1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Drivetrain issues on a loaner P85D, and some temporary fixes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AEDennis, Nov 6, 2016.

More threads by AEDennis
  1. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    We've had our drivetrain on our Model S replaced at 25k miles because of an issue with early Model S that has since been fixed with a small "50 cent" part. In that case, it was just an annoying motor whine that has since re-occurred in our car in the 60k+ miles. It's been getting progressively louder and the car is heading into the service center for its annual maintenance.

A few weeks ago we had a P85D loaner with 7.1, AP1.0 as a loaner while my wife's Roadster spent a while in the Service Center for some challenges after the annual service.

[​IMG]IMG_20160927_150111 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

We drove it around and I finally got a good feel for AP. Albeit, as mentioned, this was on the previous version at 7.1 release and on 1.0 hardware.

[​IMG]IMG_20161005_112058 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

It was an Insane and not Ludicrous Model S.

[​IMG]IMG_20160927_150744 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Everything was humming along until we got all gear indicators RED. (Suspected drivetrain failure.)

Fortunately there were a few things that I was able to do to limp home and have the loaner towed back to service and the SC was able to swap us back into a P85 loaner.

[​IMG]IMG_20161010_161505 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Not sure if the hints that were provided will work in all cases, probably not, but things to consider when all gears show RED on the car and you can't move.

1) Put it in park. And then put it in gear, (this fixed it once)

2) Pull yourself off the seat, open and close the door, car goes off, then restart.

Details of the incident are here in my blogpost.

Either way, kudos to the service center for being "on the ball" and getting us taken care of, as usual. Not sure how many members of this forum also drive a Model S, but thought to share these temporary fixes as possible things to try. The car is just too heavy to push.

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Glad to hear Tesla service was prompt on this one. There were tons of reports of drivetrain "whine" and Tesla replacing the drive units for quite a few cars. I hope they have it sorted out on newer cars.

3. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    I haven't heard a whine on any of the newer (and for that matter similar production year) loaners that I have driven.

This was the first actual case of the car being immobilized while I was in it.

First solution worked, then stopped working, the second one was after I spent about 15 minutes calling tesla support, emergency management in my city (to get a cop behind me, I was on Pacific Coast Highway and 2nd in Long Beach, a VERY BUSY road), and finally my local service center.

The second solution got the car moving again, but it was hair raising with all the fast moving cars coming up to me and being a sitting duck.