Ego Power Plus Tools

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw a post about an electric snowblower in another thread but didn’t want to hikack it...been meaning to post/ask about this Ego brand of electric, battery operated equipment for some time. I just had to drain my snowblower tank and carb because it wouldn’t start, run and buy more premium gas in a separate container (had to buy that too) and have basically had enough of having gas (and the gas smell) in my garage...period. I’ve been looking at completely replacing my mower, string trimmer, blower and snowblower with this Ego brand. Only my current mower and snowblower are gas powered, but the blower is corded which is inconvenient. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? The appeal of having two of their stronger batteries and being able to run all my equipment is high. I read posts and seen YouTube videos of people mowing, pulling the battery and using it again in another product, then doing it again, so it seems to be a substantial charge and/or not too demanding. Also I would likely free up garage space as I have a hefty snowblower (SnowTek 24E, Arians low end Home Depot brand), and my mower can’t possibly fold up like the ones from Ego (Toro of some kind...not important which I suppose, as long as it keeps working!)

Here’s a link:
https://egopowerplus.com/products

I plan to start next spring with a mower, string trimmer/edger combo and blower, then buy the snowblower later next year in prep for the following winter. They do seem a bit pricey to me. Just curious if any have products from this brand and have any insight they can share. Pros/cons, recommend or run away? Thanks all! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Dangermouse

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw a post about an electric snowblower in another thread but didn’t want to hikack it...been meaning to post/ask about this Ego brand of electric, battery operated equipment for some time. I just had to drain my snowblower tank and carb because it wouldn’t start, run and buy more premium gas in a separate container (had to buy that too) and have basically had enough of having gas (and the gas smell) in my garage...period. I’ve been looking at completely replacing my mower, string trimmer, blower and snowblower with this Ego brand. Only my current mower and snowblower are gas powered, but the blower is corded which is inconvenient. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? The appeal of having two of their stronger batteries and being able to run all my equipment is high. I read posts and seen YouTube videos of people mowing, pulling the battery and using it again in another product, then doing it again, so it seems to be a substantial charge and/or not too demanding. Also I would likely free up garage space as I have a hefty snowblower (SnowTek 24E, Arians low end Home Depot brand), and my mower can’t possibly fold up like the ones from Ego (Toro of some kind...not important which I suppose, as long as it keeps working!)

Here’s a link:

I plan to start next spring with a mower, string trimmer/edger combo and blower, then buy the snowblower later next year in prep for the following winter. They do seem a bit pricey to me. Just curious if any have products from this brand and have any insight they can share. Pros/cons, recommend or run away? Thanks all! Hope you’re having a great weekend!
I have the self propelled mower and the leaf blower, love them both. Light years ahead of my old battery items and gas mower. No info on the snowblower...we’re in NC, so that purchase would get a raised eyebrow for sure.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have anything from Ego, but I have managed to replace all my gas-powered appliances with electric and I couldn't be more happy.
It helps that I am in a somewhat urban area property that is not very large. All of yard, driveway, and sidewalk is reachable with a 50ft cord from two outlets front and back.

Just this summer I sold off my gas lawnmowers, always a pain up keeping not to mention going to buy gas. I replaced with a Worx 56V mower that was $200 on Amazon and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. Just like autopilot, mowing the lawn is now less than half the effort. Battery is more ideal for mower because of less need for high torque not to mention the potential to slice a power cord.

I have used 120v electric leaf blowers for years, not just quieter but also more powerful than gas, and super cheap. I use a plastic impeller blower for blowing, and metal impeller blower for sucking and mulching.

I have a Toro 1800 snowblower and it has served me well for 9 seasons, even tackling snow three times its height. Again no maintenance, just plug and go. It's very light and easy to pick up and carry around. Like a lawnmower in tall grass, sometimes it is necessary to do rows a few inches at a time if it is too heavy. Because of the torque required for heavy wet snow, I'm not sure a battery snow blower is a great idea unless you only have light dry snow. I believe @TrevP has a battery powered snowblower, hopefully he can give you feedback.

Country
Country
Consumer reports consistently ranks Ego products as the top battery electric products that I’ve looked up. I bought the backpack styled leaf blower and love it. Only downside is the duration that it lasts which you can partially make up for by having 2 or 3 compatible sized batteries. I only have the 1 battery that came with it so I have to work in shifts which is fine. I plan to buy the large Ego push mower in the spring. The Ego backpack style blower was ranked as the number 2 blower which included gas powered backpack styled blowers.

Johnm6875

Country
Country

Here’s a link:

I'm very happy with the 56V 21" EGO push mower I've had for about 9 months. My lawn is small, approximately 1000 sq. ft. Depending on the season, the battery will last two or three "cuttings" before I recharge. I tried a Makita 36V but had to return it because it lacked power, even at 17". Interesting tidbit, power increases automatically in thick grass that would have stalled my old gas mower.

