FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mathematically, this is a turning diameter, amirite?
Yes, turning diameter, but there are different ways to measure and I'm not sure what was used......

The link below shows different ways to measure turning "radius" and I'm not sure which method Riggerjon used for the measurements in the post above for diameter. He may have used "wall to wall" where the linked website used "curb to curb". So, it may not be an exact comparison.....just FYI.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_radius

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In either case I'd say it's a fairly tight turning circle and the comment on the OCD video was more related to the fact that the steering wheel only has 3 full turns, lock to lock. Since the wheel did not turn as far as Joe expected or is used to in other cars it gave him the impression that the car would not turn tightly. The above measurement would say differently.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so 30" LESS turning circle than my car that is 27 ½" shorter in length! that is pretty impressive!
was that measured at the tire tracks, or including bumper overhang?
I measured from outside of the front tire at the start, to the outside of the rear tire up completion of the u-turn. No overhangs were included in the measure.

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That's drastic. Interesting, is it linear and is it speed dependant - last one is very expensive thingy.
Linear means quarter turn from TDC turns the wheels as much as from lock to quarter back to TDC.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Crap, sorry guys - I would have sworn it was micro USB, but I just double checked and it’s USB-C. Will edit post above. Sorry for the confusion!
The micro USB cable they have is the bidirectional type so it kinda looks like USB-C because one side isn't wider than the other, but it actually has pointed ends rather than rounded as USB-C does. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are willing to swap whatever you want when you pick it up. I'm sure many people will want two lightning or two USB-c/micro connectors.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I measured from outside of the front tire at the start, to the outside of the rear tire up completion of the u-turn. No overhangs were included in the measure.
thanks! I do think most manufactures release number with the overhang, so that should add a couple feet into the number, but still quite good for a relatively large car.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The micro USB cable they have is the bidirectional type so it kinda looks like USB-C because one side isn't wider than the other, but it actually has pointed ends rather than rounded as USB-C does
USB-C on the left, Micro-USB on the right (click on them for larger versions).
It looks like the Micro-USB connector is reversible, unlike a standard one.

Last edited:

Insaneoctane

Country
Country
It’s about 33.5 ft (turning circle, to be clear)
@RiggerJon, thank you VERY much for taking the time to measure this. It is fantastic news, as it's quite good and more importantly better than what I have now (which I am not happy about). Super happy!

EDIT: Just for grins, I looked up the 2016 BMW M3...... 40 feet!

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@RiggerJon, thank you VERY much for taking the time to measure this. It is fantastic news, as it's quite good and more importantly better than what I have now (which I am not happy about). Super happy!

EDIT: Just for grins, I looked up the 2016 BMW M3...... 40 feet!
My current car (2006 Acura TSX) is also 40 feet. One of the few things about it that has always annoyed me.

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Wow, that's less than almost everything on this list:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/08/top-10-urban-cars/
I'm surprised how well it compares to:
  • BMW i3: 32.4 feet
  • Nissan Leaf: 34.2 feet
  • Honda Fit: 35.1 feet
Rear wheel drive cars can turn the front wheels further and get a smaller turning circle than front wheel drive cars because the bits necessary to drive the wheels in a front wheel drive constrain how far they can turn.