debating whether to powder coat my 19" Sport wheels

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a midnight silver Model 3, and since i got the chrome delete, windows tinted, i want a set of darker color wheels to match the rest of the car. i can get a set of 19" TST black wheels from TSportsline, but they're 4lb heavier than stock 19", which turns me off. Then i turned to the idea of powder coating, below are the pros and cons:

pros: cheap, get any color you want, still using the same factory wheels.

cons: have to leave my Tesla jacked up at a friend's shop for 4 days while wheels get powder coated since i do not have a spare set, worry about wheels get damaged during the process.

when i went to my garage this morning, i kind of like the contrast look with the bright silver wheels and the rest of the car. i want the black out look now, but not sure if i will like it long term. ahhh, can't make up my mind LOL

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when i went to my garage this morning, i kind of like the contrast look with the bright silver wheels and the rest of the car. i want the black out look now, but not sure if i will like it long term. ahhh, can't make up my mind LOL
Then I propose that plasti-dipping the wheels might be a better choice for you. Very easy to peel it off when you're ready to go back to silver.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Then I propose that plasti-dipping the wheels might be a better choice for you. Very easy to peel it off when you're ready to go back to silver.
not a big fan of plasti-dipping, want to choose one direction and stick with it.

Country
Country
I went through the same process like you did, but I ended up pulling the trigger on powder coating the rims (satin black), I don't regret going black. I shopped around and got quotes ($420)

Not sure why you have to leave your car for 4 days, but i got mines done in 1 day ( drop off at noon-630ish), I had the option to do the red calipers, but i didn't want my car at the shop for 1.5 day.

My wife has been nagging me for the past few months about all the mods i've been doing to the car (women just don't understand, she believes i'm going through a mid-life crisis), but when i came home, she actually likes the black look over the chrome.

It was bugging me day in and day out, whether to do it or not, but i just pulled the trigger. chrome is just too typical.

Hopefully I made up your mind.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went through the same process like you did, but I ended up pulling the trigger on powder coating the rims (satin black), I don't regret going black. I shopped around and got quotes ($420)

Not sure why you have to leave your car for 4 days, but i got mines done in 1 day ( drop off at noon-630ish), I had the option to do the red calipers, but i didn't want my car at the shop for 1.5 day.

My wife has been nagging me for the past few months about all the mods i've been doing to the car (women just don't understand, she believes i'm going through a mid-life crisis), but when i came home, she actually likes the black look over the chrome.

It was bugging me day in and day out, whether to do it or not, but i just pulled the trigger. chrome is just too typical.

Hopefully I made up your mind.
I’ve inquired two shops around L.A. area and both of them are saying at least 3 business days of work because the wheels have to brushed down to the bare metal before they powder coating them. Where is your location? If near me do you mind share the shop name? Thanks.

Country
Country
I’ve inquired two shops around L.A. area and both of them are saying at least 3 business days of work because the wheels have to brushed down to the bare metal before they powder coating them. Where is your location? If near me do you mind share the shop name? Thanks.
baid polish (vivek) in anahiem (57 and 91FWY)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/baid-polish-anaheim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my 19 rim powder coated by Luis at JR Wheel:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jr-wheel-garden-grove

He was able to do it in one day (9am drop off, 4:30pm pick up). He can do it in one day because he has the right equipment and only takes one Tesla Model 3 per day. You need to make an appointment.

He was also able to paint my caliper red and paint my wheel caps the same gun metal color as the power coated rims.

Attachments

Country
Country

He was able to do it in one day (9am drop off, 4:30pm pick up). He can do it in one day because he has the right equipment and only takes one Tesla Model 3 per day. You need to make an appointment.

He was also able to paint my caliper red and paint my wheel caps the same gun metal color as the power coated rims.
gun metal looks nice on red, where you get your chrome delete done at? and how much?

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will give JR Wheel a call today. Which one looks better on midnight silver metallic, matte black or shiny gunmetal?

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

i'm thinking about doing the same. i have my own guy for the brake caliper painting, but for the convenience of leaving my car with JR and having everything done in the same day is very attractive to me. how's the brake caliper painting holding up? the guy i used to go he uses high temp paint, but Luis uses ceramic, not sure if they're the same thing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Off the top of my head I think Luis charged $500 for the powder coating and $300 for the caliper paint. Truthfully at these prices, I would have to assume that the paint and the power coat may not last the entire lifetime of the car. I'm okay with that. He did say that he would guarantee the paint for a year.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
gun metal looks nice on red, where you get your chrome delete done at? and how much?
The chrome delete was done at:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/coat-my-car-newport-beach

You can read my review on their page (Zap B). It cost me $800, which was a one of the higher quotes that I got. I went with them because my co-worker recommend the owner Abraham to me. I also got full custom front ppf done there and I was able to negotiate a little discount because I combined services.
I've spent way too much money already. I didn't even know what chrome delete was before November! I need to stop going on these Tesla Model 3 forums.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe i just do the red caliper painting and stick with the silver 19" Sport wheels for now. that combo does not look that bad actually, every OEM like the Performance model.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is it true powder coating wheels can potentially weaken the wheels? the price varies so much from shop to shop, and they all having good reviews, not sure which one's legit.

Country
Country
The chrome delete was done at:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/coat-my-car-newport-beach

You can read my review on their page (Zap B). It cost me $800, which was a one of the higher quotes that I got. I went with them because my co-worker recommend the owner Abraham to me. I also got full custom front ppf done there and I was able to negotiate a little discount because I combined services.
I've spent way too much money already. I didn't even know what chrome delete was before November! I need to stop going on these Tesla Model 3 forums.
same here i need to stop looking at people's mods and ideas, it's becoming an addition of adding mods to the car. thanks for the info.