1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

False Forward Collision Warning

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by MrMatt, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrMatt

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Anyone else getting Forward Collision Warnings when there is no imminent danger? My neighbor's car is parked on the street and I pass it every day and about ~4 times so far in the last 2 weeks since we've had the car, the collision warning sounds and freaks me out. I'm not close to it and not heading towards it and its not moving and i'm only go 25mph. And then today, driving, the alarm sounded and there was no car there. I don't have a lot of faith in this system, but i don't wanna turn it off......

I also notice that it does not detect bikers and does not handle large vehicles (buses and tractor trailers) well at all (it just shows them as other cars). Plus when i'm stopped in first position at a light and there is cross traffic, it seems to think those cars are heading parallel to me and get's all confused and moves the cars sideways! Anyone else see that too?

I expected more from this system with all the hype. I only have free Autopilot, not enhanced.

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    File a bug with Tesla after one of these occurrences.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Dogwhistle

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I believe this is just a limitation with the current rendering software. Right now, autopilot can only show obstacles as other Teslas facing parallel to your direction of travel. Bikers, trucks, pedestrians, they’re all Teslas. What’s really amusing is to sit at a stop in the front position with pedestrians walking in front of you. Mine shows a bunch of cars sliding sideways across my path! I think this will change in future updates/improvements to the system.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dogwhistle

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    In your case, since you are getting a bunch of false warnings, you might want to set the system to “Late” notification to try and get rid of them.

BB8D7266-2197-428D-8166-A0B1A95E3132.png

5. msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Mine has startled me on multiple occasions - nothing imminent though. My guess is that if you accelerate when the car in front (even if pretty far away) is not, it thinks maybe you're going to ram it... basing that on a couple of yellow light moderate accelerations.. but it's a guess cause it's done it to me when there's nothing dangerous nearby..

6. tim-sutherland

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I had mine on late collision warning since delivery didn't have any false positives. On my current road trip I set it to the middle selection (can't remember how they label them) and got a few false positives. So I'll be setting it back to late.

7. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Mine has been set to "Early" since I've owned the car, thought I would try it out and thought I would have to reduce the setting. That said I think I've only triggered it once and I knew I was approaching a car rather quickly. If you have that many false readings I'd get the system checked by Tesla to make sure the sensors are properly wired and calibrated.

8. ateslik

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have to drive up a long hill with multiple stop signs to get to work. Sometimes if I’m driving too fast approaching a car in front of me waiting at the sign the alarm will sound even though I am nowhere near close to a collision. If the ground was flat and I was appoaching that fast then mabye. My guess is the collision warning is a calculation of your current speed (distance / time) compared to the available distance to the object in front of you and the time it takes to stop in that distance. When you exceed a threshold where the time required to stop is close to the time it takes to travel that distance it triggers. But it should also take into account the grade of travel in my opinion, since a steep grade helps stopping a lot.

Still makes me piss my pants almost everytime though, dammit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kizzy

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Sounds like great feedback. Have you filed a bug report?