FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

ahmadr

Country
Country
Tesla S/X/3 have tiny 12V battery. Not suitable for anything more than phone charging, video recorder charging (or similar) when vehicle off.
Not OK to use cooler box, not ok to charge laptop when vehicle is switched off !
Though in case of vehicle that is ready to drive, Tesla should easily supply 1kW of power. Through cigarette lighter socket on most vehicles supports 10A (therefore 13V 10A = 130W), Tesla appears to have 15A fuse. Therefore 15A*13V=200W. Anything more than that and it requires separate wiring.
To get 120V AC 60Hz you need an inverter. Get something that is rated for no less than 150W nominal.
Skip Chinese crap. Expect pricerange between 30-60 bucks.
Why do you think that way? The 12v battery is orders of magnitude larger than your phone, but more importantly it will be recharged by the main traction battery as needed, even when the car is "off"

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Why do you think that way?
Because I know how much energy does it contain. Physical dimensions do not matter.

it will be recharged by the main traction battery as needed, even when the car is "off"
No. HV contactor does not fire up in every situation. 12V battery discharge while vehicle off will not engage contactor.
Or at least this functionality has not been confirmed on Teslas.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
No. HV contactor does not fire up in every situation. 12V battery discharge while vehicle off will not engage contactor. Or at least this functionality has not been confirmed on Teslas.
It would be silly for Tesla to not have the internal software monitor the voltage of the 12V battery at least once per day and even sillier for the software to not to recharge it from the traction battery if voltage fell below a certain threshold. I'm sure there are isolated cases in which something went wrong with this process but that is fixable with a software update.

Is it your contention that adding a small continuous drain to the 12v battery of a Model 3 (enough to drain the 12v battery in one to two weeks) and parking the vehicle will result in a dead battery every time, even when the traction battery is over half full?

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Is it your contention that adding a small continuous drain to the 12v battery of a Model 3 (enough to drain the 12v battery in one to two weeks) and parking the vehicle will result in a dead battery every time, even when the traction battery is over half full?
No. What I states was this:
Not OK to use cooler box, not ok to charge laptop when vehicle is switched off !
This is not "few weeks". It's few hours.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
edited a bunch of the entries in post #1 to reflect the latest changes and software updates. If there are other new tidbits that are not included there, or questions that haven't yet come up, reply and I'll get them added in!

Headwind

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
edited a bunch of the entries in post #1 to reflect the latest changes and software updates. If there are other new tidbits that are not included there, or questions that haven't yet come up, reply and I'll get them added in!
@MelindaV here is the sunshade snapped into place. Its not a perfect fit, and I would not say "snapped" in place. There is enough of a rounded corner from the body to the glass to have it held in though.

Chris IMG_7384.JPG

Country
Country
@MelindaV here is the sunshade snapped into place. Its not a perfect fit, and I would not say "snapped" in place. There is enough of a rounded corner from the body to the glass to have it held in though.

Chris
Hi Chris, can you please try how does the sunshade fit on tinted part of "rear" glass?
The sun is as severe as front, but there is no rear sunshade from Tesla yet.

Last edited:

Three Pixel

Country
Country

bobjouy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello, I'm trying to find the diameter of the cup holders. Could anyone tell me?
I'm eager to buy a nice bottle but would like to know which one would fit better.

Thanks!

IMG_20181126_101221_170.jpg

bobjouy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, because I only found this stating it was 2.75" at the base and 3" at the top, which would be too little.

If it's more than 7,6cm it's perfect, thank you.

Also found this: "75mm at the bottom to about 82mm at the top (67mm deep)" from here.

