Experimenting with idea for do it yourself HUD

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Having tried in my Model S and been woefully disappointed in all of the aftermarket Heads Up Displays currently available, I’m going ahead with an experiment using a mini DLP projector. The best I could find was the ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector WiFi only. It’s 720P resolution with a 4000:1 contrast ratio, 200 lumens, and keystone adjustment. It also mirrors an iPhone or Android screen. And it’s very small: about 5” x 5” by 1”. And the angle on the dash should prove very good for projecting an image on the windshield.

So I’ve ordered the $350 ZTE projector from Amazon (so I can return it and get a refund if it doesn’t work as planned). My plan is to place it on the wood dash behind the steering wheel with the lens pointing up at the windshield. With shims and the keystone feature I can adjust the placement and configuration of the image on the windshield. The only major question is: Will the image be bright enough during daylight to see clearly? If it’s not with the bare windshield glass I also have some transparent mirrored film that I can adhere to the windshild to see if that helps.

I’ll receive the projector next week and be able to determine with my Model S (don’t have the 3 I ordered yet) if the image is bright enough. If it is, when I get my 3 I’ll install it and report to everyone here how it’s done. As for HUD what I want to do is project Waze or some other GPS software on the windshield. Of course, as the projector image only mirrors what’s on my iPhone, there a lot of possible choices about the HUD image.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Having tried in my Model S and been woefully disappointed in all of the aftermarket Heads Up Displays currently available (...).
Just curious, does this experience include the Hudway device?? I was tempted to get that on order for Red Dragon...

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Just curious, does this experience include the Hudway device?? I was tempted to get that on order for Red Dragon...
That's not in my plans, as no device will be needed other than the projector. But the Hudway Go nav app is an option to project via phone mirroring with the projector.