1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Don't press "Adjust Headlights" button

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by jsmay311, Aug 16, 2018.

1. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    TL;DR:
    I hit the "Adjust Headlights" button on my Model 3 last night, and now the headlights have been stuck on ever since. So far Tesla doesn't know the cause or how to fix it.
    Bottom line: I'd recommend no one else touch that button. (I'm on firmware 2018.28.5.)

Full story:
    Last night while parked I hit the "Adjust Headlights" button under the Service menu just out of curiosity to check it out the functionality. An "Adjust Headlights" window popped up on the screen, but all the buttons were grayed out and there was just a circle spinning around and around (like when you're waiting for something to load on a computer), so I wasn't able to try adjusting them. Probably for the best, as there was also a little disclaimer at the bottom of the window explaining that it's not recommended for anyone other than Tesla technicians to adjust the headlights. (Since then I've also read the section in the manual reiterating this warning.) So I figured Tesla had simply disabled this feature. No biggie. I closed out of the window, exited the car, and went on with my day.

3 hours later I come back to find the headlights are on. At first I figured the car had failed to recognize that I had left the car and it had simply stayed on this whole time, but no... I checked and it was locked and off. Once inside I find that I can't turn off the headlights, nor can I turn off the ambient lights, and the dome lights won't turn off when they're in the "Auto" setting (but they will turn off in the "Off" setting).

After trying multiple car resets, walking away from the car for 30 minutes, checking all the doors, plugging in / unplugging, etc., I call Tesla Customer Service. They spend 25 minutes having me try all the things I already tried, to no avail. Eventually they say they'll arrange to send someone out to fix it.

This afternoon I got a call from a 'diagnostic technician' (I think that's what he called himself) asking me questions about the situation, and he suggested that there might be a bug in the firmware and he was trying to investigate the issue to pass information along to Tesla engineers. Then later I got a call from one of the mobile repair guys, and he says he can't get anyone out to me for a week, so maybe I'd prefer to take it into the Service Center instead.
    But if it's a firmware bug, I don't even know what they'd be able to do. Is there some kind of "hard" reset they can do at a Service Center that goes beyond holding the steering wheel buttons down?

Normally I wouldn't care too much about a nuisance issue like this, but I was planning on going on a trip tomorrow and leaving my car in a public lot overnight, but now I don't want to since leaving the headlights on all night might attract unwanted attention. So I'm fairly annoyed (especially after how pathetically my first 2 weeks of "ownership" went).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    One more detail that I just noticed on my drive home: the high beams won't turn on.

3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Have you tried powering off the car from the menu?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'd be tempted to disconnect the 12v battery and give it a few minutes before reconnecting. Don't the headlights run off of that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    Another update: I set up a time-lapse camera in my garage overnight, and the headlights actually cycled on/off roughly once an hour. (I.e., one hour on, one hour off, etc.) But the daytime running lights stayed on consistently.

Yes.

Sounds like that's what the Service Center would try first, but they strongly recommended against me trying to do it myself.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Funny, that is just the type of comment that would encourage me to try it! I'm actually tempted to adjust my headlights now just to see what happens. If I do I'll let you know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I adjusted my headlights in late May. No problem! I will not try this again until the problem is rectified.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The only other reset I've heard about in these forums is the "two finger one foot salute." That is, with your foot on the brake, press the two steering wheel buttons and hold all three until the screen turns black and the Tesla logo comes up. Then release all. I don't know if that doesn't anything that just the steering wheel buttons don't, but it's cheap to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    One more tidbit: I just realized that the front turn signal / hazard lights aren't working. (The rear turn signal / hazard lights are working though.)

I'm scheduled to have a mobile repair guy come out to my work next Tuesday to attempt a fix.

10. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    Got it fixed today. :)

A mobile service tech (Kyle, great guy btw) came out to my work. He mentioned that he had seen a couple other similar issues on other Model 3's related to the "Adjust Headlights" button.

To fix it, he did a "hard" reset by first disconnecting the 12V battery under the hood, then disconnecting a connector on the top of the HV battery pack under the rear-right seat (he said it was a connector for the BMS), and then just waiting a few minutes before reconnecting everything. Voila.

Finally... now I won't have to endure 10 different co-workers texting me or stopping by my desk every day to tell me my lights are on and having to explain the whole sorry situation to them! :p:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kenneth815

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I just took delivery of my model3 today and was curious was going through all the menu options and did the same thing. Hit the "Adjust Headlights" button and now I'm experiencing all the exact same symptoms as @jsmay311 described.

Glad I found this post, was going crazy thinking I changed some setting. Guess I'll have to contact Tesla in the morning.

Thanks for sharing all this info!

12. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Wonder if disconnecting the 12V would be enough on its own. Anyone can do that.

13. Mesprit87

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Wonder what happens if you try again...o_O
    They did the reset but probably didn't fix the issue.
    Next update maybe.

14. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    #14 jsmay311, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Sorry to hear that. What firmware version are you on?

Be aware that your front turn signals likely won't work
    until it's fixed. And expect a lot of vampire drain. During the week I experienced this problem, my "on screen" efficiency was under 200 Wh/mi, but my actual wall-to-wheels efficiency was ~480 Wh/mi.

It's good to know that Tesla has the resources available to make the Model X dance to classical music but not to fix safety-related bugs like this. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. neps

Expand Collapse

Country
    I also thought it was weird that the "Adjust Headlights" button didn't have a warning or a prompt before starting adjustment. The accompanying text says that this should only be done by the service center - but it doesn't tell me that until after i've already started the process.

And how does it work? Like if I'm on a sloped driveway, does the Adjust button level them to the earth, not to the slope of the driveway, and thus cause my lights to be out of alignment?

• Like Like x 1
  16. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    Back when it used to work, you could just manually adjust the height/angle of each headlight using the right and left scroll wheels on the steering wheel. I can understand why they might want to discourage people from messing with the settings, since they might aim them too high and blind oncoming drivers. But that doesn't excuse the firmware bug.

17. Unplugged

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I adjusted my right headlight up a small amount when I first received the Model 3 in April. I had no issues with doing it. It's smart to avoid doing that now until Tesla figures out what line of code messed up the headlight adjustment command.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My right headlight was extremely misaligned when I picked it up (5 feet from the garage wall it was a foot lower than the drivers side). It was so simple to correct on the screen. Most car headlights are consumer adjustable. It ain't rocket science!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kevin44

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just picked up my model 3 today and now my headlights won’t turn off because of this “bug”. 1+ hour hold for Tesla support. Any advice? :(

20. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    If you're willing to try (even though Tesla apparently advises against it, even though it's what their techs will do when they come), you can try disconnecting the 12V.

• Agree Agree x 1
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.