FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I hope they add rain sensing to windshield wipers, would be a pity not to have a feature that any 10k car has...
It's not a question of "if" rather than "when". We know that M3 is 3-series competitor. Therefore it has auto-wipers. Also it is piece of cake to do. And a requirement for autonomous vehicle.

FYI, Tesla intentionally makes the frunk lid "relatively soft" and thin(they apply very little reinforcements to stiffen it). It is designed to collapse into the frunk to decrease pedestrian injuries in auto vs pedestrian front collisions. It is part of the "Active Hood" system in the Tesla Model S
Model S frunk "edge softness" is a design flaw. BMW 5-series has active hood for pedestrian head protection. It is also aluminium. And it can be whacked as a normal hood. It will not bend. You can just slam it close. Or push hard with hands. Anywhere.
I will be heavily disappointed if hood will not close if dropped from 20cm (BMW hood closure instructions for adjustment).

The frunk has hooks,
These are bolt covers. Things to make holes look nice.
Theoretically can be "upgraded".

About wipers. I've seen a photo of very weird windshield wiper wiping area. There were some areas totally not covered.
Would like to see some more.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I was referring to EV battery...
Yeah, I agree, you don't need to worry about the locks draining the battery. You could charge your phone or leave the lights on for days, maybe even weeks, and not drain it. It's hard to comparre the amount of power it takes to propel a 4K lb car around with electricity. The little 12v stuff isn't draining much.

Country
Country
Yeah, I agree, you don't need to worry about the locks draining the battery. You could charge your phone or leave the lights on for days, maybe even weeks, and not drain it. It's hard to comparre the amount of power it takes to propel a 4K lb car around with electricity. The little 12v stuff isn't draining much.
Wait. There is a 12V on car battery that historically likes to die.

This might control aux function.

I don't know the relationship between those two battery systems.

voip-ninja

Country
Country
there are already photos linked to show the grocery bag hanger hooks in the frunk (although closed and not a photo of them in use) in post #1. No cargo net
Thanks. Surprising that the front trunk has those and not the rear, but I might approach how I deal with putting things into the car differently since it has a very different storage configuration than any other car I've owned.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for answering one of my questions.
Allow me to explain it more.

My original meaning is "does wood trim cause refection on windshield or side mirror while driving?"
Because I found light-color objects at that place/height do cause refection on side mirror on my current car.
No, I haven't noticed any glare like what you're describing. To be fair, it could be the light hasn't been at the right angle yet, but I really don't foresee this being an issue at all.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@RiggerJon and @PTFI
Thank you again, from another Model 3 reservation holder. Your information is fantastic.

When you get a chance, can you update us all on actual range numbers? We've seen 310,334, and various efficiency estimates, as well as Model S/X data, but it would be nice to know, say, 80MPH with the heater/AC on, city vs highway, etc. I know that'll take awhile, but it'll help us all who are planning trips with our new toys.

Thank you!
I have a difficult time driving this thing conservatively, so I'm not sure I'll be a good data point in this regard. That aside, I have a trip planned in mid-Oct, so I'll try to remember to jot down notes.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The big battery charges the little battery.
True. However, you may wish to research the issue of 12 volt batteries dying in MS and MX in other Tesla forums.

The vampire drain is one issue.

The automatic float recharge (of the 12 volt battery) profile is another issue.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over in this thread...

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/question-no-fm-radio-usb-or-streaming-from-phone.4990

...a few fans of AM radio have been considering what options are available to them apart from TuneIn, whose service blacks out MLB broadcasts and may not be available in rural areas with weak LTE coverage. Carrying a portable AM radio in the car is a possible workaround, but there could be interference from the inverter and other drivetrain components.

So, the question for our esteemed Model 3 owners -- should they happen to own a portable AM radio -- is: how good is AM reception while driving? (Bonus points if you can test this on a road trip! :))

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm worried about this, I work from home, just above the garage it will go in. I go for a walk several times per day walking right past the car and I don't want it unlocking every time I walk past it. I might have to disable bluetooth during the day. :(
I have some of the same issue with my MS. I love the auto lock and unlock most of the time. I actually wish it would stay unlocked in my garage based on GPS location. I can't count how many times I have tried to get in the car and couldn't. Although I love the auto unlock, I have disabled it due to the ability of thieves to compromise it. I haven't heard anything about it with the 3 but assume it could have the same vulnerability. Here is an article about it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/amp

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Over in this thread...

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/question-no-fm-radio-usb-or-streaming-from-phone.4990

...a few fans of AM radio have been considering what options are available to them apart from TuneIn, whose service blacks out MLB broadcasts and may not be available in rural areas with weak LTE coverage. Carrying a portable AM radio in the car is a possible workaround, but there could be interference from the inverter and other drivetrain components.

So, the question for our esteemed Model 3 owners -- should they happen to own a portable AM radio -- is: how good is AM reception while driving? (Bonus points if you can test this on a road trip! :))
I would say it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated AM tuner in a car. In car tuners they put a lot more features in the tuners to eliminate noise. For example the ignition noise on an ICE can couple into radios even over the antenna. They have software in DSP to blank out the noise from this. Your conventional consumer AM radio will not have these features. Now if you live in the country and there isn't much electronic noise or no large power stations near by you might be fine :)