Community Question

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by ChargePoint, Jun 7, 2018.

More threads by ChargePoint
  1. ChargePoint

Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 ChargePoint, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    How did you choose your home charger (including the Wall Connector, Mobile Connector), if you have one?

2. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I ordered a second Tesla Mobile Connector to leave plugged in to my 14-50. Not only does it have the small Tesla plug and easy to use button, but nothing else can compete with its price. (Not to mention the nifty TESLA animated lights!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    For me it was an easy call -- the Model 3 comes with a UMC and I don't see any need to take it with me anywhere so I went with a Nema 14-50 and use my UMC at home.

For travel I use Superchargers and ChargePoint J1772 locations and that works great!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    We are going to roll with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and the provided UMC for a few reasons:
    • Convenience. Every Tesla comes with a UMC with a NEMA 14-50 adapter, so no need to purchase an additional EVSE
    • Flexibility. In the marginally-likely (but still possible) event that we purchase a second, non-Tesla EV that accepts a J1772 connector, we can simply unplug the UMC and replace it with a Level 2 EVSE that has a NEMA 14-50 plug on one end and a J1772 adapter on the other.
      • Side-note: most likely scenario for a second electrified vehicle in our household is a plugin-hybrid, which we'll just charge at 120V with the included Level 1 EVSE. So, realistically, the UMC is probably the only Level 2 EVSE we'll need for the foreseeable future.
    • Versatility. You can plug other things into a NEMA 14-50 as well. In the [admittedly unlikely] event that my parents decide to do the whole cross-the-country-in-an-RV thing, they can pull into my driveway and plug in... for some reason. Also, in the event that we move into a new house, we can just unplug the UMC and leave the NEMA 14-50 for the next owner, who might have more uses for it than a hard-wired EVSE.
    I also considered:
    • Tesla Wall Connector
      • Why?
        • It's outdoor-rated, and I don't have a garage (though my NEMA 14-50 will be sheltered under a deck in a weatherproof enclosure).
        • Can deliver 8 more amps than the UMC.
        • Looks great.
        • Lets me keep the UMC in the car, out of the elements, as a backup.
      • Why Not?
        • Additional purchase (and installation?) expense.
        • Hard-wired install and proprietary Tesla connector limits future flexibility.
        • Not (yet?) Wi-Fi enabled, which is something I'd expect out of a modern EVSE (though to be fair, a Wi-Fi enabled Tesla is just as good)
    • ChargePoint Home
      • Why?
        • Attractive, compact design with built-in holster
        • Wi-Fi enabled with App and Alexa/Nest integration
        • J1772 connector provides flexibility for non-Tesla EVs
        • Pluggable model available (albeit with a NEMA 6-50)
      • Why Not?
        • Additional purchase.
        • If we only have a Tesla EV, we'd either have to constantly plug in / remove the J1772 adapter, or buy a second one to leave plugged in all the time. I'd rather not incur the additional wear/tear/expense without
        • Maxes out at 32 amps, same as the UMC.
        • No built-in button to open/close (and theoretically unlock) the car's charge port door.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. John

Tech Founder
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I use the Mobile charger that came with the car. I do not carry it with me, it stays in my garage plugged into a 14-50. My garage door gently closes on the cord (soft gasket at the bottom of the door), and I have a place to hang up the connector outside.

I considered installing the Tesla HPWC, but it's a little overkill for my situation, since the mobile charger usually just takes a couple of hours to bring my car to 90% each night, and 10 hours in the worst case (empty to full).

I carry the J1772 adapter in my trunk for use in non-Tesla chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gunn

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My thoughts are similar to @Bokonon in that a NEMA 14-50 allows for charging of all EV and plug in vehicles (currently available). They all have a cable/adaptor and thus depending what vehicle the family goes with next, we can charge whatever.

Yes, it would be nice to have a dedicated wall adaptor for each car but that's an expense we can live without for now (money goes into the cars first right!) And the fact it'll cost upwards of $2,200 just to put the NEMA 14-50 into my garage in the first place ($5,500 if we need the panel replaced)

We may get a 2nd UMC if I keep forgetting to put the one we get into the car and a few adaptors to use J1772 etc.. when traveling but that should be about it.

7. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Do you anticipate unplugging and taking the UMC with you very often?

The only two cases that I can think of which would cause me to take the UMC with me on a trip are:

(1) My destination has an available outlet that is compatible with the UMC. (Example: staying at a relative's house.)
    (2) My travel plans take me far enough away from the Supercharger network and public Level 2 charging stations that I may need to top up at an RV park (or similar location with a high-powered outlet).

Outside of those two cases, I plan to leave the UMC plugged in at home, and use Superchargers / public Level 2 stations while on the road. The J1772 adapter will always be with me in the car if it's needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gunn

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Sorry, should have said "while traveling" but you are right, the SC network should be plentiful :)

• Like Like x 1