Shogun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased the ego snow blower right before winter this year. Unfortunately, the big snow I have been expecting has not materialized yet. For the couple times I used it, it worked well in both light and heavy snow. I would recommend the 7.5Ah model as the heavy snow does cause it to work much harder.
I have a small driveway and live on a corner lot with sidewalks on three sides of the house. No issues with the battery running out so far. I love the ease of use, the lack of maintenance, quick storage, how quiet it is, and most of all, the lack of gas smell in my garage.
As long as you keep your expectations in check, this may be a purchase for you. It's not going to perform like the big dog machines with all sorts or levers, bells and whistles but it does a great job for what I need it to do. I justified the price by not having to gas it up or take the time to do all the maintenance like the other machines require. Depending on use, you may need to replace the scraper bar after every season or two and that will take you about 10 mins.
On a side note, the wife took it out on her own and plowed a path to the mailbox. It's that easy to use.

Other Ego things I own:
Self-Propelled Mower- Love it, but I never use the self propelled feature as it's pretty light to push around
530 CMF Blower - Love it
String Trimmer - Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Also, Ego and Home Depot (online) sell products without the batteries too. If you have a good core of batteries already, it will save you money by just buying the equipment vs. the full kit. For example, if you buy the snow blower kit, you shouldn't need the mower battery, etc as they are interchangeable. Just be careful using a larger battery on hand held stuff. It throws off the balance of the equipment and it's tough on your wrists. (A strap may help)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased the ego snow blower right before winter this year. Unfortunately, the big snow I have been expecting has not materialized yet.
That's how you know that your snow blower purchase was a success!

And you can predict a hard winter is forthcoming whenever your snow blower breaks.

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the San Francisco bay area I don't have a need for a snow blower but I do have an EGO mower and leaf blower and I am a huge EGO fan, I love their products.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you all for your input/feedback! I appreciate it! Sounds like I can move forward with confidence on these items, that makes me happy more than lawn equipment really should. :p

And LOL @garsh, I bought my snowblower last year after the first snow of the season was 7”, and that was after a previously nasty season the year before. “Never again!” I told myself (regarding shoveling). So of COURSE, after I bought the snowblower we never even got enough to warrant getting it out! It was THE deterrent!! This year, BIG snow storm to kick off the season right (5” rough guess) and that damn snowblower wouldn’t start!!! Now that I spent last Friday morning fixing it....just watch, the season will be mild!!!!
Deterrent II - The Thawing!!!

Edit: ok ok, I opened myself up for a mocking for the “big snowstorm” comment and it only being about 5”...I fully accept the scoffing I’m about to endure from those in harsher climates!!!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Toro 1800 snowblower and it has served me well for 9 seasons, even tackling snow three times its height. Again no maintenance, just plug and go. It's very light and easy to pick up and carry around.
Just pulled the trigger on a Toro 1500 (little brother to the 1800) a few minutes ago, after noticing that it was on sale today. There were a couple of other snow blowers that were available at an even deeper discount, but in the end, the Toro's convenience features and significantly lighter weight won me over. The 1500 will join our trusty Black & Decker corded lawn mower, which has served us well since we bought our house nearly eight years ago.

My only concern with the 1500 was that the motor is only rated at 12 amps, but after watching a few videos of it in action on YouTube, I feel confident that it will be sufficient for our use case (small walkway, driveway, and sidewalk).

In some ways, the snowblower is just an insurance policy for us. We live in a school zone, so if it snows just prior to a school day, the city will actually take care of the sidewalks for us (although sometimes their Bobcats also take out our hedges...). Additionally, we share a driveway with a neighbor who has heart problems and is unable to shovel (or push around a heavy, gas-guzzling snowblower) for very long, so in recent years, we've tried splitting the cost of hiring a snow-removal service to help us out, which is nice... when they actually show up.

Alas, neither of the services we've used have been anything approaching timely or reliable*, so there have been quite a few instances where I've been out shoveling frantically at 7am so that we're actually able to get everyone out of the house on time. NO MORE! -- we've got a Toro! (I added a 100-foot extension cord too, so we could take care of the neighbors as well, if needed.)

