1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Charging Options for Apartments / Condos

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Tesla_Montreal, May 7, 2016.

More threads by Tesla_Montreal
  1. Tesla_Montreal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal
    #1 Tesla_Montreal, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    I'd like to know the best options for people who live in apartments or condos that do not have access or ability to install a home charger. Here are the 3 scenarios:

1) Unit with indoor garage

Have to ask owner if they are willing to install a wall outlet, must link charger to unit for billing. I understand there are tax benefits for some owners to install chargers but what if they refuse?

2) Unit without garage but have access to an outlet at ground level

- Quick 220 Systems
    - NEMA 14-30 Extension cord
    - NEMA 14050 (240V)

Here's a great video by a Tesla owner who rents. I'd be interested in knowing other ways...

3) Unit without garage and no close access to outlet

This seems the toughest situation, are destination and superchargers the only options? If so seems there's a large segment of the population that won't be able to get a Tesla. Is it still too early for mass adoption until charge times and battery range improve? many people rent or live in apartments, what are their options to charging?

2. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Depending on the size of the multi-family dwelling, some places around Southern California have "renter" shared J1772 charging in them.

If you look at Plugshare, they're often under Restricted use. That being said, this is basically a special purpose public charger, and it's up to building management to set up what the charging (both power and money) is, some offer it gratis, others, not so much.

That solution could work for folks too.

3. Tesla_Montreal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal

Thanks for your reply Dennis.

I can see things being complicated for people who don't own a home. This charging issue... once the masses adopt the Model 3, and everyone will have to share the Supercharger network, I'd imagine there would be a shortage of charging stations and I'm not hearing much discussions about this. People who leave their cars there longer than they should could also be problematic. Most renters might be using this option.

4. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    In dense #EV markets like California, we see this sort of challenge, especially with current generation EVs.

With Model S and newer Teslas, the range should provide apartment or non-private garage owners/lessors/drivers could get by with using local superchargers and visit every few days (depending on commute). I know of at least a few Model S owners who currently do just that. However, I live in Southern California with over 7 superchargers within 60 miles of my location and another 2 locations identified and at least under permit.

The other solution that is being pushed heavily (and adopted by many around here) is workplace charging. A lot of employers are doing just that. Additionally, US locations are able to have a tax credit of up to $30k to cover the cost of providing a commercial charging location. There is a smaller credit for private installation.

I believe that there is no Federal solution in Canada, and you have to check on a Province by Province solution... I believe the UK has a charger installation scheme, and it requires a set of authorized installers and equipment, I believe.

5. Tesla_Montreal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal
    Here in Montreal Canada, I was happy to come across a province wide initiative to electrify transport called the Circuit Electrique program. Basically a grid of charging stations throughout the province, mostly located in indoor garages but some outdoor at a reasonable cost. The regular curbside stations (240V) costs around $1-3/hr, and the fast chargers (400V) costs $10/hr. Not crazy about it but it's better than nothing. https://lecircuitelectrique.com/charging-stations-and-rates

That's another option.

6. JP White

Expand Collapse

Scrum Master
    City & State/Province:
    Hendersonville TN
    Quick 220 systems require you to connect to two outlets on separate circuits and those circuits be on separate phases.
    Access to "an outlet' won't cut it.
    A single outlet will restrict you to 120v

7. JP White

Expand Collapse

Scrum Master
    City & State/Province:
    Hendersonville TN
    I know a 2011 LEAF owner in Georgia who lives in an apartment complex. She was able to talk the apartment complex into installing a L6-20R receptacle (which she paid for). and then had her portable EVSE upgraded to 240v by EVSEUpgrade.

Being a simple outlet without a J1772 plug there is little chance an an unauthorized EV owner would know what it is or that it could be used.

L6-20R Receptacle
    EVSEUpgrade

8. WaitingForTesla

Expand Collapse

Button Pusher, Image Mover
    City & State/Province:
    New York, NY
    I'll be renting in LA starting next year and considering the popularity will try and find an attached garage unit and persuade the owner to add or let me add a NEMA 14-50 tied to my meter. Considering the increasing popularity in CA it's kind of a no brainer improvement even if I get stuck with the installation bill.