1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Does autopilot get better with time?

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by htrajan, May 24, 2018.

1. htrajan

Expand Collapse

Country
    Just took delivery today (squeee!) and autopilot became available after about 40mi of driving. I activated it on a very standard highway (CA 101) and found it right away favoring far closer to the right edge of the lane than I'm comfortable with. There was also another situation where a bus was in the lane over to the left and came close to swerving into my lane (and hitting me) but AP just held steady. I gave that a nope and steered away from it, breaking out of AP. Anyone have similar experiences on the very first day or early into ownership in general?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Autopilot doesn’t get better with time in the sense that you’re asking. In other words it’s not learning your roads and preferences and directly apply that learning to the “next drive”.

Tesla is recording the data though and uses all data coming into to improve autopilot with software updates. Often big improvements that go unannounced in fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    File a bug report through the vehicle when AP does something you don't like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Congrats! :)

5. Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What you are experiencing is not a flaw in EAP, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. What you are experiencing is a different behavior from your own human driving style. Many human drivers (myself included) naturally favor staying a little left in the lane while EAP keeps the car perfectly centered in the lane, when you are behind the wheel this definitely feels odd at first.

As human drivers when we pass a big truck. say in the lane to the right of us, even though the big truck is fully in its own lane, we tend to slide over to the left side of our lane to provide a few inches of extra space between us and the truck as we pass. This is a natural human fear based emotional reaction, however EAP only knows logic and has no emotion, no fear, so instead its logic says vehicle to my right in its own lane so I should stay the course and keep centered in my lane.

It takes time to get used to this and it "feels" unnatural at first but it is not wrong. Since getting my Model 3 and using EAP I have observed how badly human drivers really are.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I agree. But I think at some point in the future, EAP will be updated to perform this same sort of "stay away from the car beside me" logic. Having more space gives you (or the car) more time to react if something goes wrong, like that semi blowing a tire and suddenly veering towards you.

• Like Like x 4
  7. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Or this is the beginning of the machine teaching us how to accept it's behaviors before Skynet takes over. Either way, we're all doomed in the end...... Lol..... Yes, I'm just kidding!:)

8. htrajan

Expand Collapse

Country
    Ok yeah, I might have just been a little squeamish driving in a $50K (after taxes and incentives) vehicle for the first time (I've never owned a vehicle with a value in excess of 5k before). I'll try to be less pushy with it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Congrats on getting your car! :)

+1 to what the other folks said on here. AP does like to stick the car right smack in the center of a lane and sometimes it gets kinda hairy. I've been next to big trucks/buses and it's unnerving to see them so close, but AP will not move. I imagine the computer logic is like "hey I'm in the center of my lane, you're the one too far to the right/left so you move." At that point you just have to take over and adjust.

I naturally favor the left side, so whenever I turn on AP (or am behind other Teslas that activate AP) you can see the moment AP comes on because the car "moves over" at least a few inches to get in the middle of the lane.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. SinginJer

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I just got my car Wednesday, and took it from the bay area to LA last night, so had a nice long ride using AP. I similarly thought it was driving more to the right of the lane than I expected. However, it felt like when it passed another vehicle, it moved slightly towards the left.

And, for me, AP was available very quickly. I drove from Fremont to my office near Levi's stadium, and I started noticing the AP Available icon on 85 before I got to 280 (for those familiar with the Bay Area highways). Maybe 15 miles total.

11. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    The most annoying thing to me is if you're in a 3 lane divided highway on AP at almost every exit/entrance it swings right as the line disappears and then shifts back left again when the merge/exit is done. Its terrible behavior and pretty dumb. In the middle and left lanes it's wonderful, but the right its not really safe unless you're crawling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This must vary by location. That actually never happens to me here with the car continuing to go straight even in the right lane. The only time my car wavers in AP is if the lane widens before splitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My car wants to take the exit most of the time, and it'll either drift right then back again, or AP disengages because it tried to actually exit and I held the wheel preventing it.
    Edit: It does this to a lesser extent with on ramps. It must think "wow a really wide lane for 20 feet, I must stay exactly in the middle of it!"

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. htrajan

Expand Collapse

Country
    Is AP generally not receptive to other cars wanting to merge in front of you in stop and go traffic? What will often happen is that my follow distance is large enough to allow a car to barely creep in after the car in front starts moving and puts some distance in front of me. The model 3 will start moving forward and continue that pace even as another car is intent on merging in front of me. That car is not visible on the screen even when it's halfway into the lane and AP shows no signs of reacting to it so I just hit the brakes and let it in. I didn't have the "guts" to just let AP handle this - I feared it would result in a fender bender.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blee

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I took delivery yesterday, after about 40 miles was able to turn on. Speed was instantly set, but drifted into left adjacent lane right away. Turned off and tried again a few minutes later, same thing but drifted over the yellow line to the right this time. no movement or feel of movement on the wheel (had my hands on it) Should I report (if so, to whom) or does it need more miles to work better?

16. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    It sounds like you had TACC (traffic aware cruise control) on and activated but not EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). With only 40 miles on the car it's possible that EAP was not available yet. Did you get the blue steering wheel symbol in the upper left corner of the display? This indicates that Autopilot is active.

Just FYI once the system is active one click down on the right stalk is TACC, 2 clicks for EAP (actually it only takes 1/2 a click for either, no need to push the stalk fully down).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. pacific dunes

Expand Collapse

Country
    So hoping to see if anyone else is having this problem. In some highway stretches, autopilot appears to shutoff without any real reason. (I have semi-autopilot on a Volvo xc-90, so I have some minimal expectations. Volvo does not rely on a map database, but rather it's sensors and cameras.)

I can usually tell that the Model 3 autopilot is about to shut off as it starts jerking the steering wheel just before it gives up and shuts off. I've had this happen in long stretches where there is nothing but the lane markings, however I am doing about 8-10 mph over the limit. Any thoughts?

18. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have to start with — are your hands on the wheel providing resistance?

In my experience, if autopilot freaks out, it quickly expects you to take over, not gradually.

19. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Yes. Use the bug report feature on said stretches of road so that Tesla can see what the sensors are seeing, why the computer thinks it needs to give up control, and what it should be doing instead.

20. pacific dunes

Expand Collapse

Country
    Yes - hands on the wheel all the time. There are some long stretches of interstates that have no issues.

Yes - it stops and cancels itself quickly, not gradually.