So perfect, thank you once again.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Turning circle 33.5ft at tires, 38.8' full clearance circle (Owners Manual page 136)
Dear @MelindaV ,
It seems that there is a mistake widely spread across this forum and in other ones about the exact Model 3 "turning circle".
As it is a main concern on my side due to the tiny shape of my parking lot in Paris, I have done few inquiries on that subject.
IMHO this is the correct way to discuss about Tesla Model 3 turning circle :
1544429839937.png
Turning circle "wall-to-wall" in blue color : 38,8 ft - 11826 mm (as in Model 3 manual)
Turning circle "curb-to-curb" in amber color : 36,4 ft - 11100 mm
Turning circle for "U-turn" in red color : 33,5 ft - 10211 mm (as reported by @RiggerJon )
Inner circle in blue color : 18,1 ft - 5498 mm
The image above is at exact scale (1 cm = 1 m) and can be used as a transparent layer for drawings.
If you think it is useful, you can insert those figures in your big table which is full of super interesting data!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dear @MelindaV ,
It seems that there is a mistake widely spread across this forum and in other ones about the exact Model 3 "turning circle".
As it is a main concern on my side due to the tiny shape of my parking lot in Paris, I have done few inquiries on that subject.
IMHO this is the correct way to discuss about Tesla Model 3 turning circle :
View attachment 18915
Turning circle "wall-to-wall" in blue color : 38,8 ft - 11826 mm (as in Model 3 manual)
Turning circle "curb-to-curb" in amber color : 36,4 ft - 11100 mm
Turning circle for "U-turn" in red color : 33,5 ft - 10211 mm (as reported by @RiggerJon )
Inner circle in blue color : 18,1 ft - 5498 mm
The image above is at exact scale (1 cm = 1 m) and can be used as a transparent layer for drawings.
If you think it is useful, you can insert those figures in your big table which is full of super interesting data!
added a link to your post with the diagram.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Add to maint section : car will be removed from account during maintenance...

Also a cleaning care section would be good. Like how to avoid scratching window trim.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Add to maint section : car will be removed from account during maintenance...
this is different per service center location. When mine was in service, I had full access to it via the app. I could see where it was parked, the temp, etc. I didn't try to change any controls (lights, temp, etc) but they appeared to be available to me.
Like @SoFlaModel3 mentioned in another post, his experience was it was shown in his app as "in service" with all the access disabled. In your case, it was removed all together.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is different per service center location. When mine was in service, I had full access to it via the app. I could see where it was parked, the temp, etc. I didn't try to change any controls (lights, temp, etc) but they appeared to be available to me.
Like @SoFlaModel3 mentioned in another post, his experience was it was shown in his app as "in service" with all the access disabled. In your case, it was removed all together.
Check this out ....

My shops writes it in on their intake form. It should be printed and should just be something they all do!

0B3E6458-B2EC-4D80-989E-0297C5D92B01.jpeg

SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also will add antidotally, in my current car (which multiple times over has proven the GM auto engineers with +/-100 years of experience often have used crap parts/materials and cut corners) I used a small power inverter for a trip I took where I was using a GPS program on my laptop. Was about the smallest one you can get but still more than enough to power my laptop's power supply. I'd used it with a previous car without issue, but it had been sitting in the garage for a couple years gathering dust. I noticed halfway thru the trip it stopped working and I figured something was up with the inverter.
When I got home, I realized the 12v socket's wiring melted. Looked into it, and apparently it was one of the more common repairs on that car, because GM undersized the wiring compared to every other 12v car socket out there.
1- antidotally = anecdotally?
2- it would seem that GM’s fail in this case was both the crap wiring, but also not having the 12v adapter fused for the actual wiring installed, which I think is the bigger problem. Overcurrent should have blown a fuse to protect the wiring, and been de-rated for the crap wiring. We too use an inverter to power a laptop on long trips but have not used it in the model 3 as yet. Worked great in our GMC Envoy and Toyota Venza, both now sold.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1- antidotally = anecdotally?
2- it would seem that GM’s fail in this case was both the crap wiring, but also not having the 12v adapter fused for the actual wiring installed, which I think is the bigger problem. Overcurrent should have blown a fuse to protect the wiring, and been de-rated for the crap wiring. We too use an inverter to power a laptop on long trips but have not used it in the model 3 as yet. Worked great in our GMC Envoy and Toyota Venza, both now sold.
1. Acts as a cure to considering another GM?