1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

delay acceleration from a stop

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by Rhaekar, May 7, 2018.

1. Rhaekar

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Handling wise it's really fun to drive but the initial delay when you hit the accelerator from a stop is kind of weird. Feels like the car is holding back unlike the P90/100D which immediately goes (non-launch mode). The top end of the Model 3 is really lacking too. Can't wait for a PD version of the Model 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I guess so ... maybe ... I don’t even have roads here where I could use more ;)

3. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    This is the first I've heard of any kind of accelerator delay. Is anybody else noticing this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AMPM

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Perhaps you should start a new thread? Or poll?

5. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I've seen it mentioned before.

6. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    How bad are we talking here? This is the first I've heard of it too; everyone I've seen has said it's very responsive. I find nothing more annoying than delayed acceleration. I sometimes have to drive a turbodiesel at work, and it can at times be more than a second before when you put your foot down and when the power kicks in. Despite the power not being bad when it comes, that initial delay is almost comically frustrating. At least with my Insight, while it's completely powerless, you don't have to wait a second for its powerless engine to kick in ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Mine personally feels very instantaneous.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    Local styling and performance shop was talking about this. Apparently most fly-by-wire accelerators still induce some kind of delay. They sell a product called PedalBox that is wired in between the accelerator harness (plug and play) and remaps the accelerator response and delay. Haven't had a chance to try it out, but was considering doing it as a trial. The local shop has a satisfaction money back guarantee including install and uninstall if you don't like it.

Link to the actual product: https://www.pedalbox.com/us/
    They show Tesla models being available, but not specifically Model 3. The local guys said it will work on the Model 3 though.

9. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I don’t feel any delay. It’s just not as jolting as a Performance Model S with Ludicrous, which is expected.

Also, are we talking acceleration from a dead stop with Vehicle Hold on or off? Because that may explain the delay if any.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #10 garsh, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Not applicable to EVs. They're talking about converting the movement of the accelerator pedal into an electrical signal, then back into a physical motion to move the throttle of the engine. Those extra conversions introduce delay.

Everything stays electrical in an EV. An EV - and I mean *any* and *every* EV - should feel more responsive to the accelerator than any combustion vehicle.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rhaekar

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It's very minor but it's not instantaneous like when you floor it when you're moving a little already. People are probably talking about it being very responsive when you're already in motion, which it definitely is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I tested acceleration today, both from a dead stop with and without Vehicle Hold. Car accelerates instantly in both cases.

I do think you have a point with regards to a delay in responsiveness from a rolling start vs. a dead stop. From a rolling start I tend to feel the acceleration "punch" a bit more when flooring the pedal, whereas in a dead stop it takes a split second for the feeling to kick in, but it's there. The car definitely responds right away, I could hear the tires and motors moving the instant pedal hit the floor.

I think, once again, its' more a difference just in the massive amount of launch we feel in P cars vs. Model 3. The 3 just has much less power behind it vs. a P car, so it doesn't feel as strong.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TeslaModel3Owner

Expand Collapse

Country
    I don't have a point of comparison, but I feel it too. There's no "wow" factor when you step on it from 0, even though the reviews mention otherwise.

I'm on 2018.12

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    But, is there an actual delay in the response, or do you feel that it's just not strong acceleration?

15. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    Could be applicable if there is software limiting that this device gets around. Many ICE vehicles have had throttle by wire for some time now. But we're not talking about EV vs ICE here. We're talking any vehicle without this device vs with it. The company that makes it and the local company that installs it (they own several Teslas) claim there are gains to be had. Maybe it's all placebo, but I haven't had a chance to try it myself. It's also supposed to have eco mode, which I'm assuming is basically the same as chill mode. Anyways, someone mentioned noticing throttle delay and this product claims to be able to reduce it, even on Tesla. I'd be interested to hear if anyone does have a chance to try it out.

16. TeslaModel3Owner

Expand Collapse

Country
    #16 TeslaModel3Owner, May 8, 2018
    I feel a delay. Acceleration increases after you pick up a little speed, then decreases again once you reach higher speeds. Haven't tested, but I would guess best acceleration to be in the 20-55 mph range.

Don't get me wrong. Acceleration is still quite strong, but no one's going to be gasping in surprise or delight.

17. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    If there is a software limit, it can be removed later if Tesla determines that the motors are lasting well in the real world and the initial limits that they placed are overconservative. They did this at least once with the S.

18. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #18 Spiffywerks, May 8, 2018
    It might be inherent to the new motor design that it doesn't have the line "punch" that the older motors have. This motor design also limits ability of "one pedal" driving - where it doesn't stop movement completely like induction motors.

Take a look at this post from @CoastalCruiser, it leads to a very interesting read on the Model 3's motor tech:
    https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...he-model-3-motor-welcome-to-the-machine.6217/

Some of the basic points:
    • Model S/X use Permanent Induction Motors - Make gobs of power, Cost more to make, Weight more, have a larger footprint, less efficient than PMSRM.
    • Model 3 uses a PMSRM, Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor - Smaller, lighter, more efficient, makes more power per weight than a PIM.
    • PMSRM requires a lot of computer management to make it work smoothly, because it uses a single magnetic field to move a stationary object. (It's more of a magnet pulling a metal towards it, but it needs to do it at very precisely timed intervals to make it work as a motor.)
    • PIM uses two opposing magnetic fields, requires little management because it's your everyday electric motor that works by creating N/S poles that make them fling each other away as strongly as they can.
    I'm sure the tech will get better. Programming updates could easily possibly make the motor more powerful/efficient. If the Tesla SEMI is using three Model 3 motors, then obviously they have more to give than they are being pressed to do right now. Like @KarenRei said above, I would not be surprised if they are being overly conservative with the Model 3 for now and make it better down the road. (Other thing I LOVE about Tesla... even making a car faster after you've purchased it... FOR FREE!)

19. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    maybe tesla purposely did this to maybe prevent someone from driving thru their garage back wall or into a nail salon when attempting to park.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. TeslaModel3Owner

Expand Collapse

Country
    After some testing, it seems 30-60 mph is the sweet spot for maximum acceleration. There’s a noticeable extra kick to the acceleration at 30.

• Agree Agree x 2