Dumb New Tesla Lawsuit over Model 3 Production

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by Tom Bodera, Nov 1, 2017.

More threads by Tom Bodera
  1. Tom Bodera

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TE3LA

Expand Collapse

Country
    Just opportunist A-hole attorneys looking for a hand-out. (As an attorney I'm allowed to say that ;-) )

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. mdfraz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Screw those money-grubbing A-hole attorneys. As a criminal defense attorney I get to say that too :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Watts4me

Expand Collapse

They have no case!
    (I can say that as a faithful Judge Judy fan.):D

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I feel for my wife as an attorney — this is who she gets lumped in with :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. c2c

c2c
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    “Rosen Law Firm, a global investor rights law firm, announces it has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of purchasers of the common shares of Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) from May 4, 2016 through October 6, 2017, inclusive (the “Class Period”). The lawsuit seeks to recover damages for Tesla investors under the federal securities laws.”

The stock went from about $200 to $345, may ‘16 to oct ‘17. So can they really sue because the stock’s value increase? I don’t get it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I do believe this is more about the Solar City end of the company than Model 3, but could be mistaken. Either way, it is only to benefit the filing attorney.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. James T

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    No, the lawsuit is definitely about the Model 3 launch. I am NOT a lawyer, but this is from their press release:

According to the lawsuit, defendants throughout the Class Period made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (1) contrary to defendants’ representations that Tesla was prepared for the launch of its Model 3 sedan, in reality, Tesla had severely inadequate inventory and was woefully unprepared to launch Model 3 sedan as anticipated; and (2) as a result, Tesla’s public statements were materially false and misleading at all relevant times. When the true details entered the market, the lawsuit claims that investors suffered damages.

Given that the relevant statute is:

No solicitation … shall be made by means of any proxy statement, form of proxy, notice of meeting or other communication, written or oral, containing any statement which, at the time and in the light of the circumstances under which it is made, is false or misleading with respect to any material fact, or which omits to state any material fact necessary in order to make the statements therein not false or misleading …

I think they will have a really hard time showing that Tesla knew "at the time and in the light of the circumstances" that the statements were materially false or misleading. Any reasonable investor or follower of Tesla should have known in the light of Elon-time circumstances that the Model 3 launch timing was not a guarantee.