phones.

The other point of comparison I have is that my wife (whose phone usage patterns are similar to mine) basically does the opposite with respect to charging: plugs in at night, plugs in at the office, and sometimes plugs in while driving. After about a year with a new phone, she finds that she can no longer get through a day on a single charge...so "always plugged-in" becomes more a necessity than a convenience.

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Yep. Basically, Lithium-Ion batteries "prefer" to be at 50% charge at all times. Leaving them sit at 0% or 100% charge for long periods of time is bad for battery health. They're ok to temporarily hit those high & low points, but try not to leave them sit there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I wish Android had a way to float the battery when plugged into a charger. I use mine for navigation a lot, and in that case your battery will be dead in 2 hours or you can leave it plugged in and it will be very hot and sitting at 100% all day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    • Like Like x 1