Collision warning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Coming home tonight a car ahead of me stopped unexpectedly. My Model 3 beeped loudly at me and the car ahead on screen flashed red. I wasn't really spacing out and I would have stopped in time, but it was really nice to have the autodrive features looking out for me! I love my Model 3!

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this set on early, really like this feature - in NY people love to do hard stops out of nowhere...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
did the car apply the emergency braking? And was this on autopilot? Reason I'm asking is because I recently saw a video of a collision of a model 3 side swiping a car that popped out of no where on their dashcam footage. I was wondering how come the model 3 didnt stop in that vid.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
did the car apply the emergency braking? And was this on autopilot? Reason I'm asking is because I recently saw a video of a collision of a model 3 side swiping a car that popped out of no where on their dashcam footage. I was wondering how come the model 3 didnt stop in that vid.
If you’re accelerating the car will warn of collision but not brake which I greatly appreciate. Imagine you’re speeding up to switch lanes and cutting it a little close when suddenly the car slams on the brakes. You would have a a certain accident with the car you are attempting to pass.

PThiri

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this keeps happening to me on the same street everytime- but the cars are parked. It will beep loudly and the red car icon will appear, but there are no moving cars. Just parked. Been on similar sized streets and the same phenomenon does not occur. I tried calling Tesla support, but did not want to wait an hour. Any idea what glitch this might be? I am a new Tesla M3 owner since Sept. Thanks.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same experience with parked cars in my sub. We have a lot of curved streets and people that park in the street regardless of how narrow they are. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. When driving down a street that curves or when you are weaving down a street crowded with parked cars, it will appear to the sensors that you might be at risk of hitting a car and warn you. Startled me at first, now I appreciate it. Think of it as another significant other who is a nervous passenger...
I would rather have it there then not.

mash

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Coming home tonight a car ahead of me stopped unexpectedly. My Model 3 beeped loudly at me and the car ahead on screen flashed red. I wasn't really spacing out and I would have stopped in time, but it was really nice to have the autodrive features looking out for me! I love my Model 3!
Did the car apply the brake or did you have to? Also was it in autopilot mode? I had inconsistent experience (both times without autopilot)...one time it beeped and I applied brake and other time there was no warning from my M3 and I was lucky enough to slam the brakes. I read the manual and online about collison warning...but couldn't find anything that explained how M3 collision avoidance system actually works.

PThiri

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same experience with parked cars in my sub. We have a lot of curved streets and people that park in the street regardless of how narrow they are. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. When driving down a street that curves or when you are weaving down a street crowded with parked cars, it will appear to the sensors that you might be at risk of hitting a car and warn you. Startled me at first, now I appreciate it. Think of it as another significant other who is a nervous passenger...
I would rather have it there then not.
Thank you. I am going to call customer support anyway- someone swerved in front of me on the fway and there was no collision warning! So while I love the feature, I want it to work when there is a real threat! Will post what I learn!

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would say: don't believe what you see on Youtube. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the driver was not paying a lot of attention, the road was slick and then he seemed to aim directly at the passenger door of the other car. Also don't know what his speed was. The Model 3 safety features aren't perfect and often can't make up for bad driving on the owner's part or on the part of the other nuts on the road.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you. I am going to call customer support anyway- someone swerved in front of me on the fway and there was no collision warning! So while I love the feature, I want it to work when there is a real threat! Will post what I learn!
I think the system is smart enough to recognize the difference between someone cutting into your lane and a forward car hard braking.
see my post in the false collision warning thread as an example.