1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Destination Charging where you work?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by SoFlaModel3, Aug 12, 2017.

More threads by SoFlaModel3
  1. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    For those getting Model 3, take a moment to reach out to management of your work location to plant the seed of destination charging. I work in a commercial space with a lot of tenants and a few thousand employees as well as a mix of foot traffic from customers as well.

I think our building would be perfect for destination charging.

Send this link to your office management if applicable and help get the ball rolling!

https://www.tesla.com/charging-partners?redirect=no

I don't actually expect that I'll ever need it, but it should be good for attracting customers and new tenants and be a great resource for me personally if I ever do need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    yesterday at work, a couple of my coworkers and I had the conversation turn to Model 3 (I know, crazy! right?) and one of them commented about people constantly on 2-3 year car leases and I pointed out the waste of cash that is (vs buying and selling after 2-3 years with the remaining value going into the next new car) and that leasing only really makes fiscal sense for businesses that can write them off (didn't get into Tesla not offering the Model 3 with a lease). This then turned to the company's partners (we are a small dozen person business) could/should get us a tesla as a company car/write off. The one partner that was there laughed and said something like "the landlord can't manage to fix what's broken, you think they will add a charger/outlet outside?!" (have I mentioned I think the building our office is in sucks?). so he didn't outright laugh at a small company acquiring a Tesla, just where to plug it in.
    so.. tldr, no destination charger at work for me. lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    My company is building a brand new building for 2019. Many employees have been asking to EVSEs to be installed including me! They have been letting me use the 110V outlet.

• Like Like x 4
  4. EValuatED

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Herndon, VA
    Country
    #4 EValuatED, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    I'm fortunate to have a free charger close to where I park when I'm in my main office -- a few other EVers use it but we mostly seem to cooperate well -- management put in with a posted "4 hour quick charge" policy accessible by two "EV only while charging" spots (of which one occasionally gets ICEd, fortunately rarely). And there are several ChargePoint pay chargers in the block around the building. They're occasionally out of service but ChargePoint is very responsive, though sometimes it's out of their hands (e.g., when a privately owned EVSE needs repair or electrical work).

Over the last year I've pushed the management of the remote office I sometimes work out of -- and just last week they told me they're going to add some chargers on the Sema network -- better than no chargers -- though I did speak with the maintenance manager about other options. We'll see. :)

BTW, I've used Blink chargers in a nearby mall. Mostly great, one time a unit was out. Have seen spots ICE'd. I'm sure by someone was delivering the cure for cancer or something. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Derik

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Inland Empire, California
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    My work installed 5 or 6 charge point locations out front this year. Have to pay for it but I believe it is at discounted rate since you need to sign up through the company to use the chargers.

I'm good to go with charging at home or at work now!

• Like Like x 3
  6. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    We have a bunch of chargepoint chargers at work, where they charge 50 cents an hour to charge. That's half the dollar-per-hour of the street parking meters, but some are also in the parking garages which we already pay for. Furthermore there is already way more EVs here than chargers, so they are always full. I might be memorizing spaces near normal outlets in the parking garage soon...

• Like Like x 2
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    or get into work earlier

8. mig

mig
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    Free workplace charging is great, but I have noticed that it it may negatively impact the attitudes of non-EV drivers who feel like users of free workplace charging are "gassing up for free" at the office, and like all nice things that only apply to some employees (free childcare as another example) I have seen cases where a few complainers can ruin it for everyone (proving we can't have nice things).

Even after arguing that people can charge their devices for free at the office, and that the cost of power to top off an EV's charge is way less than "free gas" would be, I think it is lost cause, and may hurt the optics of EVs more than it helps (just my $0.02).

All I want anyway is a stall of chargepoint or other pay-per-use chargers at work, that I can use on days where I have extra after-work errands, or forgot to plug in at night (and had enough stored energy to make it in to work, but not home again). I don't really think the economics of daily workplace charging for everyone will scale up anyway, unless in the future there is a huge investment in the smart grid, and millions of vehicles plugged in during the day can help offset sudden demand, store renewable energy, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hey ChargePoint stalls at the office would be great too!

I didn't think of it that way and it's a shame (though I'm sure a reality) to think of it the way you have described.

10. EValuatED

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Herndon, VA
    Country
    @JWardell I think @MelindaV just said you better hustle if you want that cheap juice buddy! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. EValuatED

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Herndon, VA
    Country
    Good points for the long term -- I've been wondering how things will go as we graduate from early adopters to mainstream (looking at how people park in the Handicap or No parking zone spots is not inspiring).

An observation: there's a mall nearby my home where a few years ago they put a small group of pay chargers in the top third of the lot (so fairly close to the stores) as opposed to "front row."

• Like Like x 3
  12. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    It SHOULD make them jealous. It should encourage them to drive EVs. That's the point, the company can represent itself as being green by reducing not only its direct pollution but that of all its employees. And these days, companies desperate for good employees are looking for a trendy perk like that.

50 cents an hour is hardly cheap juice! But even more expensive is missed sleep!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2