DIY Trunk light

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that the kids are occupying my 3D printers for a while, I've decided to turn to my solder iron for today's project:

trunk light.jpg
Here it is mounted:

trunk top.jpg

I know Abstract Ocean already have an excellent solution for this, but for me, the fun is in building it myself.
And the before and after pictures:

trunk before.jpg
trunk after.jpg

Last edited:

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like you really ... (puts on sunglasses)... trunk-ated the darkness!

I look forward to seeing this post explode into another "shut up and take my money, @chojn1" thread. :p

EDIT: Darkness, Trunk-ated... the marketing writes itself!

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using inexpensive LED strips to light my basement and workbench. A long continuous light source is so much nicer than bright point sources. Great idea for the trunk!

batzman

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wonderful idea and one that I will do myself. I have many spare led light strips that I can use for this purpose. Thanks Chojn1.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So the question of the day - did you take the light out on the left side and just use that plug? I see the right hand side light still shining. Also do you know that one on the right stays on 5 minutes longer than the one of the left?

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So the question of the day - did you take the light out on the left side and just use that plug? I see the right hand side light still shining. Also do you know that one on the right stays on 5 minutes longer than the one of the left?
Hi @GDN,
The left side bulb is unplugged but left in place.
I wanted the trunk light on when the trunk is open and off when it is closed, hence the left side placement.
The right side bulb function is unchanged.
The next project is running some of these strips to the rear passenger footwells.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry Chojn1, not thread-jacking, just adding to the discussion on how I spliced for power.

What connector is that? I might have to do this.
I used two of these, 3M UG connectors and measured the lengths with some extra wire and soldered it all into two leads for the tap.

upload_2018-7-3_12-12-40.png

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/led-strip-trunk-lighting.6618/#post-93062

the wires ran toward the passenger wide, behind the cover then into the existing wire loom and tapped the leads more toward the little trunk light. you'll need to test the ground and 12v since the LED strips are polarized.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

UTexas98

Country
Country
This is a cool project. If you're not comfortable with electricity/making components then I would suggest buying two replacement lights from Abstract Ocean and just swapping those out (super simple project). They make a huge difference in lighting the trunk.

I don't mess with the electrical side too much, so I'm wondering is there a guide to perform this or a video?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Great project. It's a shame Tesla doesn't provide better lighting to begin with for the trunk area. I'll have to purchase some 2-wire LED strips for this one. Most of the scraps I have are 4-wire types.

Would something like this work with splicing:

I guess I'm not able to post links until my post count has reached a certain #.

You'll have to search using the following description on Amazon:

"
Wire Connectors - Pack of 12 low voltage wire T tap connectors T type 2 Pin solderless with no wire-stripping required for Mid-span Branching in Wires Connection 20/22 AWG Cable By brightfour"

theonlysamiam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is a cool project. If you're not comfortable with electricity/making components then I would suggest buying two replacement lights from Abstract Ocean and just swapping those out (super simple project). They make a huge difference in lighting the trunk.
For me, it's more about not knowing where to start. I'm more of a learn by doing kind of person (various maintenance items on my old ICE car) and would love to see a write-up or a video of this process.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm totally "stealing" your idea. I have some of this channel left over from a previous project. It mounts to a surface at a right angle and the LED strip sticks to the 45 degree section. The little white cover snaps over the whole thing and acts as a diffuser. Looks like the OE connectors can be had for less than a dollar apiece if you know where to look and don't mind waiting :)