Crazy questions/comments about your Model 3

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So everyone wants to look at my car because it is so foreign to most people who don't even know what a Tesla is. I have noticed some strange comments/questions I have been getting and thought it would be a fun thing to post some of the comments in a thread.

So here are some of mine:

1. [Pointing at the 15 inch screen] Did you put this in here?
2. Where are the door handles?
3. Look it's like a beetle! [looking at the frunk]
4. How does it go anywhere? [after seeing the frunk and trunk and realizing there is no obvious propulsion system]
5. Is this the car that killed people?

Audrey

SR3NTY
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everyone here knows about Teslas, with very few exceptions. The most common question is "how much did in cost?" People ask a bit less directly and more politely than that, but it is what they ask most. My response is to breakdown the price and explain the options I chose (or was required to take as an early adopter) and always point out that I've waited years. The second most asked question is "how far can you go in it?" As far as I want! :sunglasses: I do use the inquiry as a means for explaining the variability of range in an AEV and the ever-growing network of Superchargers.

People are wowed by the simple interior, center touchscreen, and lack of driver positioned gauges. I am not a highly social person, but I do love showing people my model 3.

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Everyone here knows about Teslas, with very few exceptions. The most common question is "how much did in cost?" People ask a bit less directly and more politely than that, but is what they ask most. My response is to breakdown the price and explain the options I chose (or was required to take as an early adopter) and always point out that I've waited years. The second most asked question is "how far can you go in it?" As far as I want! :sunglasses: I do use the inquiry as a means for explaining the variability of range in an AEV and the ever-growing network of Superchargers.

People are wowed by the simple interior, center touchscreen, and lack of driver positioned gauges. I am not a highly social person, but I do love showing people my model 3.
I have been asked that several times. When I am asked I explain that there is currently an EV tax credit I will receive and I am no longer paying for gas. Then that opens their eyes. I also explain that if you take the gas into account and paying off this car in the same time frame as my wife's 2014 Honda Odyssey Elite with the same rough down payment this car costs less. They are shocked by that. Especially since the car seems way more exotic in person than a Honda (mind you the most expensive Honda they sell).

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been asked about what type of gas my car takes.

Most seem to refer to it as “the iPad on wheels”.

I like to think of it as my unicorn as it remains fairly rare still on the road by me though I’m starting to see more.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok next I showed it to some engineers and got questions like "where did they put the radar?" so if someone knows the answer I might need that before they rip the bumper off my car to figure it out.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok next I showed it to some engineers and got questions like "where did they put the radar?" so if someone knows the answer I might need that before they rip the bumper off my car to figure it out.
It's located on the front bumper on the passenger side.

The manual has a lot of good illustrations of where most parts are so- it's the only manual I think I've read cover-to-cover in YEARS! :)

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It's located on the front bumper on the passenger side. The manual has a lot of good illustrations of where most parts are. :)
Hey stop it! I haven't read the manual yet. This is new for me I love driving the car so much I haven't had any spare time to read it. Maybe tonight I'll light some candles and dim the lights and have some intimate moments with the manual.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hey stop it! I haven't read the manual yet. This is new for me I love driving the car so much I haven't had any spare time to read it. Maybe tonight I'll light some candles and dim the lights and have some intimate moments with the manual.
Sorry didn't mean it the way it sounded! I edited it after I reread it. I just said it as I know most of us (myself included) don't read manuals but the Tesla one is really fascinating so it's definitely worth a browse. :)

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sorry didn't mean it the way it sounded! I edited it after I reread it. I just said it as I know most of us (myself included) don't read manuals but the Tesla one is really fascinating so it's definitely worth a browse. :)
I was just being silly. I wasn't offended :) I tend to read manuals because I am nerdy and my wife complains about it. She says things like "Why are you reading the manual for the coffee pot? It only has two buttons on it?"

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Some gems we've had:

1. What do you mean I can't watch videos while the car drives? It's self driving isn't it?
2. I heard you have to replace Tesla batteries after every couple of years and it costs 20k. (From a new Bolt owner who got this gem of misinformation from the dealer.:confused:)
3. Mom! The doors don't open for me! I don't like it! (Kid's family has a Model X... so figures. :p)
4. All electric? So you put gas and it turns to electricity?
5. There's SO MUCH SPACE back here! (backseat area)
6. It looks like a spaceship!
7. Why is there an iPad on your dash?
8. Auntie, can I play with your car's iPad?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Oh this conversation brought back memories of an old VW commercial. This is basically my wife and I completely to a 'T'.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here in Colorado most people seem to know what it is so my questions haven't been too odd.
1. "They should have a reserve battery so that when the main battery goes dead on a long drive, you can charge it from the reserve." Which isn't totally stupid - but they were flummoxed when I said "or just have a large battery that includes the reserve and make sure not to run out."
2. "It runs on electricity but I haven't seen very many EV charging stations so you'd have no place to charge it. "
Right... because electrical outlets are so hard to find. Everywhere.
3. "what's the point of the big glass roof if you can't open it?"
4. "what are you going to do when Tesla goes bankrupt?" I've gotten this several times.
5. "it's a neat car but I want one that I can take on road trips" and then when I explain the supercharger network they still look dubious. And then when I show a map of superchargers, they still look dubious and then pick some spot in North Dakota that they couldn't get to and say "yeah, but what if I wanted to drive there". And I'm like "do you really want to go to middle of nowhere North Dakota?" and they said "no, but I'd want the option of being able to".
6. "I heard that if everyone had an electric car, the grid wouldn't be able to handle it and we'd run out of electricity" and then they are totally surprised when I say that it uses amount the same amount of electricity as our electric oven or electric house air conditioning unit and that you can schedule it to charge whenever.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was just being silly. I wasn't offended :) I tend to read manuals because I am nerdy and my wife complains about it. She says things like "Why are you reading the manual for the coffee pot? It only has two buttons on it?"
I am also the type to read manuals like they are something special/enjoyable. I would also try to correct some of the steps in the manuals as I would think they got them wrong. I started reading the Model 3 manual about 3 weeks ago but have forgotten some of the info and with the recent firmware update, some of the features mentioned in the manual is gone. For example, "Walk up unlock" is no longer available. "Walk away lock" is still there.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The two most common questions I've heard aren't odd, they're:

• How far does it go on a charge?
  • How long does it take to charge?
Those are perfectly valid questions...

One thing I have noticed is all the questions come before you give them a ride.

After a ride they are speechless and just talk about how amazing it is and are grinning from ear to ear.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I am also the type to read manuals like they are something special/enjoyable. I would also try to correct some of the steps in the manuals as I would think they got them wrong. I started reading the Model 3 manual about 3 weeks ago but have forgotten some of the info and with the recent firmware update, some of the features mentioned in the manual is gone. For example, "Walk up unlock" is no longer available. "Walk away lock" is still there.
I haven't read it yet... I'll try to read it tonight hopefully. I do tend to find mistakes as well but mostly I am looking for things like poor translation mistakes that make me laugh.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
some of the features mentioned in the manual is gone. For example, "Walk up unlock" is no longer available. "Walk away lock" is still there.
But isn't that accurate? They did take away the "walk up unlock" feature, but the "walk away lock" option can still be toggled, so that should be mentioned it in the manual.