1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Enhanced Autopilot or Premium Interior?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DC_3, Sep 15, 2017.

More threads by DC_3
  1. DC_3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Washington, DC
    Country
    What would you choose if you had to select one over the other?

I only have the budget for one and am interested in reading others experiences/ideas. I know I can always upgrade the EAP later, but am wondering if the premium upgrade is worth 5k.

For those who already have teslas with AP, how often do you use it?

2. Frank99

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country
    That's a tough choice.

EAP is non-negotiable for me - I spend an hour and a half every day in stop-n-go traffic. Being able to supervise the car while it deals with brake and accelerator will vastly improve my stress levels. Summon, auto-park, etc seem like they'll be nice, but not worth a whole lot to me.

PUP is non-negotiable for me. My wife and I are 8 inches apart in height, so the automatic seats with driver profiles is a requirement. Glass roof is desireable, but not enough to pay $5K for. The pleather seats are undesirable (cloth is so much less painful when getting in during a Phoenix summer), but seem to be required to get automatic seats. Heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel/whatever are useless to me here in Phoenix. Enhanced sound is...meh. These days my listening is done at background levels where it won't make a difference, though once in a while it would be nice to crank it up and get some good vibrations going through my gut.

Good luck making a decision.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Premium upgrade on the Model 3 gets you lots of stuff so it's not that bad of a deal. Of course, we have no idea what the base interior looks like so it's hard to judge at the moment.

For me the only valuable component of the premium package on the Model S is the heated steering wheel and back seats, something that was a separate item of $1500 but now costs $6600 CAD so that's not as good a deal. It's all relative I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gunn

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @DC_3 I had this exact choice to make when they released the prices, do we go with LR, PUP or the EAP and here are my thoughts and thus conclusion.

I do not do an excessive amount of driving, my weekly millage is under 200 so the LR (although desirable) is not essential.

The PUP has some of the features I wanted (wish it wasn't bundled all on one) like the all glass roof (I'm in California), the upgraded sound (the entire family love their music), power adjustable seats (I was going to have profiles for entry/exit as we are going to have a child seat in the back and I'm 6"2). Just those alone would make the journeys more relaxing so PUP is in.

The EAP is a software unlocked feature which can be enabled at any time (afaik) so could be done later (at more cost!). Being an engineer I always look at getting the hardware in first and then the software can be enabled later. Without the hardware, the software would not work so for me EAP is out.

Hence I'll be getting a standard range, PUP with no EAP.

Just to add in, the other decisions I faced was "Could I justify spending $35K on a car when XYZ is available and will still do the 200 miles per week?" It simply comes down to choice, the new Leaf is 150miles and the Bolt is 238, but to me they are not pleasing to the eye and have quirks that I could not live with (To name a few things, the Bolt has the rear indicators on the bumper and the Leaf's steering wheel looks like a video game controller - button bashing!?!).

So my Model 3 is $42k (+$1k for paint and +$1K for delivery)

• Like Like x 2
  5. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Premium Upgrades in a heartbeat.

It can’t be added after like EAP.

In fact that’s what I’m doing ... waiting on EAP...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. FunkyJunk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Virginia
    Country
    I'm doing the same - PUP first, EAP later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DC_3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Washington, DC
    Country
    Thanks all! Super helpful to have the all the additional perspectives. I'm looking at a April- June timeline for a standard range vehicle so hopefully I'll be able to see a standard interior before having to make a final call.

8. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    I think almost anyone would be happy with just the $35,000 version, and no EAP or PUP. Especially as EAP could come later. Consider a base model as an option, too.

I mean, c'mon: unless you're driving an S or X you're somehow managing without EAP right now, right?

And a more loaded Model 3 can always be your NEXT car, too.

I keep hoping that after some period of time the EAP price will come down, or that there will be a special offer on it to existing owners. But maybe not for at least a year or so, until production volumes and margins are performing well. Wishful thinking perhaps.

For the record, personally I'll get EAP (mostly for stop and go California traffic) and PUP, and I feel like the indulgence isn't necessarily those, it's the LR. Because what you get with the LR is an occasional convenience (sometimes avoiding a charging stop, but only a couple of road trips a year in reality for me) and better performance (and 10% better performance seems like a novelty thing for routine day-to-day driving).

