Door Handles and Kids (Model 3)

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Gabzqc, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Gabzqc

Expand Collapse

Country
    How do young kids get on with opening the Model 3 doors on their own? Any stories of pinched fingers yet? Easier for them to use two hands to open?
    Any experience would be great to hear. I have a 3 year old who can open my VW door handle totally fine and an 8 year old who has no problems.

Thanks!

2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My 5 year old has it figured out and my 2.5 year old hasn’t tried, but I ask them both to not touch the handles. I don’t think pinching is a concern as they close back with limited force so it’s more so a fear of door dings ;)

3. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Only the strong survive.

Don't worry. It's better for the species.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bradkeller

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    We're still waiting for our invitation to configure, so I can't answer after repeated instances. But I tested this very problem, using the Model 3 in the DC showroom. The 7 year old got it pretty easily, after a few tries. But I think she prefers to use two hands. The 4 year old only ever tried with two hands, but was able to do it.

This compares to the fact that neither of them can open the doors in our other two cars: a 2009 Prius and our 1999 Mazda 626 (which god willing will hold on for another 1-2 months).

5. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I found kids figure out how and use the handles on the Model 3 better than any of my adult friends.

My daughter or her friends has never pulled the emergency door pull. They’ve always used the button even without instructions. They just get it.

Of course, every one of her friends loves Tesla. I think our younger generation really embraces electric cars and technology. They all grew up using iPads, so Elon, that cool forward thinker he is, designed this car with that generation of drivers in mind. No kid that will start driving on the next couple years will ever think the center screen is weird or anything else on the car. It will be getting into a different manufacture car and wonder what all those ugly buttons and switches are for. (Okay I went off on a tangent here..)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. janinipoo

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have a 5 and 3 year old and they both figured out how to open the doors from the outside in less than 1 day. I also turned the child locks on so they can't open the door from the inside because the button to open the doors looks like the window button and they kept playing with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Phil Kulak

Expand Collapse

Country
    My 8 and 5 year old both have no problems. They get a kick out of how odd they are.

8. smak

Expand Collapse

Country
    Just teach them the Shaka brah!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. greatwiseone

Expand Collapse

Country
    I was at the Tesla store looking at the model 3 and a 3 year old figured it out before the adults did.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1