1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

EU Plant in France ???

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by Van Shrider, Apr 6, 2016.

More threads by Van Shrider
  1. Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
    City & State/Province:
    Ohio USA
    I'm in the North America , but know that some of you were worrying about timing for other countries.
    The EU deliveries would improve dramatically if there was a plant built in Europe. At the moment, it appears that France has thrown their hat in the ring ....we have an ideal spot for you in Fessenheim.

France wants Tesla to build a factory at an old nuclear plant
    Energy minister says she will meet with Tesla management in the coming days to discuss Fessenheim proposal
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11376348/france-tesla-factory-fessenheim-nuclear-plant

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andreas Stephens

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sydney Australia
    That almost sounds biblical: "Swords to Plowshares..."

3. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I think I saw a headline in the last few days that Tesla has declined the French offer. It wasn't directly from E.Musk or TeslaMotors, so it could be speculation.
    I have no basis for having any sort of opinion on how a manufacturer decides to do business, but my gut feeling is with Tesla being new (relative) and small (relative) they should keep things centralized and close to home.

4. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Musk has stated that Tesla wants to open a factory in Europe.

We have no details on timeline, or what locations they might consider. It sounds like they'll wait until the current factory is close to capacity.

5. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    France or the Netherlands would be ideal given their large ports. Tesla already has an "assembly" plant in Tillburg which is used to assemble cars shipped in pieces in order to keep taxes down. Many companies do this to get around import taxes.

But they need to build a manufacturing plant in Europe and China because the Fremont factory won't be able to make all the cars world-wide forever.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Is anyone suspicious of France's motives? Like sticking Tesla with the cleanup costs of a used nuclear plant?

• Like Like x 1
  7. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I just assume that the motive is jobs & the associated taxes the government would pull in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HanSolo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I believe that is the best explanation. However this type of talk is what can spook investors. Investors just want Elon to pull things off right now rather than keep talking about other things. Right now, their priority is getting the Fremont Toyota plant up and running and things working before he talks about other stuff.

9. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    #9 Red Sage, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    There is a reason why Elon Musk speaks of things before others would be comfortable. Think of it as a Disclaimer. A sort of Ample Warning Alert. Use it as a form of due diligence toward what is to come on the horizon. Maybe even a canary in a cage, if you will. If you don't like what is coming, bail out. Simple.

The idea is that no one who stays on for the ride to come can readily claim they had no idea where he was headed or what path he meant to take to get there. Either you believe in the path, the journey, the goal... Or you don't. Decide now... Or forever hold your peace.

Because from Elon's perspective, everything is moving far too slowly. Each problem needs a solution. Once those solutions have been discovered, they must be put into place before they are needed. So that you can move on to the solution to another issue that follows in priority. Because if you wait until you need something before you start to raise funding for it, you just lose that much more time. Inviting failure with a lack of timely action.

Even though Elon first mentioned the notion of a Gigafactory three years ago, there are some that are only just now realizing why it is necessary. And there are others that are still absolutely certain it is instead some type of 'risk'. Just like there are those who are still dwelling on the 'risk' of building the Model S, instead of something more like the Fisker KARMA, Chevrolet VOLT, or Toyota PRIUS.

Meanwhile, from the perspective of someone like Bob Lutz, Tesla is getting way ahead of themselves, far out on a limb, and up the creek without a paddle, or a boat. Myopic folk like Jim Cramer and Cory Johnson share a common point of view. Some will never 'see', no matter the viewing angle they are provided. What they perceive as chaotic wandering is instead parallel processing in multiple dimensions. They only look at it from above, and see scribbles, or from the side and see a line, or curve... They never see the construction as it appears to Elon. I might not either, but I know what it's going to be. I've seen that since I was six.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1