Chrome Lug Nuts or Chrome Cap Covers for 19" Sport Wheels?

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I picked my car up a couple days ago. I knew I wanted to take off the black plastic cover on the wheels and replace it with the OEM Tesla center caps. I decided to also purchase some Gorilla chrome lug nuts (online from Evannex), specifically for the Model 3, to match the wheels (cost was $65 for the lug nuts). I was told they could change out the lug nuts when I picked up the car but when I got there the service technician told me the only jack they had was broke. As a courtesy, he put on the chrome lug nut caps to complete the look (at no cost to me). So, in the pictures below you see the OEM Tesla center caps and the chrome lug covers (BTW, it's the same car just different lighting... one of the reasons I love the MSM so much!).

My question is, do you think I should just keep the chrome lug covers on there, that I was given for free, and save a little money, or should I go ahead with my Tesla Service Center appointment and have the actual chrome lug nuts I purchased put on the car? I'm just curious to hear what others think. I have another two weeks to return the lug nuts I bought from Evannex (BTW, I'll eat the cost of shipping them back plus a 10% restocking fee--so I'll most likely get a refund around $50, not the $65 I paid).

Would love to hear some thoughts! Thanks!

Tesla 3 (3).jpg

Tesla 3 (2).jpg

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks really nice! I too have the 19" set and was thinking about the lugs and center caps. Can you take a close up picture of one of the wheels?

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a close up...

Sport Wheel.jpg

Let me know about my original question everyone. I really appreciate all of your thoughts!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the chrome caps better mostly because they do not stick out as far as the Gorilla ones on Evannex.

I am also wondering why the tech did not put the lug nuts you provided. They do not need to jack up the car at all to change the lug nuts. Just take one off and put the new one back on!

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You’re making me really consider this!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nifty look! If I went this route, I might try the dark gray "T" center caps for some additional contrast.

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nifty look! If I went this route, I might try the dark gray "T" center caps for some additional contrast.
Yah, I haven’t tried the gray center cap (I did consider it though). I also had the thought of getting a charcoal gray Tesla “T” decal to stick in the middle of the center cap. That might just finish out the look. :)

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the chrome caps better mostly because they do not stick out as far as the Gorilla ones on Evannex.
Thanks Greenchester. I had the exact same thought. Think I’m going to save the fifty bucks and stick with the chrome lug covers! :)

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks Greenchester. I had the exact same thought. Think I’m going to save the fifty bucks and stick with the chrome lug covers! :)
You can always switch them out later for triple chromed gorilla nuts if the plastic caps peel or otherwise degrade. Their ‘Lifetime’ ones are the ones to get. Personally I don’t like plastic add on exterior accessories

# 61147

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lifetime-lug-nuts

Michael Blake

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Your wheels look GREAT! If I could ask, where do you get the chrome lug nut covers?

Thanks!

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like what you've got on there, no need to spend any more money til required if those don't hold up. Very nice look. It will be duplicated ! lol.

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks!

They actually provided me the chrome caps at the delivery center. They also have them at the Tesla service center.

Dhu1

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Your wheels look GREAT! If I could ask, where do you get the chrome lug nut covers?

Thanks!
You can get them on eBay as well. Make sure you get the 21mm ones...anything smaller won't fit.

I would stick with the lug nut caps....you really can't tell the diff and you can keep the $50. Just now need to get those windows tinted and new springs :)

Michael Blake

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Thanks much, All. Configured on 4/12; still waiting for VIN....:eek:

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can get them on eBay as well. Make sure you get the 21mm ones...anything smaller won't fit.

I would stick with the lug nut caps....you really can't tell the diff and you can keep the $50. Just now need to get those windows tinted and new springs :)
Definitely sticking with the chrome caps (already sent the lug nuts back to Evannex and got my refund).

Window tint happening tomorrow morning (30% Suntek Ceramic all around), along with front paint protection, and center console wrap in a matte finish. I'm holding off on the springs for now, but if I end up going for it, I'll certainly opt for the 0.7" "mild" drop offered by Unplugged Performance.

I also placed my order today for the wireless charging pad made by Jeda (https://getjeda.com). It looks pretty legit ($89 after coupon code) and charges two phones at once.

Things are coming along! And the best thing is, I'm actually having fun driving again! :D The Volt = no fun.

Dhu1

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Definitely sticking with the chrome caps (already sent the lug nuts back to Evannex and got my refund).

Window tint happening tomorrow morning (30% Suntek Ceramic all around), along with front paint protection, and center console wrap in a matte finish. I'm holding off on the springs for now, but if I end up going for it, I'll certainly opt for the 0.7" "mild" drop offered by Unplugged Performance.

I also placed my order today for the wireless charging pad made by Jeda (https://getjeda.com). It looks pretty legit ($89 after coupon code) and charges two phones at once.

Things are coming along! And the best thing is, I'm actually having fun driving again! :D The Volt = no fun.
our cars will be twins....

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks!

They actually provided me the chrome caps at the delivery center. They also have them at the Tesla service center.
Tried to get these caps at the service center in San Diego yesterday and they claimed they have never stocked them.
He told me they would look into if they can be special ordered, and get back to me.
If anyone has a source for these please let me know.

Dhu1

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
anybody on this thread still have their black center caps from their 19in rims that they don't need or would like to sell? I need to get a replacement one. To be clear, I need one of these

Attachments

Last edited:

batzman

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My SC wouldn’t sell me the chrome center caps. Anyone want to pick them up for me? I’ll pay shipping and a tad extra for your time.