* I will say, though: our first snow-removal contractor was so unreliable that, 90% of the time, he forgot to bill us for the times he did show up -- whoops!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My only concern with the 1500 was that the motor is only rated at 12 amps, but after watching a few videos of it in action on YouTube, I feel confident that it will be sufficient for our use case (small walkway, driveway, and sidewalk).
The small motor will be fine. Just like a lawn mower going through tall grass, use your ears to tell it is working harder and move slower, or take smaller cuts at a fraction of the full width.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m resurrecting this thread as I finally made the call and got all the electric equipment I was thinking about when I started it. Loving it so far. I ended up getting a mower, snow blower, string trimmer, edger and blower along with two 7.5Ah batteries and the rapid charger. (More on this in a bit).*
75924E4D-F3FB-49B4-BA3A-4C33769D6CD9.jpeg
I was able to find a good home for all my previous equipment save the snow blower, which I’ll list for sale most likely as it’s been lightly used and will be a great value for someone. Once that thing is gone we’ll officially have zero gas in the house/garage. I’m very excited about that! Solar is another dream of mine but with our low energy cost (thankfully over 50% comes from renewables in Iowa <—last I checked) and costs of solar being out of my price range, it’ll have to remain a dream for now. Maybe one day, but we’re considering moving anyway so holding off on solar is just practical. Anyway, getting this equipment has me very excited :)

Today is the first day I mowed my entire yard with the Ego Power+ mower. I’ve had it now for a little over a week and did a small portion of the front yard to test it right away but today was a GREAT test for it. It’s poured rain the past two days, the ground is a bit squishy still, the grass is quite tall as I’d just applied Step 1 (Scott’s 4 step program) prior to the rainy days. So a real good Midwest mowing test right off the bat for this stuff! I used the string trimmer first and went all around the house and against the fences. Used the blower to clean it off and put it away. Then switched out the trimmer attchement for the edger (the “Power Head” has a quick detach feature) and edged the driveway, walkway, sidewalks and the back patio/landing. Next came the actual mowing, same battery, and used the self propell feature more and more as I got further in as I was getting winded from pushing. It was a good work out, but I’m out of shape, so that added feature was clutch. So I got all done mowing, folded up the mower and used the blower to clean it off and then put it away. Then cleaned all the same areas listed above and then some with the blower; everywhere grass had gotten! All with the same 1 battery! They don’t have a % reader themselves so I put it on the charger to see remaining SOC. 25% (or under, but not yellow yet) not bad at all! For the record I have .26 acres. Not massive by any means, but a modest (and typical for this area) sized yard.
7307D723-A9AA-4692-AA07-CCEC035B0559.jpeg
A quick picture of the results. A nice, clean front yard (my favorite kind!)
0BF1169F-DC60-4652-9744-D0077A7AA7AD.jpeg

* I found that Ego has a horrible website/system set up where everything redirects you to Home Depot. Nothing wrong with that, but with so many different models and kits that have batteries and chargers already, it’s very difficult to get the best deal and not end up with extra items that aren’t being used (various battery sizes, multiple chargers, etc.) For that reason, I did a ton of “shopping cart” configurations and did the math/cost for all of them. I ended up finding a price on all items that was a good $300 less than the next closest when buying everything!! I got the snow blower with the two 7.5Ah batteries and rapid charger. Everything else I bought without a battery or charger (avoiding most of the kits). For the Power Head, I discovered that buying the power head/edger kit and buying the string trimmer separately was the cheapest, making sure it was the quick detach model (they have some that aren’t).

Alright. I’ve rambled a bit here so I’ll wrap up by adding the model numbers I got so anyone that wants can google them for more info.

Mower: LM2020SP (I got this model for the steel deck and self-propell options)
Snow Blower: SNT2103 (they only have the one. Got the kit with two of their biggest batteries as the snow blower can use both at the same time)
Power Head/Edger combo: ME0800
String trimmer attachment: STA1500
(Quick detach, cheapest “kit” sans battery)
Blower: LB5800 (their strongest hand held blower. MOAR POWAH!!!)

Hope you all have a great weekend!:cool:

Love

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Here’s a link:

I am planning to switch to Ego brand also...first will be a leaf blower. A friend has one and it works great.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Shogun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check out this new(ish) Ego Power+ awesomeness. It’s a power inverter for your batteries! I ordered one today using there promo code, saved $25 and has free shipping. This might never come in handy...true...but it also could be invaluable during a power outage or camping trip. :)
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and finally shipped as HD was just getting them in. I think it will come in very handy during the occasional camping trip and power outage. Looking forward to seeing what It can power around the house.

Bigriver

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
So everyone loves their Ego mower, but I need a few specifics about what you love to figure out if it will work for me. I have about 1/2 acre and the grass is actually way too plush and thick — which has its downside. I like to mulch the grass (and leaves right now) and hate to plod along behind a slow mower - give me some speed.

So is it fast enough? Can it handle thick grass? What battery size do I need? Is it easy to clean? Anything special needed with the blade relative to a gas mower?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So is it fast enough?
You can push it as fast as you like.
Can it handle thick grass?
If you don't let it get too long, yes
What battery size do I need?
You probably want the big one. Or maybe just two smaller ones.
Is it easy to clean? Anything special needed with the blade relative to a gas mower?
I don't believe there's anything special, unless you get a plastic deck version, and you're used to steel decks.