Dashcam Install Help

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th and still qualify for the $7500 US federal tax credit until December 31 for orders placed before November 30 as all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

K-MTG

Country
Country
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

IMG_3250.jpeg

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes

IMG_3247.jpeg

Any tips on alternative power sources that stay on 24/7? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like a Blackvue. The problem will be with Power Magic Pro. 3 wires. Ground, 1 wire to a powered source with the car off, 1 wire with an unpowered source with the car off. Acts as a switch and puts the camera into parking mode. Parking mode is adjustable for time. They couldn’t find a conventional fuse box? That’s the easiest way to find the hot and cold.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

View attachment 4746

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes

View attachment 4747

Any tips on alternative power sources that stay on 24/7? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.
I'm curious about this too but for a radar detector. Does the power source stay on while driving and just shutoff 3min after? That would work for radar.

Too bad about not having the OBD port, that's how I have it currently setup and it's great as it only goes on above 40mph. No beeping on city streets.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
From the info we've seen on the car, the 3 doesn't have conventional fuses like Model S/X, neither does it have the ODBII port because Tesla did a lot of redesigning for the internals of the car to simplify things.

I'm curious to find a good solution for the dashcam as well so thanks for this very helpful info K-MTG!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What we have to determine is what is a reliable fuse to tap, which are switched on with "ignition" or other ideal times. Then you can use an add-a-fuse to properly add an extra circuit for all your accessories. I typically do this day one with all my cars and have wires hidden away nicely inside the dash. (we also need to figure out how to remove dash panels too...)

K-MTG

Country
Country
or were they not able to tap into a constant wire above the rear view mirror?
They said the housing wiring was completed different (on the windshield) compared to the S/X. Even though it looks the same...they couldn't find a always on constant.

I'm curious about this too but for a radar detector. Does the power source stay on while driving and just shutoff 3min after? That would work for radar.

Too bad about not having the OBD port, that's how I have it currently setup and it's great as it only goes on above 40mph. No beeping on city streets.
Yes, it should work for radar without an issue.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Created a video showcasing the dashcam install and the source of constant power.

@K-MTG,

Super Clean and Professional Install. Very well done. May I inquire as to approximate install cost? (Not including cameras-have two of those already). Again....super Clean....looks Amazing!

Ski

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@K-MTG,

I’d also be curious as to the vampire drain BOTH plugged in and ‘specifically’ NOT plugged in over a 24 hour period running off the 12 volt like that with your dual cam in parking mode.

Ski

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Created a video showcasing the dashcam install and the source of constant power.
Awesome! Thanks for posting that.

The view out the back with the low camera placement looks pretty good to me. I'll do the same.

But that front camera placement looks too low to me. It's a shame that the rear-view mirror/autopilot camera housing is so large. Because of that, I think I'll end up offsetting my front camera to the right side of the mirror, and keep it at the top of the windshield.

Great info about the lack of a constant 12v wire in the cabin, and how best to route directly to the battery. I will be doing that.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are there any disadvantages using the Power Magic Battery Pack vs tapping into the 12v battery in the frunk?
Tapping directly to the battery means that if you park at the airport, and someone hits your car on day 3, it will be recorded and saved.

The downside is that - for a regular car - you risk draining your 12v battery while it's parked for 2 weeks. That's not an issue with an electric car, as it will top off the 12v periodically from the main battery.

I don't see any benefit to using a Power Magic Battery Pack for an electric car.

bluesolarflare

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Tapping directly to the battery means that if you park at the airport, and someone hits your car on day 3, it will be recorded and saved.

The downside is that - for a regular car - you risk draining your 12v battery while it's parked for 2 weeks. That's not an issue with an electric car, as it will top off the 12v periodically from the main battery.

I don't see any benefit to using a Power Magic Battery Pack for an electric car.
Thanks. It looks like even though they quote 12 hours on the battery it appears to be only 8, so definitely will tap into the 12v battery. Just a question of how much the mobile install was as I am in Southern California and they did a pretty awesome job judging by the video.