I think thinking about not getting LR is especially hard for folks who haven't had an electric car yet, or who routinely drive longer distances, or who live in very cold climates. But for most of us who haven't driven a BEV and don't take long trips very often, we want LR for non-objective reasons that we'd forget about after a while if we did not get LR. Everybody talks about the workaround for EAP ("you can buy it later") but they forget about the workaround for LR ("charge a few extra times for 30 minutes"). Would you rather have $9000, or have to stop at a SuperCharger some number of extra times a year? Some of you live in very cold climes, have to drive a lot for work, or take lots of trips. For the rest of us, why?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Derik

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Inland Empire, California
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    For me EAP is the way to go since I sit in an about 2 to 3 hours of traffic a day. Having something that can follow traffic conditions down to the stop and go will save my sanity a little bit.

I'd get the PUP just because I spend so much time in the car it seems like it'll be worth it. Although if I can see the standard interior it might be fine without the PUP.

In the end, it is up to how you drive and what you are looking for in your next car. < 200 miles a week I think the base without either is going to be fantastic.

10. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    That makes (at least) three of us!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. green1

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    AZ
    Country
    Dude, I'm like you too. I'm in Phoenix, so heated seat/steering wheel is pretty useless to me. In fact, I want "cooled seats/steering wheels". And the glass roof, is something I definitely don't want in Phx. Power seats, I don't need. Fog lights, I don't need (again, cos Phx). Premium sound, is a nice to have, but I'm not an audiophile, so I'm sure "basic sounding speakers" would be pretty sufficient for me.
    So by process of elimination, the only thing that seems useful to me, in the PUP (here in Phoenix), is the center console thingy. But I've heard you can get an aftermarket one, so at this point, the PUP is looking like a non-option to me. Unless actual review videos come out showing mind-blowing differences

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Having glass above your head is nice. I’m in Florida — same sun. The glass does not let heat in. I recommend you take a look at Model S to get a feel for how the car handles the sun.

As for cooled seats we won’t get it, but fortunately you can pre-cool the car from the app so you’ll never get into a hot car even if it’s 100 degrees out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Like @Frank99 and @Derik I normally am sitting in stop and go traffic between 2-3 hours a day (29 miles RT), so EAP is probably second only to being able to 'refuel' overnight at home (gas is expensive here and hydro electricity is cheap).

And because I am spending that amount of time in my car I want the extras that PUP has. Spending this amount on a car, I don't want to regret not having something included that I want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Just to be sure we're clear, where do you live again?... ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Justmurr

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    PA
    Country
    i do not like how much sense this makes. Thanks John, he says sarcastically...
    This will be my first BEV and I could probably make the SR work just fine (80mi commute round trip)...so this sensible line of thinking you have is not helping my decision to blow the budget and get the LR. These are the dangers of reading these forums somertimes... people making great points that contradict my current thoughts about what I'm going to do.
    I do still have at least these 3 things in my favor (for getting LR):
    • I have cold winters here.
    • I know that even though we don't use my current car for our occasional trips, once we have the 3...I will be sure to want to use it.
    • I can get it sooner via a first production version.

• Like Like x 2
  16. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    More than you know.

I bought my Leaf because it was perfect for my commute. But driving an EV - even a funny-looking slow one like a Leaf - is so much nicer than driving a combustion vehicle. I end up trying to use the Leaf for every trip I can. I'll definitely be getting my 3 with the long range battery, so that I can use it for even more trips.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kmngq

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Francisco, CA
    Country
    Holy crap... almost 3 hours for 29 miles??? That's like slower than a marathon runner. That's crazy.
    My commute is 35 miles one way at about 1 hour and I think that's bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    My office is 4 miles from my house, and it's 45 min drive each way by car, 60-90 minutes each way by public transportation. Careful what you complain about :)

19. Model34mePlease

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Monterey, CA
    Country
    This thread puts Los Angeles traffic in perspective. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Gabzqc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Helsinki, Finland
    Country
    Will get PUP because it cannot be added later. Also only time I would "need" EAP is when driving to UK from Finland to see family... maybe once a year.... so im wondering if they will offer week long packages to enable Autopilot just for trips...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1