EAP or cruise control not available

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car has 10K miles. EAP has worked flawlessly since delivery, including last night.

I got in my car this morning and noticed that it had trouble recognizing the lines. A few minutes later all lines went away and it just shows the car on the left hand side while driving.

No cruise control or EAP. I guess I’ll just add this to the other problems and take it in for service.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car has 10K miles. EAP has worked flawlessly since delivery, including last night.

I got in my car this morning and noticed that it had trouble recognizing the lines. A few minutes later all lines went away and it just shows the car on the left hand side while driving.

No cruise control or EAP. I guess I’ll just add this to the other problems and take it in for service.
That happened to me driving home last night, but corrected itself within 5 minutes thankfully.

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did it need a reset or it corrected while you were driving?

My car was parked for an hour, came back out and EAP was back to normal for the first 3 mins of the drive. Then I got “navigate on autopilot not available. Contact Tesla if the issue persists” and then a few seconds later got the red hands on the steering wheel. After that it wouldn’t work again.

Maybe it’s just a bug in the new software. I’m on 42.3.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me this morning around 4:35am local time. I have about 2,600 miles on the odometer and I'm on v42.4.

In my case there was very light rain which might have caused some problems. But yesterday it was pouring rain at the same time of day and EAP worked flawlessly (same firmware). Maybe misty rain is more troublesome than heavier rain, although visibility was much better today when EAP was having difficulty.

I won't drive again until this afternoon and it should be dry by then so I should know if it was weather-related in my case.

What were the weather conditions for you when it happened?

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me this morning around 4:35am local time. I have about 2,600 miles on the odometer and I'm on v42.4.

In my case there was very light rain which might have caused some problems. But yesterday it was pouring rain at the same time of day and EAP worked flawlessly (same firmware). Maybe misty rain is more troublesome than heavier rain, although visibility was much better today when EAP was having difficulty.

I won't drive again until this afternoon and it should be dry by then so I should know if it was weather-related in my case.

What were the weather conditions for you when it happened?
In the 10K miles I've driven the car, EAP has always worked no matter what the weather was. While it did have trouble in a downpour, it still tried to work. In this case, no cars show up, no blind spot, no cruise control, no EAP. Nothing.

Since there's at least three of us with the same problem, my guess would be a software problem.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My car was parked for an hour, came back out and EAP was back to normal for the first 3 mins of the drive. Then I got “navigate on autopilot not available. Contact Tesla if the issue persists” and then a few seconds later got the red hands on the steering wheel. After that it wouldn’t work again.

Any possibility some of your sensors are a bit covered in dirt/leaves or the like? Just some ideas. My backup camera keeps magically having a leaf or some other item land perfectly on it... and I don't notice until I'm trying to reverse!

Also, I do believe I've read that some people have had their cars do the whole "recalibrate" thing as if it was new after some firmware updates. Could that have happened?
I think you're on the right track though, give it the old two thumb + brake pedal salute reset and if it persists, give Tesla 45 minutes of your time on hold. ;)

Edit: removed question about rain, we posted at the same time and you answered that already. Made me look silly!! :p

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything in your post I checked when it stopped working the first time. Even if a sensor is blocked, you’ll get some form of EAP and at the very least cruise control.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Same with me this morning as Simpsonhomer. It was misty here in NJ - at first I noticed my auto highbeams went, autowipers weren't working and then EAP unavailable and I was getting no output of cars around me when looking at the driving window on the lefthand side of the screen. I'll see if it is fixed on my drive home today.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

It corrected while driving down the highway. Very odd -- cars disappeared, lane lines disappeared, and no errors on the screen aside from when I attempted to enable autopilot and it warned that it was unavailable.

synacker

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happened to me this morning as well. I noticed the auto-wipers didn't enable, but didn't think anything of it. Once I hit the interstate I realized EAP wouldnt enable and no other cars were being detected. My commute was about 45mins~ and never came back on. I am hoping it will be back to normal when I head home this afternoon.

Does seem weird that so many of us had this same issue today.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Makes you think there are some amount of software updates happening behind the scenes between the release numbered releases without us being aware....

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happened to me this morning as well. I noticed the auto-wipers didn't enable, but didn't think anything of it. Once I hit the interstate I realized EAP wouldnt enable and no other cars were being detected. My commute was about 45mins~ and never came back on. I am hoping it will be back to normal when I head home this afternoon.

Does seem weird that so many of us had this same issue today.
I had this same behavior when one of my autopilot cameras failed (but that was back on... 36.2 IIRC). But there was also an error message being displayed too about autopilot being unavailable. I forget the exact message.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This must be a national thing happening right now with select cars. My wife's 3 never had an issue and this morning on her commute to work she was unable to activate autopilot. She did update to the latest version of 9 with navigate on autopilot last night and it's the first time she's driven it since so maybe it needs to calibrate but this didn't happen on my 3 when I got the update a few days ago. Must be an outage happening right now.

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This must be a national thing happening right now with select cars. My wife's 3 never had an issue and this morning on her commute to work she was unable to activate autopilot. She did update to the latest version of 9 with navigate on autopilot last night and it's the first time she's driven it since so maybe it needs to calibrate but this didn't happen on my 3 when I got the update a few days ago. Must be an outage happening right now.
There shouldn’t be an outage. LTE or WiFi isn’t required for EAP to operate.

twm01

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me this morning; reboot didn't help. Also seeing the same thing reported on the Facebook group.

Country
Country
I have the exact same issue this morning. Here in NJ. Worked fine last night on the same roads. This morning I couldn't enable it on any road. I even stopped, got out and cleaned all cameras and radar areas with a towel and still nothing.

No TACC/EAP or Navigate on Autopilot. I'm running 2018.42.3. Auto-wipers also do not work.

If it's nationwide, I'm thinking it might be a "Phone Home" Tesla server issue. Just a guess. :)

Last edited:

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried to call customer service but the wait time just to talk to someone is greater than 30 mins. F’ that.

I hate having to get any kind of service by Tesla. While they do resolve the issues, by far they’re the worst manufacturer to initially get problems resolved. They still need to correct this and no they don’t get a pass just because they’re Tesla.

FF35

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess this is just something you have to accept when a car updates OTA. Regressions are possible. It’s like a marriage, you take the good with the bad.