FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Ok so here's what happened when I tried the following:

1. Window open, car in Park, opened door, got out, closed door and pressed window close button (note that the car is still unlocked)- window closes fully.

2. Window open, car in Park, opened door, got out, closed door, LOCKED CAR, and pressed window close button- window remains down. No alarm sounded.

3. Window open, car in Park, opened door, got out, closed door, LOCKED CAR, PUT PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE and pressed window close button- window remained down. No alarm sounded.*

4. Window open, car in Park, opened door, got out, closed door, LOCKED CAR, PUT PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE and tried to press electronic DOOR OPEN button- door did not open. No alarm sounded.*

*My tests were done immediately after locking the car and putting the phone in airplane mode. A couple months ago when a friend and I did similar tests, the alarm WOULD go off, but only after a minute or more of leaving the vehicle untouched, so I theorize that I didn't allow enough time for the alarm to set before I started pushing buttons this time. My phone was also always within inches from the car (even in airplane mode) so maybe some residual BT signal still connected the car. We need to run more extensive tests with more refined scenarios:

a. Do all of the above with phone physically more than 50 feet away from and/or blocked by building OR phone turned off.
b. wait at 30s, 1m, 2m intervals before testing.
Thank you, very informative,

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Good tests, thanks for doing that. What about if you use the mechanical door release instead of the electric?
It looks like the alarm is time-based. I did another round of tests and locked the car, waited one minute, and tried to open the door via either electronic or manual door releases. The alarm went off both times, but ONLY after I had waited one minute. Fumbling with the car anytime before the one minute time is up won't trigger any alarms.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Also, learned this the hard way: What happens if you leave someone in the car with all doors closed and walk away?

Answer: If they open the door the alarm triggers. Bonus, the car alarm alert on the app DOES work!

I left my friend to take a call in private inside the car and when he was done he triggered the alarm coming out. Oops, sorry dude!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, learned this the hard way: What happens if you leave someone in the car with all doors closed and walk away?

Answer: If they open the door the alarm triggers. Bonus, the car alarm alert on the app DOES work!

I left my friend to take a call in private inside the car and when he was done he triggered the alarm coming out. Oops, sorry dude!
You rock for taking all the time to test and detail all of this! Thank you!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Wait. Is that what other cars do? So if I leave the teen in the car and go in the store and take the “key”, doors lock with him inside and if he pushes the button to get out, the alarm will go off? Is that onLy with the windows down? I am gonna have to try that with our other cars now. I don’t think I have ever set the alarm off that way.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait. Is that what other cars do? So if I leave the teen in the car and go in the store and take the “key”, doors lock with him inside and if he pushes the button to get out, the alarm will go off? Is that onLy with the windows down? I am gonna have to try that with our other cars now. I don’t think I have ever set the alarm off that way.
Windows up or down doesn’t matter, most cars don’t know if you left someone inside. Lock the car, allow enough time for the alarm to set (usually 60 sec. or so but the exact time will vary), and then open a door by pulling the handle from the inside and the alarm should sound. The car only knows a door is opened without the remote unlocking it. Lots of cars will also do this if you use the key instead of the remote to unlock.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Windows up or down doesn’t matter, most cars don’t know if you left someone inside. Lock the car, allow enough time for the alarm to set (usually 60 sec. or so but the exact time will vary), and then open a door by pulling the handle from the inside and the alarm should sound. The car only knows a door is opened without the remote unlocking it. Lots of cars will also do this if you use the key instead of the remote to unlock.
I am gonna have to try this. Guess it just never has happened to me

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Car had all windows up and I left the key card with my friend so he could lock the car when he was done, but looks like the car didn't recognize if there was someone inside. Maybe if he had placed the key card on the front console the car would have behaved differently and wouldn't have locked itself, but friend just had the card in his pocket.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Maevra Random question: do shorter people adjust their seats higher to see better, or lower to be closer to the floor? I'm guessing higher. Do you and your SO have memory settings for each of you, and have you noticed the seat going up or down from one to the other?

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
@Maevra Random question: do shorter people adjust their seats higher to see better, or lower to be closer to the floor? I'm guessing higher. Do you and your SO have memory settings for each of you, and have you noticed the seat going up or down from one to the other?
I prefer to have the seat up higher to see over the dash and also move the seat forward to reach the pedals. Yes, SO and I have saved profiles and we do see the seats adjusting, both up/down and forward/back- it's very funny to watch because of the huge discrepancy in our sizes. :D

I will say, the car does not always adjust mirrors to the correct setting. It could be off by just a little bit and SO or I have to tap our profile again and it will adjust, or we'll just tweak it manually. Happens in the Model S/X as well in my experience.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm curious with the auto window movement for door opening and closing, what happens if you leave the window cracked 1/2" for ventilation?

Does the window still move when opening/closing, does it remain cracked?
The window will remain cracked open if you lower it manually. I think this has to do with the level of the window. If I crack open the window using the controls it goes down further, about two inches, vs. the one inch auto-open when the door opens.

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Country
Country
came across this video with amp measurements on the (4) USB ports
interestingly, 2.25A on the rear, 1A on the front. So if you need a quicker phone recharge, go with the rear USB (power only) ports
I remember when this was posted either on TMC or reddit. Someone claiming to have worked on the USB ports in the 3 claimed that all ports offer high power. They just require a device that requests the higher power first.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember when this was posted either on TMC or reddit. Someone claiming to have worked on the USB ports in the 3 claimed that all ports offer high power. They just require a device that requests the higher power first.
it looks like the chromebook he was using can pull up to 2.4A from USB... and it was only getting 1A from the front ports

Country
Country
Car had all windows up and I left the key card with my friend so he could lock the car when he was done, but looks like the car didn't recognize if there was someone inside. Maybe if he had placed the key card on the front console the car would have behaved differently and wouldn't have locked itself, but friend just had the card in his pocket.
Have the passenger put the card key in the standard location above the cup holders, so the car knows it's there. Alternatively, I think the passenger can just tap the center screen after you've exited the car, and the car will stay on, even if locked. (Might have to tap screen after car is locked and screen goes dark.)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I guess they only expect high current usage (kids gaming on tablets) to be in the rear seats. Still odd that it wasn't the same high power in the front ... at least it's not 500ma.
Since the the two front USB connectors can be used to play music from media drives, but the back two USB ports can only be used for powering devices, would that have any effect on the current as well? Like lower current= not needed for rear since it won't play media?

Rich M

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since the the two front USB connectors can be used to play music from media drives, but the back two USB ports can only be used for powering devices, would that have any effect on the current as well? Like lower current= not needed for rear since it won't play media?
The front need at least 2.0A to properly charge a modern phone. 1 amp will barely hold a charge on many bigger phones, especially if the screen is on.