FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
How was the long trip? Any first time observations or things to note? I am guessing I'll be doing that trip from time to time so it would be cool to get some of your first time thoughts.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How was the long trip? Any first time observations or things to note? I am guessing I'll be doing that trip from time to time so it would be cool to get some of your first time thoughts.
TACC works great - the TX/OU game traffic was an awesome test, and I couldn't be happier with the results. They haven't released auto lane change for Autosteer yet, which really limits its value unless you're willing to be stuck behind the slowest person in your lane. The one peculiar thing was in stop & go traffic with autosteer active when overtaking a semi in an adjacent lane. It would slam on the brakes when about to pass - it did this consistently, as if it was evaluating the object, and would then pass by normally. I'm sure this was annoying to the people behind me, so I eventually stopped using Autosteer. I know more updates are scheduled for EAP this week, so I'm hopefull this will be addressed.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
TACC works great - the TX/OU game traffic was an awesome test, and I couldn't be happier with the results. They haven't released auto lane change for Autosteer yet, which really limits its value unless you're willing to be stuck behind the slowest person in your lane. The one peculiar thing was in stop & go traffic with autosteer active when overtaking a semi in an adjacent lane. It would slam on the brakes when about to pass - it did this consistently, as if it was evaluating the object, and would then pass by normally. I'm sure this was annoying to the people behind me, so I eventually stopped using Autosteer. I know more updates are scheduled for EAP this week, so I'm hopefull this will be addressed.
Thanks! That is awesome to know. I hope they do resolve that. One of my concerns is if the car stops abruptly it would cause risk of rear end collision. I just went down to New Braunfels yesterday and the traffic was quite bad. I am hoping that EAP will make some of that drive less stressful. I was talking to my wife about it on the way back and the only thing that I thought it might have trouble dealing with is the left lane hogs. I constantly have to drive around them. Last night it was crazy someone was doing 55 in the far left lane with a 70 mph speed limit and I was on top of them in no time.

I think the only problem will be me wanting to take the model 3 everywhere which means all 3 kids in the back seat. The van keeps the arguing down somewhat since they can't touch each other.

Oh how do you use TACC without autosteer? Is that possible?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The one peculiar thing was in stop & go traffic with autosteer active when overtaking a semi in an adjacent lane. It would slam on the brakes when about to pass
this has been something reported by many with AP2, so expect it will eventually be corrected - until then, just be aware.

another tip I'd recently seen posted is if you are in stop and go traffic, set the max speed within 20MPH of what you are currently doing, not the max ideal speed. it will be much smoother. So if you are going between 5-15MPH, set it no higher than 35MPH, not 80MPH or it will be lurchy always trying to get back to 80 with the slightest gap.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there any place on the interface to report bugs, so when it does something like this you can press a button and Tesla will investigate? I believe there is something like that on other Teslas.

Fredbob711

Country
Country
@RiggerJon
Couple questions about the phone docking area and the cables...
1. Sorry if this has been answered, but I've read reports that the car comes with 2 cables? One Lightning and one Micro-USB, is that correct?
2. In order to plug your phone in in the docking area, does it look like you have to use the Tesla-supplied cables? Or would a 3rd party cable fit in whatever retention system they're using to hold the plug in place?

Hopefully question #2 gets across what I'm trying to ask, I'm having a hard time with words this morning.

Curious because I have an Android phone that charges via USB-C, so if the car doesn't come with the right cable I'll have to get my own, and if there's one thing I hate overpaying for, it's cables. Amazon has the correct layout USB-C cable for $9, but obviously if it won't fit there's no point in getting it.

Fredbob711

Country
Country

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw that, I'm curious as to whether I have to use that cable or if I can use a cable off Amazon. Like I said, I hate overpaying for cables, and $14 is a bit high in my opinion. It's a personal pet peeve which I realize makes little sense when I'll be paying over $50k for a car, but that's just how I am. :)
If you look at the cable on Tesla store or in videos, you can see it has a right angle connector to fit. I'm sure there will be compatible options available in a few months, but for now probably best to spend a few extra dollars and get it from Tesla. With any luck, the store may let you swap one out when you take delivery.

Also, still no word on how much power is available through USB. Hopefully it's at least 2 Amps to reasonably charge phones.

Edit:. Also note that if you don't care about it having the nice dock to pop in/out, I think you could run most cables through there and just have it hanging out to plug into.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious because I have an Android phone that charges via USB-C, so if the car doesn't come with the right cable I'll have to get my own, and if there's one thing I hate overpaying for, it's cables. Amazon has the correct layout USB-C cable for $9, but obviously if it won't fit there's no point in getting it.
Something else to keep in mind: These USB-C cables are USB-A to USB-C cables. We haven't yet heard what USB standard is supported by the USB-A ports in the Model 3, but my guess would be USB 3.1. If that's the case, then charging would be limited to 900mA @ 5v (4.5 watts).

Most phones with USB-C connectors support much higher charging speeds. The newer USB Power Delivery (PD) standard supports 5A (5000mA) at various voltages. Because of this, you might not want to use those built-in USB-A ports for charging the phone. Instead, you may want to buy car adapter charger and run a cable from that. I am currently using one of these, which supports 3A @ 5v (15 watts) on the USB-C port.

If someone who owns a Model 3 and a phone with a USB-C connector feels like performing some tests, then I can help them figure out what the car's USB-A port charging limit is.

Reference: https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-type-c-and-3-1-explained-656552/