FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think this has been asked yet (I might have missed it), but do you think it it is realistic to "camp" in the Model 3 as some people do in the Model S by folding the rear seats and lying down in the back?

Country
Country
I'm 6 feet tall and had the drivers seat adjusted comfortably for me. With this configuration the back seat had plenty of room for me to sit comfortably. I didn't feel like my knees were unusually high.
Thank you very much for answering my question! I'm very glad to hear this!

Perhaps it's also what you are used to.
My most common reference point in the last couple of years is a Renault Grand Scenic MPV. All passengers are sitting quite high in that car (floor-seat level wise).

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
1) I've not noticed any noise from around the window seals. I'm sure some exists, but it's not been enough to notice. This is my first EV, and the cabin is eerily quiet below 50 mph.
2) No rattles or squeaks over bumps - feels solid & compliant. The only noise I've heard is when backing out of my steep driveway diagonally - where it tries to twist the car. The window seals ever so slightly make a noise is it's flexing against the rubber seals.
Excellent, thanks!

Headwind

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You won't need to tint. I tinted all my windows including the front with ceramic tint to reduce heat transmission in Florida, but I did not tint my MS pano roof because 0 heat comes through it.
Thanks for the info. On a trip this weekend I was fortunate to be near a Tesla show room and sat in an S...I definitely can appreciate that additional tinting seems unneeded.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, he does scoot back at a moment, I agree with that; There might be a lot more room than shown.
Then again, I do have my Model S test drive experience, so that combination triggered my question.

Tesla put a lot of thinking into this car, so I'm certainly optimistic! :)
remember also, without the transmission hump, there is the extra leg/floor room at the center of the car

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think this has been asked yet (I might have missed it), but do you think it it is realistic to "camp" in the Model 3 as some people do in the Model S by folding the rear seats and lying down in the back?
I don't see why you couldn't - except the whole man-card thing... ;)

The seats fold flat with the truck floor, and the measurement from the seat to the center console is 30". Given the trunk is 42" deep in the middle, that should be at least 6 feet in total length.

Country
Country
I don't see why you couldn't - except the whole man-card thing... ;)

The seats fold flat with the truck floor, and the measurement from the seat to the center console is 30". Given the trunk is 42" deep in the middle, that should be at least 6 feet in total length.
@RiggerJon can you also measure the width at the narrowest part of the trunk?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome. Thank you. I am use to a switch on my steering wheel but that would prob be easy to get use to.
@RiggerJon I was hoping one of the scroll wheels on the steering controls cruise speed. If not, what do they control other than media volume.
Guys remember the car has not been released beyond employees yet. It appears as though the UI is incomplete... can’t connect streaming audio, no EQ, can’t setup EAP, rear heated seats, etc. I can almost ensure you the steering wheel controls are missing things they will ultimately do. Consider this a “beta” and it will remain that way until customers get cars.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@RiggerJon how would you describe the interior (and overall driving experience) compared to a Model S? (Assuming you've driven one).

Much appreciated!
I haven't spent enough time in an S to really compare/contrast with any authority. That being said, the 3's interior was beyond my expectations. The roof, pillars, visors, and parts of the doors are upholstered with some type of suede. It looks super nice - soft & subtle. I was expecting way more plastic.

Driving it is an absolute blast. The suspension is definitely sport-styled - pretty stiff but the bumps don't hammer you either. No noticeable body roll to speak of. I think it's an ideal compromise for a daily driver - they hit the nail on the head.

The cabin is quiet. I need to measure it & get you guys some numbers, but there really isn't any wind noise to speak of. There is road noise at speed, but it isn't bad either.

You can tell it's engineered to feel solid. The doors & trunk close with a thud - not a twang - so they made an effort to use sound treatments on the metal panels. The one outlier is the frunk lid. It's really light & kind of awkward to close. You have to mash it - you can't slam or drop it like a traditional hood. It's straight metal with no liner on the underside, so it's the only thing build-wise I've noticed that falls a short of first class. Pretty minor in my book.

One observation is the steering wheel is a bit smaller than what I'm used to. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Country
Country
I certainly plan to! :D I'm crossing my fingers for December delivery and will be putting some data together regarding space, range loss overnight, comfort, etc...

Country
Country
I haven't spent enough time in an S to really compare/contrast with any authority. That being said, the 3's interior was beyond my expectations. The roof, pillars, visors, and parts of the doors are upholstered with some type of suede. It looks super nice - soft & subtle. I was expecting way more plastic.

Driving it is an absolute blast.
Some people will ask you to do all sorts of things, but one thing that is pretty easy is: put a bike in it. Please demonstrate the handlebar well. I think pulling the cover off the well in the floor of the trunk before putting a bike in (rear wheel first, cog and chain set up, front wheel off) should let even wide bars clear the deck lid.

This is quite a mystery - does it really work to fit a 29er in there?

Visually I am decent, but a photo here should go a long way. This whole "handlebar well" idea might be fiction.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some people will ask you to do all sorts of things, but one thing that is pretty easy is: put a bike in it. Please demonstrate the handlebar well. I think pulling the cover off the well in the floor of the trunk before putting a bike in (rear wheel first, cog and chain set up, front wheel off) should let even wide bars clear the deck lid.

This is quite a mystery - does it really work to fit a 29er in there?

Visually I am decent, but a photo here should go a long way. This whole "handlebar well" idea might be fiction.
I have two car seats installed, so it's not a super easy request. It does appear it'll fit my 29er with the front tire removed. Using the well in the trunk for the handlebar is a good idea. I'm almost sure my 740mm bars would fit like that - the well is pretty deep.

slicedbread

Country
Country
I have two car seats installed, so it's not a super easy request. It does appear it'll fit my 29er with the front tire removed. Using the well in the trunk for the handlebar is a good idea. I'm almost sure my 740mm bars would fit like that - the well is pretty deep.
You have two young kids and so do I. Do you have a double stroller? If yes, What model is it so I can find dimension? How well does it fit in trunk? Any pics of it in trunk appreciated. I'm planning to take m3 to Orlando and bring double stroller and suitcase. I suppose it will be very tight fit to travel with two kids and various travel great for hundreds of miles but autopilot should make it a much easier trip.