Color regrets?

Discussion in 'Design' started by Tdh, Feb 20, 2018.

More threads by Tdh
  1. Tdh

Tdh
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    3/31 in store reservation holder here. Since I’m hoping configurator will be available soon, color is still the biggest wildcard as each day my preference changes. Big question for Model 3 owners, after living with your car does anyone wish they would have gone with a different color than they got? (Why or why not)

I suspect not many will actually regret their color decision, but just trying to get a sense if everyone feels like they chose correctly?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have no regrets on color. My #1 choice was Midnight Silver all along and that includes those scary few days/weeks where alpha cars showed up in every color but Midnight Silver.

I had bad thoughts and almost cheated on Midnight Silver and went with white, but I came back just in time for configuration.

I have now seen everything exterior color in person and I have to say the good news is that the car looks great in literally every color, so this seemingly hard task is made easier in knowing that you literally can’t go wrong here.

Some food for thought on the colors:
    • Black - my first 3 cars were black. I always had an affinity for them. Unfortunately they are an absolute nightmare to keep clean and swirl free.
    • Red - gorgeous in person, but I was worried if there was one color I may get sick of over time it would be red.
    • Silver - beautiful. Nothing for or against it really.
    • Blue - outside of cars blue is my favorite color. I actually had never seen a blue 3 until I took delivery of my car. It didn’t disappoint. I really liked it!
    • White - well as I said, I almost went with white. It’s gorgeous on this car! I skipped for 2 reasons. (1) lots of buggy highway driving in my area and the front is a magnet for bugs with white being a perfect canvas for displaying them and (2) seemingly unfounded given how good my car arrived was concerns over white showing panel gaps that weren’t right
    • Midnight Silver - my favorite Tesla color. It had great depth. Looks great in the sun and equally great at night. It’s also the best color (in my opinion) and keeping clean during the week until the next wash.
    So regrets - my only regret on “color” would be if white interior arrives soon. That said, I love the black interior and I’m not looking back!

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dash

Expand Collapse

Country
    Thats very helpful, and at the same time, it isn't.
    The color is the hardest choice for me, too. Maybe I just buy 6 cars ... and the whole street to park and display them...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I'm not all that picky about color. Considering everybody else's comments, that seems to put me in the minority here. :)

For the 3, I'm choosing between red and blue. My last four cars have been Coliseum Gray, Super Black, Silver Pearl Metallic, and Bright Platinum Metallic (gray, black, silver, silver). I liked them all, but I'm ready to add a little color to my next car.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tdh

Tdh
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thanks for the feedback. Although I would take any color if the invite to configure showed up today, I've been able to at least narrow it down slightly. My wife doesn't want red or blue, which helps because I don't know if I'm actually a red car person.

I heavily sway between silver and midnight silver--both colors are just historically classic-looking imo. The problem is I want to go with silver as it'll be replacing our current silver care, but like you said, "nothing for or against it." While classic and understated, silver just doesn't seem to illicit the first impression the midnight silver does.

Any silver owners out there that can sway me?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Archaebald

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    IMHO, silver (on cars) has always appeared to me as - "beige" ("vanilla" might be a more appropriate English circumlocution). That said, I think the M3 midnight silver looks awesome.... Sorry for not being more helpful...

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #7 Ken Voss, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    While color is subjective, here are a few facts:
    - Silver is the 2nd most popular car color (All Cars)
    - Silver shows the least dirt
    - Silver has the best resale value
    - Silver is fairly easy to color match in case of a chip

So if you are going with logic (rather than emotion) Silver is a good choice. Personally I feel silver is boring and I am ready to add a little color in my life, also I have owned several silver cars over the years and want something new so for me its either red or blue, havent decided yet.

