Enhanced Autopilot Trial

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TMC is reporting this as news, though I don't see a date of publication on the Tesla site:
Enhanced Autopilot Trial

[Moderator: please move thread to appropriate forum, if needed.]

From TMC:

Enhanced Autopilot features will automatically be downloaded to cars after they receive software update 2018.28.1 or later. Owners will receive an in-car notification that the trial has started, then will be prompted with the option to “Enable” Autopilot features. Owners can activate or disable certain Autopilot features at any point during the trial.

From tesla.com:

The Enhanced Autopilot trial provides you with the opportunity to experience our latest driver assistance features for 14 days, at no cost. This includes access to Autosteer, Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Auto Lane Change, Summon and Autopark.
By opting into the trial, you’ll be able to activate (or disable) the full suite of Enhanced Autopilot functionality from your car’s touchscreen.
You will have the option to purchase permanent Autopilot functionality via the car’s touchscreen or through your Tesla Account at any time during or after the trial.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should make a lot of money off of this!

96s46p

Country
Country
Anybody who gets this let us know if you can dismiss it and access it again from autopilot settings screen.

firelegend

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want the trial so bad though! I just want to show all my friends summon lol.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone gotten this yet? I got 28.1 a week ago and haven't seen this yet

psyrob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
same here, got 28.1 a week ago and no trial of autopilot yet

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got 28.5 on Saturday still no news about the trial.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone heard anything this week about an EAP trial?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just received the trial message this morning on my Model 3 after a failed updated last night. I'm waiting to start the trial until I need to drive the car.

This is going to be difficult to not upgrade to the EAP feature after trying it out. :)

IMG_0364.jpg

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Started my 14-day EAP trial this morning... didn't have much option really.

Screen pop-up was there when I opened up the car this morning and stated it is included with your recent software update (likely to gather tons of extra user/vehicle data).

If you clicked the "not now" option it said you would be ending your trial early and car would need to be powered down/restarted, and who's got time for that..... so I'm in trial now. ;)

Not sure if it's really a one chance offer, but either way I don't have an extra $6k laying around to throw at it even IF I was interested. Will prob go play with summon at lunch though haha.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just received the trial message this morning on my Model 3 after a failed updated last night. I'm waiting to start the trial until I need to drive the car.

This is going to be difficult to not upgrade to the EAP feature after trying it out. :)

View attachment 13568
Nice. Which firmware version are you on?

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got the trial this morning. Used it on my morning commute. Given the experience on today's drive in to work I'm glad I saved $5k by not getting it.

Within 5 minutes of enabling autosteer my car panicked because the car ahead of me slowed. Autosteer attempted to change lanes to the left suddenly even though there was a car in my blindspot to the left. I knew the car was there due to my own situational awareness. I also knew the car ahead of me was slowing for someone ahead of him turning off the main road and there was no danger of collision. Instead of autopilot protecting me I had to protect myself from autopilot! I continued to use it for the remainder of the commute but the experience was not relaxing at all. I was on edge the whole time it was engaged. It will have to improve tremendously before I consider laying out $6k for the option.

It also confirms my original supposition that $5k was a lot of money to pay for something I had never tested.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Received update 2018.32.2 3817fdd this morning, and a notification along with it that the 14-day autopilot trial is enabled.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also knew the car ahead of me was slowing for someone ahead of him turning off the main road and there was no danger of collision.
it should not be used on roads where you can turn - only divided freeways.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it should not be used on roads where you can turn - only divided freeways.
Where is that stated?

Edit: Nevermind. I see it's in the manual in the autosteer section. All the more reason the option is not worth $5k to me.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Where is that stated?
in the manual, in the disclaimer you clicked accepting responsibility for it's use, on tesla's autopilot page for the few
tesla said:
Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
in the manual, in the disclaimer you clicked accepting responsibility for it's use, on tesla's autopilot page for the few
Yep, I see it. I also recall now that this requirement to be "fully attentive" is what convinced me to remove EAP from my configuration. If I'm required to be "fully attentive" I'll just drove the car myself and pocket the $5k.

Fishn4life

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Received my 14 day trial this morning. Drove 70 miles on freeway and no real difference. I'll be trying out the Summon soon but need more time to evaluate the value. I'm guessing this is not that big of deal now but over the next year or two it will add enhancements that make it more attractive.