Everytime that drivers get excited about seeing my Model 3...

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... I figure it out about 5 seconds after I've driven away. So today I'm driving over to go for a hike with my daughter and someone passes me in another car and they flash me three times quickly and I looked over and they are waving and smiling, and I somehow managed to wave and smile back just about the time that they were passing my back bumper. And it's not just this once that I have totally missed the reason why people are waving out the window at me... it happens more or less every time. The first thought that always crosses my mind is "what? I haven't messed up have I? what did I do wrong?" and then when I see the smile it's always a bit too late.

And all these other people who look at me.. I have gotten used to everything else about the car except that people pay attention to it. I'm still not used to it. So I've determined that even if you give me the coolest car in the world, I'm still too much of a dork to look cool in it.

So, yeah, people who were in the white Honda Honda CRV who passed me by Sam's Club on Harmony flashing and waving in Fort Collins today... sorry I looked confused. I did wave... way too late.

Last edited:

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had that a lot too. One guy waved his hat out the window while whooping and hollering. The cart guy at Costco gave me a wave and a thumbs up. Kids in my neighborhood will tap their friends on the shoulder and point. It's weird driving a car that's also a celebrity.

Joaquin

Country
Country
I think people also pay more attention to new cars without plates. I remember when I got my Miata, I got a bunch of "nice car!" comments at the very beginning. Later when I got the plates, not any more interactions.

Let's see how it goes with the Model 3, I'm pretty sure it will turn heads. You know, red is not that visible... right? ;)

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the hardest part of ownership! You’re driving a unicorn and people freak out when they see their first unicorn :)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One day it will be just like seeing another Camry

Last edited:

c2c

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Camry.
:)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, yeah, people who were in the white Honda Honda CRV who passed me by Sam's Club on Harmony flashing and waving in Fort Collins today... sorry I looked confused. I did wave... way too late.
Soooo I totally thought of this thread today, because I've figured out that, as of last week, there is now a beautiful blue Model 3 that commutes in the opposite direction as I do... and today I basically was the driver in the white CRV. :D

I left the office at 5pm on the dot, as I've done for the past three workdays, and sure enough, there it was, traveling in the left lane on the other side of state highway, within a half-mile radius of my other sightings, and easily identifiable from a distance. I quickly rolled down my window flashed my high-beams several times, and triumphantly thrust my left arm out the window with a three-finger salute... !!!... to no effect whatsoever. :rolleyes: Alas, the driver seemed to be laser-focused on the road ahead, with an iron grip on the steering wheel... c'mon man, this is Boston! That's not how we drive here! We're all about inter-car interactions, for better and for worse*.

* Usually the latter. :)

Postscript: later, when I was waiting at a stoplight, I texted my dad, a big Tesla fan (former S owner / current X owner / aspiring Roadster owner if TSLA hits $1500 before they take away his license :D) who is in town for a visit. He has yet to encounter a Model 3 in person back home in Portland, so we were commiserating over the fact that, by the same token, I have only seen two Model 3s in the wild here in Boston, despite the fact that the Dedham store has delivered hundreds of them over the past few months. Anyway, I text-bragged about my newfound Model 3 commuter-companion... and his matter-of-fact response was: "OK. Parked by one at Home Depot today. Looked great. VIN 4604." :eek:

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
^^^^
As the ramp accelerates, you won't have to worry about doe-eyed kiss-ups slobbering over your new ride!!! When it becomes just another mass-produced small sedan and the shiny gee-whiz effect is no more some may be disappointed.....

Joaquin

Country
Country
and triumphantly thrust my left arm out the window with a three-finger salute... !!!
Hey, I thought nobody else liked the 3-finger salute!

I remember proposing this in reddit several months ago an basically everybody ignored me.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Soooo I totally thought of this thread today, because I've figured out that, as of last week, there is now a beautiful blue Model 3 that commutes in the opposite direction as I do... and today I basically was the driver in the white CRV. :D

I left the office at 5pm on the dot, as I've done for the past three workdays, and sure enough, there it was, traveling in the left lane on the other side of state highway, within a half-mile radius of my other sightings, and easily identifiable from a distance. I quickly rolled down my window flashed my high-beams several times, and triumphantly thrust my left arm out the window with a three-finger salute... !!!... to no effect whatsoever. :rolleyes: Alas, the driver seemed to be laser-focused on the road ahead, with an iron grip on the steering wheel... c'mon man, this is Boston! That's not how we drive here! We're all about inter-car interactions, for better and for worse*.