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. chojn1

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I haven't been invited yet, so cannot directly answer your question. But, here is some extra data points to consider from the Model3invites spreadsheet.

export.jpg

I like silver. The fact that it is less popular makes it even more attractive to me.
    So, don't get silver! ;)
    Hope that helps.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LucyferSam

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I love the blue and haven't regretted choosing it for a second, only color that would have been likely to sway from blue would have been a good green. I do also really like the look of the midnight silver and it's fairly similar to the color of my previous Camry, which while I like I found it tended to blend into the road more than I liked (leading to a far to high prevalence of people turning out in front of me). Silver is a good balance of looks, being easy to see in any environment, and looking clean even when dirty - unfortunately it does just feel kind of bland to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. iluvmacs

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Strange considering that it seems to be the least popular color on the 3 (and probably of the S/X current options too)... ;)

In other news: I LOVE my red 3!!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #11 Maevra, Feb 20, 2018
    No regrets with silver. Still love red, but we already have another red car. I do love how silver shows off the lines of the 3 in any light.

+1 to @Ken Voss's comment about silver being easy to paint. I had a very bad gouge caused by road debris that went across two panels, and the folks at service said I was lucky they could spot blend the silver easily and not have to repaint both panels, which saved on repair costs.

According to them, base black is easiest to repair (figures), followed by silver, then the pearl metallic and multicoat red is hardest because it's tricky to get the right color near the edges.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Model 3 color choice has been driving me nuts! o_O I do love white but 2 of 3 past cars are white the other being silver. I was set on the blue for a while, but now I think it might be too dark and harder to maintain, kinda like black.

The Silver Metallic has caught my eye most recently as I think it really highlight the 3's shape and accents well. Love the metal like look and with the darker wheels/aeros its great!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andy M

Expand Collapse

Country
    A picture is worth a 100 words . . .
    Silver Model 3 1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 6
  14. Runt8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    I'm trying to decide between blue and midnight silver. If the white interior is available before I order then I'll definitely get blue, otherwise I'm leaning towards midnight silver.

15. MasterGlandNY

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm interested in blue and midnight silver. How has the blue been as far as appearing clean? Thanks!

16. Tdh

Tdh
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Aaand, swinging back to silver.

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. $ Trillion Musk

Proud Dad
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #17 $ Trillion Musk, Feb 20, 2018
    No regrets from anyone so far, so that’s a very good sign.

The colors that I would least regret are midnight silver, pearl white, and blue. Midnight silver looks stunning in the showroom revealing a slight bluish hue, but looks a bit dull under typical Jersey skies. Pearl white is classy but the depth is lost without enough sunlight and not as impressive without the contrast offered by the S/X front grill. Blue IMO looks good in any lighting situation - gives extra character, actually - and beats most other shades of blue out there. I’m instantly attracted to blue S/Xs whenever they drive by. I think it’s the color that I wouldn’t regret having.

Edit: Just realized that the graph in post #8 closely reflects my ranking in color choices!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. GTV6

Expand Collapse

Country
    My first and only model 3 sighting was a 15 minute walk around 10 dusty unprepared cars at a SC at rest and each in motion. I agree that it’s hard to go wrong. I would take the car in any color. However I still think the blue, although spectacular, does not age well based on watching Fords and Hyundai’s over the years. I think the midnight silver works best in bright climates like Fl/Ca. I’ve assumed white but after seeing the cars red is magnificent. Really I might take anything. BTW I have had planned on the Aeros with cap on for practicality and the finish/color works better than expected. My early obsession with wrapping them, along with others on the Forum, will probably amount to nothing once I have my car. This long wait sure brings out the neuroses.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mig

mig
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    No regrets with silver here! I really like the contrast between the light silver and the glass roof and aero wheels. I almost went with white for the same reason, and I've never considered a white car before. I also didn't want a "common" color since there will soon be thousands of model 3s driving around.

I know they say silver is the most common choice of car color, but observationally around here, white is the most common color.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. c2c

c2c
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This weekend I saw 2 model 3's in motion. One was my beloved red and the other was black. Both were dirty, like they hadn't Benn washed and maybe had driven on a slushy road. Both looked like hell. Since I let Mother Nature do most of my exterior car care (rain), I need to do everyone a favor and get a low maintenance color.
    White.

• Agree Agree x 1