FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until March 11 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

xnappo

Country
Country
I can't believe Austin is getting them this soon. Really cool. FYI others are welcome to the Sunday thing too (at least according to my friend :D )

smak

Country
Country
If it hasn't been done, can you post a picture of a phone docked in the front dock? One from a bit back, and one from close up.

Also, I'm curious on whether you can turn off bluetooth via the control center in ios11, and still be able to unlock your door.

It's been said, that that doesn't actually turn off all bluetooth, and you can still pair your watch, and a few other things.

I wonder if that is true for the Tesla as well, since it's also a proximity use.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I own one. Never had an issue. If it happens, I call Tesla for a new battery. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over. The point is that even if you lock and unlock your car 100 times a night, I doubt it drops you 1%. Tesla should correct the issue because its annoying, but I wouldn't worry about draining your entire battery....
I have no doubt your traction battery is never going to run down if you keep it plugged in at all times when not used.

If you park your Tesla at an airport and not plug it in and leave for 3 weeks and come back, you will have lost a statistically significant amount of remaining range.

Calling Tesla for the 12 volt battery, while under warrenty, is only a minor PITA.

At the $35k price point however, the target customer will not be as forgiving for dying 12 volt batteries either on or off warranty.

Country
Country
I own one. Never had an issue. If it happens, I call Tesla for a new battery. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over. The point is that even if you lock and unlock your car 100 times a night, I doubt it drops you 1%. Tesla should correct the issue because its annoying, but I wouldn't worry about draining your entire battery....
I think sometimes people forget the preposterous amount of energy they're riding on. These cars could run a whole house for 1-3 days depending on usage and size. Many of these things are a drop in the bucket.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree; let me give an example.

I have a 40 year old all-electric 2500 sq. ft house in Phoenix with four people living in it. Hot water, AC, dryer, range, pool, and jacuzzi are all electric. My peak bill is in July, which this year was for just about 4000 kwh, meaning about 130 kwh / day. So in the worst possible (hot) climate, taking all the electricity that the modern world can give me, a days worth of electricity would allow me to drive a bit over 500 miles in a Model 3. In February, my usage is about 56 kwh/day, so I could drive 220 miles on a days worth of electricity.
For anyone in a more temperate climate, or with a smaller/newer house, and/or with gas appliances, the 55 kwh in a standard range Model 3 could very well be over 3 days worth of your home's electrical usage.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the great info!

Do you love the white? Is it pearl white or plain?
I am 95% sure about getting white. I always wanted a white vehicle and don't want a darker color to help not show dents and scratches. We keep our cars looking new forever, but aluminum panels are definitely going to collect a few dings. Also I think white looks good with the aero wheels. Downside is all the bugs that are going to splatter on that nose.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, I'm curious on whether you can turn off bluetooth via the control center in ios11, and still be able to unlock your door.

It's been said, that that doesn't actually turn off all bluetooth, and you can still pair your watch, and a few other things.

I wonder if that is true for the Tesla as well, since it's also a proximity use.
Turning off Bluetooth does in fact turn it off. An Apple Watch will continue to work because it also has wifi and uses that when it is on the same network as the iPhone.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
fitbit I believe uses low energy bluetooth to communicate - any uses out there with a minute to test out turning off their regular BT antenna on their phone and see if they can still get fitbit data (I don't use a fitbit, so not entirely sure now it talks to the phone)

apple watch I don't think uses low energy bt, but standard to talk to the iPhone. haven't heard if it has le bluetooth in it to talk to other things though.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
fitbit I believe uses low energy bluetooth to communicate - any uses out there with a minute to test out turning off their regular BT antenna on their phone and see if they can still get fitbit data (I don't use a fitbit, so not entirely sure now it talks to the phone)
My Fitbit needs the BT to be active in my android tablet to pass data along.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

apple watch I don't think uses low energy bt, but standard to talk to the iPhone. haven't heard if it has le bluetooth in it to talk to other things though.
My Fitbit needs the BT to be active in my android tablet to pass data along.
Same for me with an iPhone. The Fitbit stores data indefinitely but needs BT to get to the app and ultimately the server.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Turning off Bluetooth does in fact turn it off. An Apple Watch will continue to work because it also has wifi and uses that when it is on the same network as the iPhone.
This changed in iOS 11 - using control center to turn off Bluetooth doesn’t actually turn it off. Turning it off in the settings works as it previously did and shuts it off completely.

Apple hasn’t specifically said exactly what Bluetooth functionality remains enabled (they give some examples like Apple Watch connectivity). I would guess that app access to Bluetooth is disabled and the Tesla app doesn’t work, but it would be easy enough to test it.

Edit - looks like there is a list of enabled features, and a better explanation: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/21/ios-11-control-center-bluetooth-wifi/

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also the antenna is shared between Bluetooth and WiFi. You aren't turning the antenna of off, just the BT transceiver.