1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Elon Musk Rolling Stone Article

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by Quicksilver, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
More threads by Quicksilver
  1. Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dallas, Texas
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Great read. Saved to my all time Elon favorite articles. Here’s a link from Rolling Stone with a few Q/A that didn’t make it into the article. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-mars-twitter-twitter-dreams-morality-w512131

I must admit. I have a bro-crush on Elon and this article just made him all that much more human. He has a methodical, scientific way about his management style but he creates with a core set of guiding principles: don’t assume that just because something was done that way before that that way is the best way, will this improve the product or improve humanity?, make it beautiful...

In my intro post, I already said that I was an Elon Fanboy. See post here. https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/brokedoc-just-became-a-little-more-broke.3987/ I’ve heard us called many things from Musk-rats to Muskovites but I like Musketeer. This biopic from Rolling Stone is a very valuable insight into the inner workings of Elon and give me much more appreciation for his genius. It tells us the emotional torment that he was going through as he did the Model 3 reveal on 3/31/16 when all of us were so giddy to see the alpha versions of the Model 3 with the basic specs. It also tells us that Amber was likely a source of emotional creativity for the Model 3 that we must all thank her for.

It truly pains me to hear about his need to always have a woman in his life. He has already found 2 excellent women in his first 2 wives whom he seems to continue a very healthy relationship with. The story doesn’t tell us about if he still has contact with Amber but his need to constantly be with someone can result in rebound relationships that may do more harm than good because you rush into a suboptimal relationship just for the sake of having a warm body next to you. Thankfully he has surrounded him with close confidantes that can protect him to some degree.

I hate to bring it up because it seems so cliche but the interesting backstory of Elon’s father is all that much more similar to Howard Stark/Tony Stark. The main differences being that Elon did not inherit his empire from his father and that Elon is real. Elon’s intelligence and empathy at a young age taught him many things about human nature and also solidified his resolve to do good for the world instead of doing good just for himself.

A very interesting quote slipped into the story about how Elon wishes Tesla were private confirms his social entrepreneur mentality. He will be a similar CEO to Jeff Bezos and is loyalty is to improving the world and NOT to the shareholders. Just as Amazon has NEVER posted a significant profit because Bezos reinvests all proceeds back into expanding the company, I don’t expect that Tesla will ever turn a significant profit. The stock price may grow and the market cap will expand with future expansion and fundraising but Elon’s focus is to save humanity and the world.

For this, I would be honored to be his friend and happy to own a Tesla.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Reykjavík
    Country
    This article was so endearing. Makes you want to run up to him and give him a big hug. Of course, I'm sure he has a problem with people doing that already ;)

Re, relationships: IMHO, he should spend out less time hanging out with supermodels and more time at academic conferences. It's not that models can't be intelligent - Hedy Lamarr was considered one of the most beautiful women of her age, and she invented radio frequency hopping, for example. But in general, you're looking at someone who has decided that their interests are self-beautification, rather than science and engineering.

Re, his father: I swear, with a backstory like that, he definitely needs a volcanic lair now. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    @Brokedoc ... little update since you asked the question... sorry @KarenRei , the new Hedi Lamar may have to wait... ;)

6. Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dallas, Texas
    "...resolve to do good for the world instead of doing good just for himself."

This is why I believe in Tesla, SpaceX, etc...it's the core belief of "service above self" that makes me want to invest in Elon's mission. We see so many private enterprises that focus purely on the bottom line (and at times, greed) and do not contribute to the "greater good" ... it is great to have someone who really sees beyond the bottom line. I also appreciate the tough situations he experienced growing up - life lessons can teach us and mold us in good and bad ways. I am glad Elon turns out to be on the good side instead of becoming his dad.

On the picture with Amber...she does not look to be too happy...she looks bored

• Like Like x 2
  7. ABMau3r

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cornwall on Hudson
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Looks like Elon's reading a book ... she's probably not used to her 'date' doing that instead of paying afternoon to her... thus the look.