1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Father's day is coming! Get something special for dad. Use coupon code "fathersday" for 10% off anything in our shop

Dismiss Notice
  2. A meet-up for Model 3 Reservation Holders in Fremont?!

Please visit the link below and help us make it happen.
    Model 3 Reservation Holders Fremont Meet-up Thread
  3. @TrevP will be attending the VIP Tesla event June 2 and get a private viewing of the Model 3. If you'd like to make a small donation to cover the flight and accommodations cost you can do it here via PayPal:
    Donate Now!
    Thanks for your support!
    Dismiss Notice

Data Useage in the Model 3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LUXMAN, Jun 19, 2016.

More threads by LUXMAN
  1. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    We have all been talking about cost of features, autopilot and SC. But one thing it was curious about is data. The model S has a 3G or LTE connection for use by the infotainment system plus the auto updates. It is included and you can use it to surf the web. I understand videos can't be streamed (an owner told me that). It is not something you pay for as I understand. My LEAF has a very limited similar system that is included for a period of time, then you have to pay.
    Som with the lower price point, will it be another data plan we have to pay for after a set period of time?
    Of course if you let it lapse, then no updates

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I think Tesla quotes the data will be covered for the first 7 years... But IDK if after those 7 years if they can expect the owner to pick up the data plan, but the car will need data available to function properly. There is too much tied into it. Not just the updates (which could happen by wifi for most) but also the superchargers, navigation, etc.

3. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    Ok. Well I assume the car will function just fine without data. Cuz if it didn't, you couldn't drive in some areas. I forgot about the Wifi for updates. Guess the service center can do them too, but that could get hard with increasing numbers of vehicles.

4. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Actually, I think Elon said (via Twitter) 4 years for this service. However, I don't think any of the few 2012s have hit the 4 year mark yet to see whether there will be a bill change to AT&T.

As for wi-fi, Tesla also said that if you turn on wi-fi when at home, you would be prioritized for OTA updates, etc. I have been on wifi, but don't feel like I've necessarily been prioritized over others.

Data is definitely useful for GPS etc. However the car works well tethered to a smart phone or mifi, both of which I've done with the Model S.

The Tesla telematics is better than Nissan's CarWings (at least my experience with Leaf was with a 2013 SV that I had my Senior Citizen mom use...). One of the things that Nissan was superior to Tesla with regard to telematics was the "preferred charger location" app on Nissan. I had it set up for my Senior Citizen mom to email and text when she got home and forgot to plug in. It helped train her to plug in Leaf when she was home. Something that the Tesla doesn't do.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Topher

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      It may well depend on the state of auto-pilot when the plans start running out. Tesla needs the data that the cars are providing to improve the auto-pilot system. Sending that data back on customer's phone minutes might prove to be a PR nightmare.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Southern California, Most of the time...
        Country
        Makes sense... Unless Tesla doesn't value the data from non-AP cars as much as AP cars. Then those of us that are reaching this 4 year schedule will be abandoned soon.

No indications. Like many things Tesla, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. But, have contingencies in place if I don't.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        Currently listening to the "the tesla show" podcast and data was being discussed. They mention after the 4 year data coverage, tesla would continue to cover data at 3G level, with it up to the owner to jump it up to LTE

• JP White

Expand Collapse

Scrum Master
        City & State/Province:
        Hendersonville TN
        For those not wanting to pay for yet another data plan it is often possible to use your cell as a WiFi Hotspot.

I setup my Hotspot with the same SSID and Password as my home WiFi so my devices automatically connect when the hotspot is activated when I'm away from home.

The Model 3 could easily take advantage of your 4G cell phone in this way. The car would be automatically connected to WiFi at home or your cell away from home.

• TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
        Founder
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Aurora,Ontario
        Country
        #9 TrevP, Jul 4, 2016
        Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
        That makes total sense and I agree with it in principle. However Tesla would never take away connectivity from the cars, the data, for good (Autopilot fleet learning) or evil (protecting themselves from accelerator punching newbies flying into buildings and lying about it) is too valuable.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • WaitingForTesla

Expand Collapse

Button Pusher, Image Mover
          City & State/Province:
          New York, NY
          I agree that they may disable some of the data hungry end user / real-time features, they'll no doubt keep the account open with AT&T for diagnostic purposes as long as the car is under warranty in anyway.

• teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Boston
          Country
          I'd be surprised if they end up charging for the data. They want all that AP data coming back home and they cant make you use your own service and then suck your data plan dry with all that information. They give you free service and the price for that is they collect telemetry data on you to make the systems better. Seems like a fair trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • BigBri

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Toronto, Ontario
            Country
            Worst case they'd probably just turn off some of the end user features but the car is designed around having access to updates and providing information back to home base.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Vancouver, WA
            Country
            I don't have a link readily available, but Tesla had confirmed the vehicles will always have 3G at a minimum covered by Tesla.
            (mentioned this a few posts back from hearing on a podcast, then at that time did some digging around and found the same directly from Tesla)

• TGRETZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            St. Catharines Ontario Canada
            I want the 100GB plan so I can stream video. New # P75D100GB lol
            I asked BMW about their internet and after the term they cover, it was about $100 CDN per year for the data package.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Vancouver, WA
            Country
            Video streaming isn't blocked because of the bandwidth, but because visible video isn't allowed by regulators. Same reason aftermarket double-din DVD capable car decks require the parking brake to be on or the video to be sent to the back seats. Even with the advent of autonomous driving, I doubt that will change anytime soon, because for the foreseeable future, there will be the option to manually drive the car.