FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over in this thread...

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/question-no-fm-radio-usb-or-streaming-from-phone.4990

...a few fans of AM radio have been considering what options are available to them apart from TuneIn, whose service blacks out MLB broadcasts and may not be available in rural areas with weak LTE coverage. Carrying a portable AM radio in the car is a possible workaround, but there could be interference from the inverter and other drivetrain components.

So, the question for our esteemed Model 3 owners -- should they happen to own a portable AM radio -- is: how good is AM reception while driving? (Bonus points if you can test this on a road trip! :))
I have a much simpler solution to this problem...not caring at all about team sports (or watching any kind of sports at all, really). :D I am, however, an avid runner/cyclist.

It's baffling to me that this might be a deal-breaker for some potential Model 3 buyers.

voip-ninja

Country
Country
I have some of the same issue with my MS. I love the auto lock and unlock most of the time. I actually wish it would stay unlocked in my garage based on GPS location. I can't count how many times I have tried to get in the car and couldn't. Although I love the auto unlock, I have disabled it due to the ability of thieves to compromise it. I haven't heard anything about it with the 3 but assume it could have the same vulnerability. Here is an article about it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/amp
There is definitely a technological solution to this. BT devices are able to estimate physical differences with ping times and there could also (easily) be a geo fencing option using the onboard GPS to enable/disable auto locking of the car is determined to be in the garage.

I imagine it's a combination of low priority for Tesla as well as a relatively low # of customers complaining about it.

It does sound annoying though. My garage sits next to my family room, home office and my master bedroom is above. The car will be unlocking/locking itself constantly as I move about the house.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you get a chance, can you update us all on actual range numbers? We've seen 310,334, and various efficiency estimates, as well as Model S/X data, but it would be nice to know, say, 80MPH with the heater/AC on, city vs highway, etc. I know that'll take awhile, but it'll help us all who are planning trips with our new toys.

Thank you!
Tesla has a nice range calculator on their Model S page where you can see how variables affect range. Go to https://www.tesla.com/models and scroll down to Range Per Charge.

Range is going to be affected by driving speed, style, elevation changes, and ambient temperature to name a few. Furthermore, I don't think these guys will want to drain their batteries to zero just to find out what range they get in a particular situation. It's not good for your battery to do that much, and it really won't apply to you. Likewise, you can drive at 45mph in decent weather on a flat road and probably double the rated range.

Country
Country
I have some of the same issue with my MS. I love the auto lock and unlock most of the time. I actually wish it would stay unlocked in my garage based on GPS location. I can't count how many times I have tried to get in the car and couldn't. Although I love the auto unlock, I have disabled it due to the ability of thieves to compromise it. I haven't heard anything about it with the 3 but assume it could have the same vulnerability. Here is an article about it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/amp
The gps feature would be a good work around, it should know it’s in your house and let you choose to keep it unlocked.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally caught up on this thread! I fell behind a few days ago and it's been hard to catch up! Thanks for all the great info!

I'm still hoping someone will be kind enough to put together a quick video of how the steering wheel controls work for media. Thanks!!

PTFI

FIRST OWNER!
FIRST MODEL 3 OWNER
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally caught up on this thread! I fell behind a few days ago and it's been hard to catch up! Thanks for all the great info!

I'm still hoping someone will be kind enough to put together a quick video of how the steering wheel controls work for media. Thanks!!
So far I only have used the control on the left for volume control....many, many, many more questions will be answered for ALL of us when an OFFICIAL Manual is published.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So far I only have used the control on the left for volume control....many, many, many more questions will be answered for ALL of us when an OFFICIAL Manual is published.
Thanks! You haven't tried changing a channel or switching sources yet? (I realize there are very limited sources so far, but maybe you can try switching between the few you have?)

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@RiggerJon ! welcome back, and NICE pic. I'm ready to install my wall charger, just need to know the following:
1. Did you go with the Tesla Wall Charger?
2. Did you install a 60 amp breaker?
3. What's the charge rate in miles/hour at home?
thanks tons.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this is pretty cool - even the RAIN looks good on the Model 3! I have no idea why it glows this iridescent pinkish/orange/yellow, but it looks super cool... :)
View attachment 3522
I believe that's due to the special treatment that Tesla applies to the glass roof to block most of the UV / infrared heat from above. Apparently, you can see the same effect on the Model X, you just have to be a lot taller to see it. :) I would imagine the S with the all-glass roof is similar.

Stolz25

Country
Country
I'm really surprised it has a physical lock. I expected locked/unlocked to simply be a software state where it would just ignore the door handles and buttons as it's all electronic. Then you wouldn't care if that happened.
Safety. Don’t want the doors flying open in a crash.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@RiggerJon ! welcome back, and NICE pic. I'm ready to install my wall charger, just need to know the following
@RiggerJon ! welcome back, and NICE pic. I'm ready to install my wall charger, just need to know the following:
1. Did you go with the Tesla Wall Charger?
2. Did you install a 60 amp breaker?
3. What's the charge rate in miles/hour at home?
thanks tons.
Yeah...I can't stay away for too long or the tremors start to set in. :)
1. Nope, I'm using the mobile charger.
2. 50 amp breaker
3. 40 amps, 38-39 miles/hr

Country
Country
True. However, you may wish to research the issue of 12 volt batteries dying in MS and MX in other Tesla forums.

The vampire drain is one issue.

The automatic float recharge (of the 12 volt battery) profile is another issue.
Vampire drain. How is the vampire drain of the Model 3? Has anyone already asked / investigated this?

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
True. However, you may wish to research the issue of 12 volt batteries dying in MS and MX in other Tesla forums.

The vampire drain is one issue.

The automatic float recharge (of the 12 volt battery) profile is another issue.
I own one. Never had an issue. If it happens, I call Tesla for a new battery. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over. The point is that even if you lock and unlock your car 100 times a night, I doubt it drops you 1%. Tesla should correct the issue because its annoying, but I wouldn't worry about draining your entire battery....

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @RiggerJon - I heard from a friend there is going to be a show and tell at 9am Sunday in the Nordstrom parking lot at Barton Creek. Is that you?

[EDIT] Just heard it was a woman.. But maybe two for one?
I'm jealous! Someone said they're from San Diego on the Tesla forum and they're supposed to be getting theirs this week. I'm really hoping they'll have a meetup!