DIY PPF application on (warrenty replaced) headlamp

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Situation: I will be getting a new drivers side front headlamp (warrenty work for the dim LED strip accent lights) to replace my unit that has PPF/Opti-Coat on it.

I have purchased a pre cut piece of PPF for the new headlamp and plan to DIY install it the evening I get the new headlamp unit.

I will post my adventures when it happens (expect mid November due to parts availability and distance to SC).

In the meantime, if anyone else has done this and have words of wisdom, please send them my way.

I have watched an RPM Tesla video describing this procedure and they recommend a 30% alcohol solution versus the typical (mild) baby shampoo solution as the lubricant of choice.

Any issues with that? Thanks. Cheers.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
normally you use the shampoo to get it positioned, then use the IPA solution to help tack it in place (maybe it also washes away some of the shampoo. For that small of an application, I don't think it will matter much, just slick it up and get it in position and start smoothing. Best tool is a small stiffer but still slightly flexible plastic blade with some felt covering the edge to smooth out the plastic. pay particular attention to clearing the solution from under the ridge as that is where it will tend to accumulate. Anyway, shouldn't be too difficult for a piece that size. keep the backing handy as the material is pretty forgiving and if you have trouble just take it off and set on the backing and give yourself a moment before starting again.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Thanks @scaots for the tips.

One follow up question, can you confirm the "ridge" you speak of.....

pay particular attention to clearing the solution from under the ridge as that is where it will tend to accumulate
.....is the ridge of the squeegee tool as it creats a "bow wave"?

Cheers.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @scaots for the tips.

One follow up question, can you confirm the "ridge" you speak of.....

.....is the ridge of the squeegee tool as it creats a "bow wave"?

Cheers.
sorry, the ridge in the body. that ridge down the top center of the lights or any body crease tend to accumulate bubbles as it is harder to smooth it out there. Just work sections out slowly and it will be fine. wait a few weeks (park in the sun) and let it dry out then any remaining bubbles you can pop with a very tiny needle or better a micro syringe to suck any liquid or air out.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
sorry, the ridge in the body. that ridge down the top center of the lights or any body crease tend to accumulate bubbles as it is harder to smooth it out there. Just work sections out slowly and it will be fine. wait a few weeks (park in the sun) and let it dry out then any remaining bubbles you can pop with a very tiny needle or better a micro syringe to suck any liquid or air out.
Awesome, thanks!

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I applied the new PPF.

I'm not happy with the results but will live with it until next (late) spring, just to have the protection against the sand/road salt blasting.

Then I'll pay a pro to put on a new piece.