FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I am crossing my fingers that the model 3 is better on tires than the MS/MX due to the weight reduction. I was hoping that accelerated wear would only be due to over use of the accelerator ;). Don't the MS/MX have the ability to disable traction control?
Yes, you can disable traction control in MS/MX. They will smoke the tires. Good luck not using the accelerator. It is so fun leaving those puny gas cars in the rear view from stop lights.

Your best hope is the new “Cool” setting that slows your car down to handle like a gas car. I personally think that is pathetic, but realize many people have no self control.

Country
Country
Any of those that have taken delivery done their own 0-60 test? Apps make it easy to do, and I'm betting there are a bunch of people on here that would love to find out the results, especially with Motor Trends "4.8" results here recently. Thanks.

Number3

Country
Country

Jongaud

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm confused about rear seats height. The first post in this thread says "Rear seat height to floor, 14" " but in the "in-depth look" video we can hear trevp saying it is 10" or so (we can even see the measurement tape, at 22:33)

Where is the 14" coming from ?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Motortrend wrote an article on their test results of the Model 3 with 19-in wheels. Interesting results! Got a 0-60 in 4.8 seconds
Note that MotorTrend subtracts the first foot traveled during acceleration tests. That gives a little bit of an advantage to an EV that can pull hard and get a good speed going in that first foot.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/motor-trend-testing/

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm confused about rear seats height. The first post in this thread says "Rear seat height to floor, 14" " but in the "in-depth look" video we can hear trevp saying it is 10" or so (we can even see the measurement tape, at 22:33)

Where is the 14" coming from ?
the 14" was from this post (added link to post 1 as it looks like it got dropped off at some point)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another thought I had concerning differing acceleration results. I guess it still comes under the heading of "sandbagging", but...
Something to keep in mind: An ICE car's acceleration generally stays consistent, while an electric vehicle's acceleration depends a lot on the state of the battery. If the battery is not warm enough, then it can't deliver as much energy. If the battery charge level is too low, then it can't deliver as much energy. Remember, a Ludicrous launch requires a topped-off battery, and runs the heater to "condition" the battery in preparation for a launch.

Therefore, I'm wondering if 5.1s is the acceleration that can be met under a wide variety of conditions, whereas 4.8s is just what's achievable in more ideal conditions.

Country
Country
Hi Folks (1st post --- please be gentle). I have asked this same question on the Tesla Motors Club Forum, but a forum user suggested I try here instead. Not sure if posting links to other forums is allowed...so will not to do that ensure I stay within the rules.

Here are my Model 3 questions:

Hi, I am still on the waiting list for my model 3....but would like to do some planning.

I have watched a bunch of the videos & searched the FAQ, but have not been able to find an answer to these questions:

1) What are the internal dimensions of the Model 3 glove box? width x depth x height

2) Is the "floor" of the glove box flat so all of the width/depth can be used? (or angled so if something rigid is put inside then it will be at an angle)

3) Is the globe box door opening wider or more narrow than the height inside the glove box?

4) Do you think there is a way to route a cable from the glove box to the usb ports below the phone charger location?

5) What material is the floor of the glove box made of?

6) Do you think the "under side" of the globe box is accessible from above the passengers feet? Maybe I could run a bolt through the safe and tighten the nuts on the end of the bolt....thereby securing the safe in the glove box.

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know anyone with a Model 3 near me, and I can't find this info online.

Thanks in advance for your time & knowledge.

[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Other info: I am not a drug dealer, I transport small valuable items. The windows will be darkened to keep prying eyes from seeing inside the car. I know that securing the safe in/to the glovebox will be key to keeping a snatch-and-run thief away, but a persistent thief with a long screwdriver/bolt_cutters would likely still take the safe (if they can find the nonexistent button to the glove box). [/FONT]

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi Folks (1st post --- please be gentle). I have asked this same question on the Tesla Motors Club Forum, but a forum user suggested I try here instead. Not sure if posting links to other forums is allowed...so will not to do that ensure I stay within the rules.

Hi, I am still on the waiting list for my model 3....but would like to do some planning.

I have watched a bunch of the videos & searched the FAQ, but have not been able to find an answer to these questions:

1) What are the internal dimensions of the Model 3 glove box? width x depth x height

2) Is the "floor" of the glove box flat so all of the width/depth can be used? (or angled so if something rigid is put inside then it will be at an angle)

3) Is the globe box door opening wider or more narrow than the height inside the glove box?

4) Do you think there is a way to route a cable from the glove box to the usb ports below the phone charger location?

6) Do you think the "under side" of the globe box is accessible from above the passengers feet? Maybe I could run a bolt through the safe and tighten the nuts on the end of the bolt....thereby securing the safe in the glove box.

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know anyone with a Model 3 near me, and I can't find this info online.

[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Other info: I am not a drug dealer, I transport small valuable items. The windows will be darkened to keep prying eyes from seeing inside the car. I know that securing the safe in/to the glovebox will be key to keeping a snatch-and-run thief away, but a persistent thief with a long screwdriver/bolt_cutters would likely still take the safe (if they can find the nonexistent button to the glove box). [/FONT]
I was just coming here to post your question from the “other” forum :)

I’m sure you will get an answer, the owners here have been extremely accommodating!

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is tough to answer. The glove box is pretty small and when closed is kinda eclipse shaped with pointed corners. I’ve attached a couple of pics to help demonstrate. What you can’t see is when it closes the usable space is pretty limited if you’re thinking of putting a boxy object in it.

I’m guessing you’ll probably be better served mounting the safe inside of the center console. It’s way bigger and has USBs in the front section and 12v in the rear section.

Attachments

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
An ICE car's acceleration generally stays consistent, while an electric vehicle's acceleration depends a lot on the state of the battery.
I wouldn't say so. Ambient temperature and pressure plays a major role for ICE. Cold engine/transmission even bigger one.
Only high performance EV's have SOMEwhat SOC and battery temperature dependable acceleration results..
Take Leaf for example, it delivers 80kW even at 5% SOC. Or when battery at -10*C.
Or any non performance (haha, is there any?) Tesla. I've hardly seen any difference in acceleration.
Anything below 10% compared to ideal from 0-100kmh is not a difference that could be noticed at everyday driving.
Cold tires or fluctuating road roughness plays that much role, if not more.

I have an example. Previous summer went to Ukraine with friend. Ambient 28*C in shade. Pavement around 60*C.
Having some fun with 5-series 530d, 180kW, I knew exactly how much should that vehicle deliver. But it did not.
I felt loss of around 30-35% at speeds between 120-190km/h. Reason: intercooler and fuel radiator did little.
ICE lost a lot of power due to thermal efficiency being compromised by hot air and fuel before combustion.

I wouldn't say EV acceleration doesn't fluctuate. Just say that ICEV acceleration is way more prone to fluctuations.

Last edited: