Dashcam Install Warnings

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by mtdoak, Apr 4, 2018.

1. mtdoak

Expand Collapse

Country
    I'm starting a new thread because I haven't seen this talked about elsewhere, and with the flood of Tesla's coming out of freemont, I'm sure there are a few people like myself who have a Blackvue 750-2CH dashcam sitting in the box, going to get installed into their model 3.

You probably remember @K-MTG's Dashcam Install Thread. The "solution" that was done there was to directly run the Dashcam power from the 12V battery with via an inline fuse.

If you recall, the Model S/X famously had 12V battery issues. Now, people can correct me if I am wrong here, it appears that directly wiring a dashcam to the 12V battery will cause similar issues:

See: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/dashcam-install-help.104575/page-9
    upload_2018-4-4_9-50-55.png

So, essentially, adding an extra tap straight off the battery causes extra drain which the tesla charging system can't easily account for and causes issues with the 12V battery.

I see, really, one "safe" solution here.

If you don't need parking mode, simply wire any dashcam straight off the 12V cigarette lighter. It'll run while the car runs and power down when the car is off.

If you need parking mode, get an inline battery off of the cigarette lighter. BlackVue Sells their power magic battery ($160) which powers the camera for 12 hours. I'm looking for "cheaper" solutions right now, however, I am not finding them ATM.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think I saw @K-MTG post he would be adding the blackvue battery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So it's 100% certain the 12v in the center console shuts off when I exit the car?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    You could get the Power Magic Pro instead ($23). It can be programmed to shut down the camera after X hours of the car being shut off. Additionally, it monitors battery voltage, and shuts down the camera when the voltage gets too low.

So this gives you some amount of "parking mode", while protecting your battery from getting too low, and at a much cheaper price point. I installed this in my Tucson.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1202591&is=REG

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. TheGreenClovers

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I don't understand how the Model 3 has so many cameras and a large touchscreen and can't incorporate this into the car? Anyone?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I was hoping it would be able to use those for a dash cam system like ELON tweeted that it would. But the more I think about it, there will be issues of privacy transmitting that data to their servers plus the bandwidth. I doubt that the car has a big enough storage for the data. Plus if it needs to be accessed after a crash, if it internally stored it would be hard to access if the system had no power or is destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    can you name another car that has a stock dashcam available to the driver/owner?

privacy/surveillance laws vary widely from one location to the next (if it is state to state, country to country, sometimes city to city...). It would be a ridiculous amount of logistics for an automaker to be able to provide something that provides the best use case based on the specific place the car is at that time.
    Yeah, yeah, Elon tweeted it's coming.... in the meantime, I'd not be counting on it.

9. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    But if we could just plug in a usb stick to the car and have it recorded on that, that would be cool

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Great to know, thanks. This is how I installed the dash cams in my other cars, and I'm glad the outlet works the same way in the 3. No need to overcomplicate, just plug in, tuck and hide. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Corvette. IIRC it records and can also overlay vehicle stats like gear/rpm/speed for track use too.
    Privacy laws mute audio unless you explicitly enable it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Audrey

SR3NTY
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Best to use a separate battery source. I too am annoyed we cannot merely access the built in front and rear camera footage, but oh well.

13. mtdoak

Expand Collapse

Country
    A bit of further warning here. I asked on reddit's dashcam subreddit about using a USB Power Bank in line to power the dashcam.

Evidently having a cheap USB Power Bank sitting inside of your car all day is an awful awful idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have extensive experience hardwiring numerous 12v accessories to every car I’ve owned. I’m known for having my dashboard out in the yard within days of buying a new car.

Usually I add a fuse tap to the interior fuse box and wire and fuse everything nicely and hidden in the dash. But it sounds like Model 3 doesn’t have a fuse panel. That still leaves other options.

Finding a reliable 12v wire to tap that can support some extra current might be the next choice, but I don’t think one has been identified yet. I hope to do that soon once my car arrives.

However I will say that lately I just take the easier route and run things to the lighter plug. This is the best route for anyone without experience and you will have nothing to be concerned with. You can get a 12v splitter, and it’s even easier as more devices become USB powered. Just get a double or triple output charger. You can still hide the USB wires inside panels and molding and get an install as clean as something more hardwired.

I would never recommend wiring directly to the battery unless it is super high draw like a dozen subwoofers like we used to do in the old days. The top post doesn’t really prove anything aside from someone didn’t have the common sense to remove their wiring mod before bringing the car to the dealership for a loosely related issue. Of course they will put blame on it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. K-MTG

Expand Collapse

Country
    I am running on the Blackvue battery right now...will have the mobile installers tidy up the wiring. I will also add an on/off button so I don't drain the battery when my car is at home (in the garage).

16. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    so the wire goes from the 12 volt outlet to the battery pack then to the camera? where do you put the on.off switch (and where do you get it?) and chance of getting a video to show how to do it for those of us with blonde hair who still want to do it? :-D

17. K-MTG

Expand Collapse

Country
    That's correct! I am using this battery: https://amzn.to/2Hc7DPg

I got this on/off switch: https://amzn.to/2JmUXWf still have to wire it. It will go between the battery and the dashcam.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Abezz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have had a thinkware 800 2ch setup hard wired to my m3 12v battery and to the cigarette lighter for parking mode operation. It's been OK for over 4 weeks and no errors have popped up yet (fingers crossed) . AFAIK the thinkwares draw less current in parking mode than the blackvues ...

19. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    My Model S has had a dashcam running on it 24x7 for 3 years (Since Jan 2015). I never had a battery issue or excessive drain. I opted for the ODB II port for power so maybe there's more rules/better support around that? Its unintrusive when installed that way.

I've used the same 2 sim cards for it too. I only rotate them when I want to offload something interesting.

20. K-MTG

Expand Collapse

Country
    Model 3 doesn't have one.