EDIT: When installing Abstract Ocean LEDs, you may need to wait a while for all to work.

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by J.P. Stewart, May 5, 2018.

1. J.P. Stewart

Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 J.P. Stewart, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    EDIT: I let the car sit for 90 minutes locked and went to check again and now everything is working. So sorry to imply otherwise, but I just could not get that ONE light to work no matter what I tried. They look REALLY good.

upload_2018-5-4_22-40-58.png

Original:
    I purchased a full Abstract Ocean LED upgrade kit.

As everyone else has said, these are MUCH tighter than the OEM LEDs.

I got through NEARLY all of the LEDs. I watched several of the install videos and learned exactly what to do.

However, as soon as I connected one of the Abstract Ocean LEDs to the passenger foot well, it turned on briefly, and then off. Now none of the LEDs either the OEM ones or spare AO LEDs work on that circuit anymore.

I have reached out to AO support for help, but has anyone else hit this problem? I suppose ultimately, I might have to ask Tesla Service for help.

All 7 other LEDs were working. Though just as I was getting out, I saw the Drivers foot well go off.
    Do these lights have other rules beyond just opening the door?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Question for you as I almost pulled the trigger and didn’t after installing the AO “T” puddle lights and loving them.

Do you feel like those lights in the foot wells are too bright? It’s just intended to be a mood light so the dim light seems to make sense to me.

3. Charlie W

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I know you've been talking about the foot (well) lights (a.k.a. "Mood Lights") for the driver & front seat passenger (and @J.P. Stewart they look really nice!), but are there foot lights for back seat passengers -- i.e., lights underneath the front seats? And if those lights have NOT been provided, is the wiring there where after market lights (such as from Abstract Ocean) can be plugged in? A long while back, I thought I saw someone saying that all Model S & X have plugs for these lights, but you have to have purchased the Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) to have these lights installed. Thanks (and @SoFlaModel3 I've always appreciated your posts.)

~Charlie

• Like Like x 1
  4. amoney805

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    @J.P. Stewart did you also replace the door pocket lights to match? On a side note I installed the "T" logo puddle lights and they emit a noticeable hum. Still waiting on a response from abstract ocean to see if I can exchange them for a new set.

5. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have the 4 pack of AO BLUE LED’s. No car yet but will use them in the footwells, center console and glovebox. I thought they would easier on the eyes inside than the bright white. Also have 2 AO bright white for the trunk and the 3 bar puddles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm considering those blue interior LEDs as well. Any chance you can post a pic after you install them? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I could be wrong, but think the center console/glovebox/door pockets use a different light, not the same as the replacements for the footwells.

8. Sandy

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Sure. As soon as they send me a car! DS said First 2 weeks of June. Pics here from an S on AO’s website:

https://www.abstractocean.com/ultra-bright-blue-led-lights/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sandy

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The door pockets for sure are not the same. Videos show the door pocket lights emitting from a slit in the plastic. The light source is behind the slit.
    The blue LED lights I received are identical to the bright white LED ones. Only difference appears to be the blue lens. There are posts of people changing the glovebox for the bright white LED so hopefully the blue works there. The center console appears to have 2 lights with the rear one looking very difficult to change as has been mentioned online. You can see the console lights here starting at 1:20:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
  11. J.P. Stewart

Expand Collapse

Country
    I don't think they are. I LIKE the foot well brighter. But its just a preference thing. Its 2-3 times brighter with the AO lights.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. J.P. Stewart

Expand Collapse

Country
    I did. I bought the full replacement kit (8 LEDs) and replaced the trunk, all 4 doors, and both foot wells.

I love how much brighter they are. Each location is 2-3x brighter than the OEM versions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EVTuning

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    All of them are the same. All 4 doors, front footwells, glove box, center console and trunk. They're also the same as Model S and X.

The center console one is almost impossible to get out because of the angle and type of tool you'd need to remove it.

14. EVTuning

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    You may notice when you do the doors that the factory harness is very tight. Especially on the drivers side. I am in the process of making some short plug and play extension harnesses to make it easier to install any of the popular LED Upgrade lights. Our own version of the White and Red LED's has a small pigtail built into it with a factory connector to make installation a bit easier. I also carry the AO White, Red, Blue and Projector LED's so you can mix and match any of them together.

The Model 3 doesn't have traditional fuses. It's constantly checking the circuit for voltage and amperage changes. So best bet is for the car to be powered off from the center screen when changing the lights. This way it won't be checking the circuit for fluctuations. However if you do it with the car on/awake then most likely one of them will appear to go dead but once the car does a power cycle or sleeps it should come back and start working again. I have run into this several times when doing installs for customers. First instinct was to panic but then found out what the cause was.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Schmoli

Expand Collapse

Country
    Thanks for the info on this thread, one of my lights is out now(driver's side) but I won't freak out just yet. They all worked at first though! I swapped it while car was on so hopefully it'll come back.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. theloneranger08

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #16 theloneranger08, May 24, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    Has anyone had trouble getting the wires out of the front puddle lights? I ordered the T logo ones from abstract ocean but I'm having trouble installing them. In the installation video, the wire is much longer than mine. Mine only goes out a couple millimeters so it's difficult to get the wire out. Any suggestions?

17. Schmoli

Expand Collapse

Country
    Couple thoughts here (they are all the same size so maybe it shouldn't matter), but you are trying to put the "T" puddle lights in your footwell (inside the car, not in the door)? I'm curious how that'll look! That said, I didn't have much room when I popped mine out, but definitely more than a few millimeters, I went and got a tiny screwdriver and was able to get it to escape, but my guess is you got (un)lucky and when they wired your car they didn't leave much spare.

Anyway to add other stuff to this thread, I have a 164XX car and am having issues with the virtual fuses, but Abstract Ocean is awesome and we are working on testing out some solution, I gotta say I appreciate that company and their dedication.

18. theloneranger08

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Oops just edited my post. I meant to say puddle lights. Yeah they didn't give me much room to work with. I even tried using my flathead to pry it off at the same time as pressing the tab but it won't come out. :/

When I tried the other side I couldn't get off either (even less wire to work with). In the process, I accidentally opened my door too much and it slightly tapped a glass side table we have in the garage. The knick is very small (less than a millimeter) and most peoole wouldn't notice but I'm pretty OCD about stuff like this. I bought some touchup paint from Dr. Color Chip so I'm hoping it will make it invisible.

Oh wow thanks for the heads up. My VIN is 16XXX so I imagine I'd have the same issue. Let me know how that goes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Schmoli

Expand Collapse

Country
    Well bummer! My puddle lights were much easier, if you manage to get yours off what I think someone may make is wire extenders with male and female ends so you'd have some slack to work with. I think I've seen a post somewhere about those.

20. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have to imagine all of the cars have the same wire lengths as they're probably machine cut before being installed. I wonder if the wire is caught on something inside the door. Now I'm not telling you to pull hard (definitely not telling you that), but have you tried to wiggle it around and see if any slack is there.

Mine had just a little more left than what you see in this picture, so I held on tight after releasing the OEM light from the clip.

IMG_1596.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1