* Usually the latter. :)

Postscript: later, when I was waiting at a stoplight, I texted my dad, a big Tesla fan (former S owner / current X owner / aspiring Roadster owner if TSLA hits $1500 before they take away his license :D) who is in town for a visit. He has yet to encounter a Model 3 in person back home in Portland, so we were commiserating over the fact that, by the same token, I have only seen two Model 3s in the wild here in Boston, despite the fact that the Dedham store has delivered hundreds of them over the past few months. Anyway, I text-bragged about my newfound Model 3 commuter-companion... and his matter-of-fact response was: "OK. Parked by one at Home Depot today. Looked great. VIN 4604." :eek:
Your comment about Boston personality reminds me of Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers! They make me laugh till I cried! :D They were such wonderful crazy guys.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, I thought nobody else liked the 3-finger salute!
I remember proposing this in reddit several months ago an basically everybody ignored me.
Yeah, same thing happened to me on TMC two years ago. The one response I received was, "Uh, you do know that's a gang sign, right?" :confused:

Vendacious

Country
Country
Here in Southern California we're not too far from that day. On an average 20 minute commute I see 4-5 Model S, 4-5 Model X, and at least one Model 3. I'm expecting by next year I will be seeing too many Model 3s to count each day.

mwoody999

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
... I figure it out about 5 seconds after I've driven away. So today I'm driving over to go for a hike with my daughter and someone passes me in another car and they flash me three times quickly and I looked over and they are waving and smiling, and I somehow managed to wave and smile back just about the time that they were passing my back bumper. And it's not just this once that I have totally missed the reason why people are waving out the window at me... it happens more or less every time. The first thought that always crosses my mind is "what? I haven't messed up have I? what did I do wrong?" and then when I see the smile it's always a bit too late.

And all these other people who look at me.. I have gotten used to everything else about the car except that people pay attention to it. I'm still not used to it. So I've determined that even if you give me the coolest car in the world, I'm still too much of a dork to look cool in it.

You live in FoCo? Me too... Any chance we could take a look at your 3? Will buy you a coffee. Ours was config'd on 4/18...no vin yet.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You live in FoCo? Me too... Any chance we could take a look at your 3? Will buy you a coffee. Ours was config'd on 4/18...no vin yet.
Sure. I'd say "any time" except tomorrow is Mother's Day and my wife wouldn't be impressed. But, sure, any time that isn't tomorrow.

Start a conversation in the conversation tab and we can figure out a time and date to meet.

Last edited:

Azthrillhouse

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, same thing happened to me on TMC two years ago. The one response I received was, "Uh, you do know that's a gang sign, right?" :confused:
What about making a "T" for "Tesla" with both hands, like you're calling a timeout? Autopilot will take care of the steering, after all... (I kid, I kid)

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine gets way less attention than I thought it would to be honest. I live 20min from downtown Portland and in 6 weeks of ownership I’ve literally seen 1 other Model 3, and only one time.

I did valet at a nice hotel this week and the valet guys were pretty stoked about it :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Thanks. I wasn’t sure on the spelling as I never would ever consider one o_O
Fun fact: "Camry" is another in a line of Toyota vehicles named after crowns (Crown, Corolla, Corona, Tiara - and tangentially, Scepter). It comes from the Japanese word for crown, "kanmuri".

JOUL3S

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fun fact: "Camry" is another in a line of Toyota vehicles named after crowns (Crown, Corolla, Corona, Tiara - and tangentially, Scepter). It comes from the Japanese word for crown, "kanmuri".
Really? I thought it was Japanese for "boring".

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Mine gets way less attention than I thought it would to be honest. I live 20min from downtown Portland and in 6 weeks of ownership I’ve literally seen 1 other Model 3, and only one time.

I did valet at a nice hotel this week and the valet guys were pretty stoked about it :)
I took a couple of WA State Ferries this weekend. Both times I pulled up to the ticket booth I was treated extremely courteously in contrast to the usual bored/indifferent/superior treatment I get as a member of the general public by a State worker who has to deal with thousands of people every day. I think they know enough to not comment on the customer's personal vehicle but I do think that people who work day in and day out around running cars appreciate the clean and silent EV's, particularly a Tesla since they are so recognizable as being pure EV.